Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "LivePad Pro" - A new control surface for Pangolin software.

Default "LivePad Pro" - A new control surface for Pangolin software.

Howdy all,
    I have been working on this new super-multi-gizmo control doofer for enhanced control of LivePro from an iPad.
    At first I started writing an application from scratch in Xcode, however I abandoned it to make use of the excellent Touch-OSC.

So... cutting to the chase:
    I present four new control layouts; for use with LivePro and Quickshow, with tailored versions written for both iPad and iPhone.

They are seen as a standard MIDI controller within LivePro and Quickshow, so are fully compatible. All have been tested and confirmed working on FB3 and QM systems.
    (They would also be therefore compatible with any other MIDI-compliant laser show software; however the interfaces are tailored specifically for these two Pangolin products.)

As there is a multi-touch screen present on the iPad/iPhone, several controls can be operated at the same time, offering more flexibility in a live environment.

For LivePro - iPad Edition

All controls work very smoothly over WiFi, and response feels instant.
    (Average delay over WiFi is less than 30ms.)

Live Controls
    The interface is laid out in colour coded sections, with key functions located around the edges. All the standard live control features are present; brightness, scanrate, size, position etc. with additions of everything from transitions, soft pausing, to beat control!

Cue Grid
    Cues can be launched directly from the iPad too! Offering a full 12x8 grid, and full 9-page navigation; you can access every cue from your entire workspace, wirelessly.

Beam Chases
    Control of beam chases is accessible, enabling one to change the speed and chase on-the-fly.

For LivePro - iPhone Edition

Essentially containing almost all of the features present in the iPad edition, except spread about over a tabbed interface.

For Quickshow - iPad Edition
    Due to the reduced MIDI feature set that Quickshow offers, the interface was scaled back accordingly. There is only one tab available on the Quickshow iPad layout, however all addressable controls have been included.

- Includes basic control for Virtual LJ.
    - Cue grid is currently not present.

For Quickshow - iPhone Edition
    Again containing all of the features present in the iPad edition, except spread about over a tabbed interface.

I have made all of these tools for my own use, however should there be any interest in them, I would be happy to release them as "beer-ware".

Over the next few days I will package them all up, write an installation and getting started guide etc. (It's fairly simple; just a few little steps required to get everything talking.)

Zo, nea shopping, nea collo, te "super-gizmo". *pop*

Dan

Update:
    (06/01/12)

Availability:
    Please contact Pangolin to obtain these, as they are now available to all Pangolin customers.

What do you get?
    • 4 Excellent layouts for iPad/iPhone/iPod for both LivePro (QM & FB3 versions) and Quickshow.
    • Unlimited support to get your up and running.
    • Free updates for life! (Should I release any improved versions.)

FAQs:

When will I receive my layouts?
    Within 24 hours. Hopefully within 2 hours, ±2hours.

Can I share the layouts with others?
    Absolutely not. This is working on the basis of a "per user trust" licence.

What about editing the layouts?
    Of course you can! However should anyone have any comments/improvements/finds a bug, get in touch with me, then I can update the originals and send out updated versions to all who purchased them so everyone benefits.

So can't I just go and make my own templates for free?
    Absolutely! However what I am offering is a suite of polished layouts, ready to run out of the box, with support, saving you countless hours of fiddling.

Will there be Android support?
    While there is a version of TouchOSC for Android, it is a very stripped feature set. I will try my best to find a solution to this...

What about the TouchOSC Developer?
    I will contact Rob the developer of TouchOSC and make a donation for his excellent application!

Installation:

Requirements:
    • iDevice with iOS 4.2 or later
    • WiFi network
    • For full functionality LivePro 5.1.725.2020 and/or Quickshow 2.0.725.312
      (Older versions should work fine, with the possibility of one or two MIDI commands not functioning)

Setup Process:

1. Install TouchOSC on iDevice:
      Install Touch OSC on your iDevice; cost is $4.99 or £2.99.
      http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/touch...288120394?mt=8

2. Install TouchOSC Editor on computer:
      Install Touch OSC Editor on your computer.
      http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

Direct download links:

Start the editor, and open up one of the templates.
      When it has loaded click "Sync" (you may need to ensure any firewalls are disabled)

On your iDevice, load up TouchOSC (make sure you are connected to WiFi first!)
      Tap "Layout" -> "Add"
      Your computer name should appear in the list under "found hosts". Tap it, and the layout will download and install.
      Press "Stop Sync" on your computer.
      Repeat on each device for each appropriate layout.

3. Install Apple Bonjour
      If not already installed, make sure Bonjour networking services are installed on your computer
      http://support.apple.com/kb/DL999
      This allows your computer to find your iDevice on the network, without the need for messing with IP's and whatnot.

4. Install rtpMIDI:
      http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/rtpMIDI.html
      This is a virtual MIDI driver that connects your iDevice to LivePro/Quickshow.
      Make sure to give a meaningful label in the "Local name" box; I used LivePro. This will be the name of the device that appears in the LivePro and Quickshow MIDI dialogue.

