Page 33 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: DTR's Laser Shop: Diodes-Drivers-Lenses-LEDs & More

Nice, lenses are not glued on the diode so a spotless clean diode. And the 9mm cans can handle allot of power and so if you stick to the datasheet and have them running on the right temperture they will have a long lifetime Thanks for the pictures. I,m happy to join with others to fund the next teardown!!

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

About how much was the projector?

And thanks for the tear down.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Will you be selling LEDs from these? I am assuming these LEDs are red and green.
    Red and Blue. The LED's went to the other participants which were Daguin and Blord. I am not sure but what Blord is doing but I believe Daguin would sell the red one he has.

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... could be it's too armored only with blue LD's, but two phospor segments creating green and red on the colour wheel ... correct?

Viktor
    One thing has been coming fairly clear to me with all the different units I have torn down is that the only color that the lasers are really needed to make is Green. I have seen projectors where the diodes only make green like this one, ones where they make green and blue and ones where they make all three colors with a phospher wheel. I have never seen one where the lasers don't make the green. I think they don't just do all LED projectors and get 20,000 hour rating is that there is some problem with getting enough power out of Green LED's or maybe they can fine tune the wavelength with lasers better than any green LED that is available. Either way I suspect the only reason they are using lasers is for the Green as strange it sounds with blue diodes.

Quote Originally Posted by MIIKKKLLLL View Post
    I like the cooling design for the blue diodes !

Did you see a phosphor wheel inside the projector?

These 2 LEDs could be used for 2 deeps of red

Also the mounting is simple, no TECs for LEDs, no temp sensor...

Yea I thought the same when I saw it. It is an awesome design. Yes there is a phosper wheel. I will try to get a picture of it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    Great Job DTR. Those those leds are indeed interesting. Are they branded?

Yes they are PT-121's.
    http://www.luminus.com/products/PT-121.html

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    10 diodes in series ! This means low spread in specs. So better binning or they fully mastered production.

Interesting fill-pattern for the LDs. Does it have a knife-edging assemby too ?

Nice heat-pipe assemby, I imagine people will love these for their builds too!

Yep the large housing has a knife edge array. I still need to tear down some body parts and get some more pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    About how much was the projector?

And thanks for the tear down.

chad

It was $2600 so it is not the best source for these but if you don't try you will never know. I have a few others on my list but I just need to recoup a little before tackling them.
    Last edited by DTR; 03-08-2013 at 08:53.

The Diodes appear to be the same diodes we have seen from the other sources

The lenses are larger diameter than what we get from the others
    My calipers crapped out on me so I measured with a ruler
    The lenses are ~9mm dia
    They will NOT fit into any of the "common" lens nuts or modules we use

Since I do not yet have a mounting solution for this lens, I do NOT know the focal distance or beam characteristics using them yet

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Will you be selling LEDs from these? I am assuming these LEDs are red and green.
    Re: availability of the PT-121 LED's
    I have one blue and one red with the optics from the projector available at $70 each
    I have one red without the optics available for $60

Pop me a PM.
    We'll work something out

Peace,
    dave
    Last edited by daguin; 03-08-2013 at 18:38.

While we are waiting for some info from dave on the lenses here are the pics of the optics for the unit.

This is the main housing.

Here are all the optics I found that I could get out. There is still one huge lens that is glued in that I could not get out but here we have some mirrors, quite a few lenses of varying shapes and sizes, some dicros, a diffraction grating, a phospher wheel and a really neat looking dual prism.

This is the first time I have seen one of these in a projector.

Now on speaking of the 9mm diodes this is the fourth projector I have found these diodes in so far and this package size seems to be the new norm. It may be the other company was only using a 5.6mm version because of their slimline units.

Last edited by DTR; 05-03-2014 at 12:31.

It is a TIR prism.

That makes sense. All the other projectors I have been in so far have just used a single mirror to complete that task.

I 've ust read that DTR will have these PL520 diodes

... just a few hours after I paypaled andy . chances will be slim that we will reach the 50 pcs quotum now ..

I Just did a couple Power readings and Measurements of this lens that Came out of the "Pan" Projector.

Here are some Photos and Videos of my results.

The Power Test Videos:

I Compared this "Pan" Lens to a G2 lens in both these videos.

Here is a Power Reading using a Mitsu 500mW P73 638nm diode:

Here is the Power Reading using a 9mm 445nm diode(For some reason it wont let me Post more then 1 video at a time so here is the link):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv-CQynychk

There seems to be a Slight power difference between The "Pan" Lens and the G2 lens. I have not yet dont a Cut out module setup to see if this power difference is due to a Clipped beam or some other factor. But I believe its not being Clipped. The Focal length seems to be somewhere ~7mm. Ill get you guys the exact number when i make the cut out module this weekend.

Here are also some Pictures I took at 22 feet of the Dot Comparison. Sorry its a little difficult to see the numbers on the 445nm shots. It was very difficult to show it without washing out the camera picture.

First up is the 500mW Mitsu 638nm P73 diode with the "Pan" Lens:
    (22 Feet Distance/ 38.69mm Dot "-" Size)

Dropped My Calipers during theses Pictures. Cracked the Glass on the display.Errr

Now with the G2 lens:
    (22 Feet Distance/ 66.95mm Dot "-" Size)

Here are the Picture with the 9mm 445nm diode.

First up is the 9mm 445nm diode with the "Pan" Lens:
    (22 Feet Distance/ 17.15mm Dot "-" Size)

With G2 lens Now:
    (22 Feet Distance/ 28.41mm Dot "-" Size)

Here is a Picture how i mounted the lens. Basically i Machined the Lens nut out on the inside IIRC 7.6mm which allowed a perfect lip for the Crown of the lens to sit on. I used a Little Thermal Adhesive to hold the lens in place and then centered it and let it set for 12 hours. It mounted perfectly. The Module i used where the longer copper modules that DTR has and the lens fits in there perfect. With the Stander size Modules the problem is not the Diameter of the lens as that will fit, but the problem is the depth due to the way i mounted it the module has to be longer since the threads dont start till the lens is already past focus. Iam not sure if its possible to machine a lens nut for this lens to fit in a stander size 12mm module.

Here are a couple photos of the lens coating and shape:

Front:

Back:

Thanks.

Lazeerer,

Can you give some near field measurements on the beam size right after the lens for both diodes?