Thread: Affordable DMX with decent quality? (bang for ur buck)

Default Affordable DMX with decent quality? (bang for ur buck)

Heya guys, Still doing lasering mostly, but DMX certainly got my interest too when I got my first dac, though I ignored it because I had to save money for a laser projector (and will certainly spend more on it).'So my QM and easylase both have DMX. and I soon might have some more money availble which I sooner or later will use to buy some DMX hardware.

Though what's affordable DMX hardware? and where is the best place to purchase affordable? Ebay? or not ebay because of china's unreliable quality standards?
    Sorry i'm not being specific about what DMX hardware, for the moment it doesn't really matter what DMX hardware, strobes or some led lamps should be ok, moving heads are likely not cheap. It's not that i'm trying to do it on the cheap or something, but in other words: A bang for you buck DMX hardware.

Thanks in advance everyone,

Pieter

When you say 'DMX hardware' do you mean control gear or lights, etc?

My personal view (and others will disagree) is that if you want to do synced laser and lighting shows that are pre-programmed, then go ahead with using the QM DMX functionality.
    If you want to do live lighting shows then get a dedicated lighting controller/desk.
    I would buy an Enttec DMX Pro interface and download the free Chamsys MagicQ software and get to grips with it. If you decide to go full on then you can turn this into a 'proper' and industry recognized desk for about £1000 with a touch screen and a fader wing. The Enttec will still be of use with this setup so never redundant.

As for lighting fixtures, some stuff like LED pars can be bought cheap - I wouldn't bother going for Chinese off ebay, Thomann in Germany have equal (or better) prices and you get 3 yrs warranty and local returns. If you are buying scans/moving heads, etc I would look for 2nd hand quality brands like Robe, Clay Paky, etc as they will be cheap and hold their value if you buy sensibly.

My tuppence...
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    When you say 'DMX hardware' do you mean control gear or lights, etc?

My personal view (and others will disagree) is that if you want to do synced laser and lighting shows that are pre-programmed, then go ahead with using the QM DMX functionality.
    If you want to do live lighting shows then get a dedicated lighting controller/desk.
    I would buy an Enttec DMX Pro interface and download the free Chamsys MagicQ software and get to grips with it. If you decide to go full on then you can turn this into a 'proper' and industry recognized desk for about £1000 with a touch screen and a fader wing. The Enttec will still be of use with this setup so never redundant.

As for lighting fixtures, some stuff like LED pars can be bought cheap - I wouldn't bother going for Chinese off ebay, Thomann in Germany have equal (or better) prices and you get 3 yrs warranty and local returns. If you are buying scans/moving heads, etc I would look for 2nd hand quality brands like Robe, Clay Paky, etc as they will be cheap and hold their value if you buy sensibly.

My tuppence...
    Thanks and yes for premade shows in showtime
    I mean lights etc

I'd agree with Enttec USB DMX Pro.. Although, I've downloaded ChamSys, i've haven't quite learned to use it just yet. I've heard it has a very steep learning curve, but it's closer to a professional lighting desk. If you are looking for something a little easier and more user-friendly, I highly recommend the Freestyler software (freeware) which works great with the Enttec Pro as well.
    - instinct

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    I'd agree with Enttec USB DMX Pro.. Although, I've downloaded ChamSys, i've haven't quite learned to use it just yet. I've heard it has a very steep learning curve, but it's closer to a professional lighting desk. If you are looking for something a little easier and more user-friendly, I highly recommend the Freestyler software (freeware) which works great with the Enttec Pro as well.
    Thanks for all the information it certainly helps me

+1 for Chamsys Magic Q & you can get the Eval dongle for only £10 which works fine for most use ( 4hr show limit ) from memory. I wouldnt go back to anything else now & once you learn it you can graduate to any pro level kit easy.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Freestyler is great for live performance but not for pre-programmed shows. It doesn't have a timeline function like most laser applications. Sure, you can make chases and cues but you'd have to set the beat manually and change the chases yourself. Freestyler is not intended to have much sit-back-and-enjoy-feelings to it. But then again it's free and if you're lucky you can get a usb to dmx interface for cheap so you can't really go wrong with it. It supports a lot of interfaces and it is a pretty powerful program for live performances so I highly recommend it.

For hardware: only buy LED, you are really obsolete when you buy anything else these days. LEDs have much more functionallity than the older light sources. Most LED fixtures have a strobe function built in but a decent strobe is always a good idea.
    If moving heads are too expensive buy scanners (those things with a moving mirror on top). At least with those you get some movement in your stage.