With your iDevice connected to the same WiFi network, and TouchOSC running with the layout added, it should appear under the "Directory" area. Click "Connect" and it will move over to the "Participants" section. Finally click "Enable" to start the virtual MIDI connection.

5. Configure LivePro:
      Start LivePro, and click Environment -> MIDI settings. Ensure your newly created virtual MIDI controller is selected in MIDI In #1.

Under the "MIDI to Sliders" tab, go through each control on the iDevice "teaching" LivePro the MIDI commands to use.

If you are going to use an iPad, I strongly suggest you setup LivePro with the iPad version FIRST. Both the iPad and iPhone layouts use synonymous controls, meaning you don't need to setup your iPhone once you have completed it with the iPad.
      This applies in the same way to the Quickshow version. Both can be used without resetting MIDI controls, due to the setting of the global synonymous controls between layouts.

After a few minutes of clicking and tapping, you should end up with something like this:
      (Shown in full for completeness)

Repeat this same "teaching" process for the "Special Keys"
      (Shown in full for completeness)

In order to get the cue grid working; select a the first cue in LivePro, and under the "Cue" tab on the right hand side, expand the "Others" section and click on the "MIDI note" tab. Click "learn" and tap the first cue square on the iPad. Repeat this for all cues. (It only takes a few minutes)... honest!

Important: do not use "global note assignment", use "local note assignment" instead. Think of global as absolute to that cue on that page, whereas local is any cue on that position on any page. This using local notes you can navigate the pages triggering every cue.

6. Configure Quickshow:
      This setup works in much the same way as LivePro.
      Under "Settings" -> "MIDI Settings" ensure your virtual MIDI driver is selected.

Under "MIDI Shortcuts" learn each function to the corresponding control on the iDevice.

Under "MIDI to Live Control", again learn each function to the corresponding control on the iDevice.

That's it - You're done! Luckily you only have to go through all this once.
    Enjoy!

Note: Special thanks to Graham (skulpture) who showed me TouchOSC many a LEM ago. Ta dude!

Any problems, questions or suggestions; send them this way.

Best Regards,
    Dan
    Last edited by danielbriggs; 01-06-2012 at 04:04. Reason: Added lots more info... :)
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Oarsome!

Very interested, very very interested
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Howdy all,
    I have been working on this new super-multi-gizmo control doofer for enhanced control of LivePro from an iPad.
    At first I started writing an application from scratch in Xcode, however I abandoned it to make use of the excellent Touch-OSC.

So... cutting to the chase:
    I present four new control layouts; for use with LivePro and Quickshow, with tailored versions written for both iPad and iPhone.

They are seen as a standard MIDI controller within LivePro and Quickshow, so are fully compatible. All have been tested and confirmed working on FB3 and QM systems.
    (They would also be therefore compatible with any other MIDI-compliant laser show software; however the interfaces are tailored specifically for these two Pangolin products.)

As there is a multi-touch screen present on the iPad/iPhone, several controls can be operated at the same time, offering more flexibility in a live environment.

For LivePro - iPad Edition

All controls work very smoothly over WiFi, and response feels instant.
    (Average delay over WiFi is less than 30ms.)

Live Controls
    The interface is laid out in colour coded sections, with key functions located around the edges. All the standard live control features are present; brightness, scanrate, size, position etc. with additions of everything from transitions, soft pausing, to beat control!

Cue Grid
    Cues can be launched directly from the iPad too! Offering a full 12x8 grid, and full 9-page navigation; you can access every cue from your entire workspace, wirelessly.

Beam Chases
    Control of beam chases is accessible, enabling one to change the speed and chase on-the-fly.

For LivePro - iPhone Edition

Essentially containing almost all of the features present in the iPad edition, except spread about over a tabbed interface.

For Quickshow - iPad Edition
    Due to the reduced MIDI feature set that Quickshow offers, the interface was scaled back accordingly. There is only one tab available on the Quickshow iPad layout, however all addressable controls have been included.

- Includes basic control for Virtual LJ.
    - Cue grid is currently not present.

For Quickshow - iPhone Edition
    Again containing all of the features present in the iPad edition, except spread about over a tabbed interface.

I have made all of these tools for my own use, however should there be any interest in them, I would be happy to release them as "beer-ware".

Over the next few days I will package them all up, write an installation and getting started guide etc. (It's fairly simple; just a few little steps required to get everything talking.)

Zo, nea shopping, nea collo, te "super-gizmo". *pop*

Dan
    I want this!!!! NICE JOB!!!!

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Looks very "Star Trekky".

So, how do we obtain this gem Dan?

Its worth some quids of mine, just for the novelty factor!
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    So, how do we obtain this gem Dan?

Its worth some quids of mine, just for the novelty factor!

I'll get it packed up and documented tomorrow; ready to hit the shelves then.

That's cool looking.

What'll it be, just an ipa we can drag to the apps in iTunes?
    Frikkin Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    What'll it be, just an ipa we can drag to the apps in iTunes?
    You just point your iDevice to your PC over WiFi and it sucks the bits over.

Is that something new and cool, or am I just a bit in the dark ages?
    Frikkin Lasers