Thread: Help LD2000

Default Help LD2000

Hey I am a fairly new LD2000 user I am working with a PRO card and with the latest updates that pengolin offers but I want to learn more about the details of programming. I have watched the tutorials that you get with the software but it can only show you so much and it only shows you basic programming.

Can anyone turn me on to some other tutorials or good reading material on LD2000?
    Pyro is Overrated

Question

What are you trying to do? I found it is easiest to just jump into what you want to do; be it livepro, making shows in showtime, or creating abstracts, ect. There is a nice LivePro tutorial disc from Insanity, although I am more of a Showtime person myself. Decide what you want to do and ask a few questions; I am not sure about any specific tutorials although rumor has it I can make a deccent beamshow...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    What are you trying to do? I found it is easiest to just jump into what you want to do; be it livepro, making shows in showtime, or creating abstracts, ect. There is a nice LivePro tutorial disc from Insanity, although I am more of a Showtime person myself. Decide what you want to do and ask a few questions; I am not sure about any specific tutorials although rumor has it I can make a deccent beamshow...
    Its more regarding showtime. Making and editing effects .. just getting atmospherics and graphics to do exactly what i want them to.

I know thats vague but sometimes when your trying to edit on the fly i feel some things could be a little bit less complicated.
    Pyro is Overrated

Lightbulb

Making your own effects can be a pain. I have been into making beamshows for just over 2 years and am just now getting the hang of makign effects. I found making a few shows using other show's effects helped out a lot on getting to know what does what and how I can make somethign do what I want. For example I just now found out how to do somethign I have been BSing for several shows.

When you are in a scene, goto the effect's list "box" and hit file, open effect file. you won't be able to find many efffect files but you can load a show file into that and it will load all the effects loaded in that show; then start to look at those effects and see how they are made. This is how I started to learn how to make my own effects; I also believe in not reinventing the wheel. If it was created in some els's show, I use theirs. After making a few shows you'll just load your own old shows as you have the effects you used from other shows and the ones you have created available.

As for frames, again use someone else's show frames to begin with and then look how those frames are made. Buffo's above show has a nice list of frames to play with. Once you see how those are made you can start to mimic those so you can have a show with all your own frames. Again, after two years I have just made two shows that are 100% mine; although many of the frames are just copies of other frames that are adjusted to what I wanted them to look like. A circle is just a circle; although it might not have started out as the color I wanted...

And, the forum will be your best resource. And LEMs. (not the mattresses...)

Quote Originally Posted by lucasmcintyre View Post
    Hey I am a fairly new LD2000 user I am working with a PRO card and with the latest updates that pengolin offers but I want to learn more about the details of programming. I have watched the tutorials that you get with the software but it can only show you so much and it only shows you basic programming.

Can anyone turn me on to some other tutorials or good reading material on LD2000?
    Though the tutorials are basic yes, it should give you a start how to draw properly with for example the usage of "eliminated blanking jumps"
    I also own an LD2000 pro.
    The best way to learn how to make beamshows is by opening shows in showtime and looking how they are made.

If you want to make graphics shows then i might ask:
    -Do you have LC-max?
    -Do you have 3D experience?
    -Have you got some skills in drawing?

There are not really books on how to use LD2000 properly, thing is that you need to be creative. The more you work with it, the more you stumble upon and figure the use of various features.