Thread: Combining Colors, pbs and Dichros

Default Combining Colors, pbs and Dichros

Okay, here is my setup.

340mW @ 640nm
    200mW @ 532nm
    400mW @ 445nm

I also have a 100mW 473nm. I would like to combine the two blues together. Would would be the best way to achieve this? Are there very narrow band dichros that will let me combine my 445 and 473 or would it be better to try and run them through a PBS?

I am curious about reds too. Are there dichros that will reflect longer wavelengths, like 660 and pass shorter, like 640 or even 635?

I know other have pondered this... fuller spectrum by adding multiple wavelengths of different colors. Has anyone done much work on this?

The one I am mainly interested in is the blue. I would like to get those going.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i'd use a pbs cube. combine the two blues, then combine the blue beam with the red and the green via dichros.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Okay, here is my setup.

340mW @ 640nm
    200mW @ 532nm
    400mW @ 445nm

I also have a 100mW 473nm. I would like to combine the two blues together. Would would be the best way to achieve this? Are there very narrow band dichros that will let me combine my 445 and 473 or would it be better to try and run them through a PBS?

I am curious about reds too. Are there dichros that will reflect longer wavelengths, like 660 and pass shorter, like 640 or even 635?

I know other have pondered this... fuller spectrum by adding multiple wavelengths of different colors. Has anyone done much work on this?

The one I am mainly interested in is the blue. I would like to get those going.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I have everything combined and working great, but I just wanted to throw that 473 in there and utilize the D.Blue and L.Blue outputs from my QM. I love the color of 445, but it is too dark for balanced graphics. Although, I love the violets it makes!

Thanks!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I found this that would seemingly work:

Edmund Optics part number NT64-291
    http://www.edmundoptics.com/products...productID=3119

It's $200 buckaroos though.

I'm looking for alternatives too. A PBS won't work for me since I'm already using one to combine multiple 445's. Edmund has good stuff, but there usually the most expensive.

Does anyone know of a cheaper source for a 445 - 473 dichro?

It seems as if that will work. I can tell you now that these will be EXTREMELY angle dependent. If you move that dichro off of 45 deg. chances are the efficiencies will drop considerably.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

I have wondered what happens if I try to knife edge combine lasers of different nms?

I was thinking of doing this with rgb for lumia or spiro efxs not necessarily for a galvo scanners.

Also what happens if you try to combine different nms with a BSC or a PBSC? I will eventualy know after I try but maybe somebody can tell me now what to expect. thnX........... hak

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

it works fine. i've done knife edging for lumia. here's the rig i built for NWLEM. it has high power red diode knife edged with a multiline argon (thanks daguin!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knife-edged-lumia.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	26542

Name:	knife-edged-lumia-02.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	425.7 KB 
ID:	26543

Name:	knife-edged-lumia-03.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	354.1 KB 
ID:	26544

Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    I have wondered what happens if I try to knife edge combine lasers of different nms?

I was thinking of doing this with rgb for lumia or spiro efxs not necessarily for a galvo scanners.

Also what happens if you try to combine different nms with a BSC or a PBSC? I will eventualy know after I try but maybe somebody can tell me now what to expect. thnX........... hak
    Last edited by swamidog; 08-12-2011 at 13:11.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.