Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High power leds

Quote Originally Posted by Xytrell View Post
    150W HPS lamps output 16000lm when new.
    Hi,
    You´re comparing apples to oranges here... (HPS orange light indeed LOL )
    This kind of lamp is not used in any moving head/scanner fixture, they are intended to street lights, check their color temp, 2000K!
    Martin MAC KRYPTON 250 = 250W HID Lamp = 5000 Lumems = 60W LED = CHAUVET QSPOT260
    I got both these fixtures and can attest to their claims. (Martin outputs just a bit more light to be fair...)

Cheers,
    Bruno

A 600W+ LED would be needed to replace a 1200W HID...

Look at MAC 350 (It has 7x50W Luminus LEDs):
    Link

8000 lm output sufficient to replace 575 watt HID fixtures
    I bet they know what they are talking about

/Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by laserdj View Post
    Martin MAC KRYPTON 250 = 250W HID Lamp = 5000 Lumems
    That is very inefficient for an HID lamp unless it's a short-arc. If it's a short-arc, it would have a MUCH smaller emitting area compared to a 50W LED, so it should make up for the inefficiency with image sharpness.

Quote Originally Posted by laserdj View Post
    This kind of lamp is not used in any moving head/scanner fixture, they are intended to street lights
    Yes - I was commenting on the street light video.

-"Martin MAC KRYPTON 250 = 250W HID Lamp = 5000 Lumems = 60W LED = CHAUVET QSPOT260
    I got both these fixtures and can attest to their claims. (Martin outputs just a bit more light to be fair...)

The other concern with LED is the color temperature of the light. Using just the rated lumen output isn't good enough. That is why the one source seems "brighter" than the other. It is a matter of perception. (As you age you need the light to be "whiter" to be able to see things comparably to when you were younger.)
    I work in a lighting store and I have been watching the developments in LEDs as they are starting to enter the consumer market here in North America and you need to carefully research ALL available specs to be able to compare products.
    The color temp, (27K, 31K, 40K, 50K) the output angle, the rated range, (some ratings are only for the "sweet spot" of the beam at optimal distance) the nominal power level versus the tested level of power, etc. As there are so many new start-up companies all vying for the market there isn't a standardized method of listing performance characteristics. So many use their top results in only a few of the factors to try to market their products differently than the rest.

So be aware and look closely at all the information available.

BTW - I like the much lower power consumption levels of the new LED lights and the cooler temperature "no duty cycles" fixtures without fans that operate almost silently myself. You know that a simple automotive inverter can power a whole lightshow while camping for a "Stag" party with better lights than most clubs have ?

Low power consumption is a great plus.
    Color temp of the led in my fixtures is 6000K
    Of course due to the nature of leds color reproduction is less than optimal... this is clearly noticeable when you use RED for example.
    But I think that with the 40.000 hour duration of the leds, lighter weight, insanely fast strobe, looong duty-cycles, instant re-strike, etc... this is a good trade-off.
    Check youtube for videos of chauvet's Q-SPOT and Q-BEAM... nice fixtures...

Default alternative to laser, is LED possible

hello
    i know this may sound like a weird question..... does anyone know if there is any type of LED or any other light BESIDES laser that could be used for a project i'm working on? I know laser could do it but can not use laser because of safety issue and cost. I need it to light up outdoor green grass in direct sunlight like a laser would. i have a project i'm working on and i do not build lights, laser, etc. I just can't get my idea out of my head until i find a way how. i know the question is vague but their is patent pending on this idea just trying to finish developing it. thanks in advance.

lasers and sunlight, you can simply forget it

even stupid high powers won't cut it...

and if high power lasers won't do the trick, nothing will.
    except if you collimate some of the incoming sunlight maybe
    "its called character briggs..."

Agreed. You do not want to be working with or paying the cost for a laser that will illuminate grass in direct sunlight. Describe your application more fully and the recommendations are more likely to follow. Patents do not pend on just a concept. Anything worth the typical $10,000 price tag of a patent has to be developed and researched with enough due-diligence that you will not likely loose your stake by being more explicit.