Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: solar coupled optical fiber

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Aromaru, I seem to be as 'Crazy as a frog of foxes". However, except when I'm violating Clarke's first law, I'm usually pretty good at what I do. You may wish to quietly inquire from other PLers what I did for a living before the economy went south. I used to be very, very, good at what I did.

A look at a 6200 Kelvin spectrum for a black body compared to the adsorption curve of fused silica fiber might be in order. He can't afford a broad spectrum chalcogenide fiber. I can get him some huge medical fibers, but he can't make the required spot size to match the NA.

Relax,

Swami knows enough about optics to mock up what he's trying to do before he knocks a hole in his roof. Besides, he'll call my best friend, and they will go out in the desert and drink after they try this.

Chris,

If you can find a old Super-Trouper based on carbon arc (Possibly converted to xenon at one time), you might be amazed at the pyrex long focal lenses in the long throw versions, These can be had for the asking in many major cities as they are replaced with Xenon, Halide, and LED. You just want the lenses in their mounting rings, ditch the arc and body. I pulled a set out of two scrapped Troupers on campus a few years ago. They make nice burners.

Electronic Goldmine had some huge plastic 4 foot square Fresnels with 13 foot focal lengths about 3 years ago, They were not hot sellers. They might still have some. We bought one at the lab for a project, and got "burned" because Goldmine was "optomystic" (pun intended) on the focal length.

One meter square front surface mirrors show up in dead projection TVs by the road, all the time.

Remember to use a assist gas and fume evacuator, pine tar fumes are nasty.

Have fun,

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-29-2011 at 16:34.

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 10:54.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

I called you last week about it . I'm spending the week hunting for arrow heads and dinosaur bones in colorado/utah.

When I'm back, I'll grab the lumia box, the digerido, and meet you in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Wizardry View Post
    Beer: check

Lasers: check

Desert: check

Swami?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    I called you last week about it . I'm spending the week hunting for arrow heads and dinosaur bones in colorado/utah.

When I'm back, I'll grab the lumia box, the digerido, and meet you in the desert.
    I'll be there Friday with Fieldmax and PM1K in hand .

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i haven't had any free time to dedicate to this project, but i stumbled across this incredible inspiring site today:

http://thisiscolossal.com/2011/06/markus-kayser-builds-a-solar-powered-3d-printer-that-prints-glass-from-sand-and-a-sun-powered-laser-cutter/

this guy built a sun tracking concentrator that fuses sand.. magic!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.