Thread: Mach3 s command causes delay

Default Mach3 s command causes delay

Just recently started to get addicted to laser engraving, I have a 6w laser diode from opt lasers.com that I've hooked up to my 1325 CNC took me awhile but eventually sussed everything out running smoothly now, except for one thing that has driven me nutz to point I want to take a hammer to my computer, I use mach3 to to run my machine and pwm to control laser power with obviously spindle speed S command and m7\m9 for on and off, does any one know why evrytime mach3 hits the S# command it jogs? Only for this evrythink else runs smoothly. Any help would be much appreciated.

M7/M9 is coolant on/off, any reason for using that over M3/(M4)/M5?

When you say it jogs, in what axis?
    Can you post some code you've run which is problematic?
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Hi, Daniel
    Thank you for you're time, I don't have the gcode with atm , both x and y axis pauses causing machine to not have a continuous velocity, the actual button for start cycle flicks on and off when it gets to a S command , I use m7 and m9 because there is a quicker response to turn on laser other then m3 and m5 , not much of a difference but still better.

My gcode from memory starts something like this-

G64
    G1 x0 y0 z0
    F2000
    M7
    S01

Raster is at 45 degrees, I use 3dpburner to create gcode although tryn out picngrave pro 5 demo but still same thing but much more options.

Here is a video of first trial run
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8q...w?usp=drivesdk

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a video of first trial run
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8q...w?usp=drivesdk

... I'm mostly using a sort of PWM for setting the power of my lasers, not analogue voltage - the 'effective' (or averaged) power is defined by the length of the pulse at max. power ... common settings for engraving are between 1 to 100 microseconds per pulse, for cutting mostly between 50 to 300 microseconds.

As the pulses are equidistant, the pulse time defines the averaged power, what's the same effect as changing the laser power, but I can adjust it much more precise.

Here is a longer thread about one of the engravers - http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?133,235148

... see especially the attached samples and linked videos in the latest posts ...

Or the complete related forums section - http://forums.reprap.org/list.php?133

As program I'm using Editask10 (comercial-) or Pronterface (modified OS-program) ...

Viktor
    Last edited by VDX; 05-15-2016 at 07:19.

You mentioned in your code you put "S01"

What did you set the minimum spindle speed to be? and max?
    If "S1" ("1RPM" as Mach would view it) is less than your min, it might be bumping up the PWM to it's minimum, which might cause something odd.
    How are you interfacing Mach3 to your machine? Parallel port? Smoothstepper?

Have you got an oscilloscope to hand? Have you checked the PWM signal coming out the controller is correct?

Have you got a tool changer on the mill? If so, have you tried disabling the ATC functionality (in terms of how it handles tool + start commands) as sometimes you can set Mach to move to a position before starting the spindle.

One final thing... you've definitely got the correct wiring on your "coolant output" output?
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

I had a similar issue on my mill, start the spindle and the z moved down. turned out to be a earth issue
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

My spindle pulley was set at a maximum of 23000 but I changed this to match my software so its set at 0- 255 I've tried 0-1000 etc.

It is connected through USB port I'm using leafboy77 motion controller, I have connected laser driver just to grnd, and 0-5v.

ATC function is set to ignore on mach3

I upgraded maxh3 this morning to latest version , it is much quicker and flickering has stopped on cycle run button, but machine is still slowing down at s command , also machine was running alot slower when I had a m7 in front of the s every time I had a frequency change for laser power.

Quote Originally Posted by X07gavrp View Post
    My spindle pulley was set at a maximum of 23000 but I changed this to match my software so its set at 0- 255 I've tried 0-1000 etc.

It is connected through USB port I'm using leafboy77 motion controller, I have connected laser driver just to grnd, and 0-5v.

ATC function is set to ignore on mach3

I upgraded maxh3 this morning to latest version , it is much quicker and flickering has stopped on cycle run button, but machine is still slowing down at s command , also machine was running alot slower when I had a m7 in front of the s every time I had a frequency change for laser power.
    I finally decided to wire up laser to A axis steps and control laser power via 0-1mm and use picngrave pro 5 demo , now I have no delays at all, thankyou to every1 for your time