Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser Safety Officer Training Monday, Aug 22 after SELEM. Interested?

Smile

Hey Jon;

No problem dude. Actually, I don't think your post is off-topic at all. Like Karl's post, your post explains why this type of class is so important for those people who want to go into the laser show business one day.

I agree with you and Karl in that taking the class doesn't automatically make you a certified expert. But it does give you a foundation of knowledge that you will use when planning shows from that point forward. And that foundation is worth a lot more than a piece of paper!

Also, I probably should have clarified things a bit regarding who this class is aimed at. If you are very new to lasers, and are still trying to figure out the difference between scan angle and scan speed, then this class is probably going to be too much for you. But if you are thinking about performing laser shows for the general public, then you really need this training before you start your business. (And really, if you're still struggling with things like scan speed and scan angle, then you're not ready to get into the laser show business anyway.)

True, you need to be able to understand basic algebra, and you also need to understand things like irradiance, MPE, divergence, and so on. And if you don't have a firm grasp of those terms, or if you failed algebra in high school, then you're going to have to do some studying before you attend this class. But make no mistake: you're going to need this class (or another one like it) if you ever expect to do public laser shows safely and professionally.

So to the people who want to take the class but may be worried that they can't handle it or aren't ready for it, let me ask you this: Do you plan to go into business performing laser shows for the public? If the answer is yes, then you need to do some studying. If you can't bring yourself up to speed between now and SELEM, then don't take the class. But realize that you also need to postpone the launch of your laser business too, because you really do need to understand these things before you go commercial.

Adam

I'm in!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 10:58.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Adam.... (specifically),

Since my son (who has no real interest in lasers) will be travelling with me, he would likely have to sit in on this, should I pay to do it. HE's the mathematician though and currently in college whereas I'm 25+ years removed from algebra and haven't the faintest recollection of any of it. I'd probably need to rely on him to explain the stuff to me after the fact. Would I need to pay for him?

I feel a little as though the one post was aimed at me, as we had just gotten off the phone discussing scan angles and divergence etc. I'm on the fence about this one. I got a lot from Casey last year and, while I would likely get a lot from Greg, the emphasis on this being an advanced course with a math concentration still scares me a bit at this point. I'm certain it would be invaluable but, I also don't want to risk being overwhelmed an hour in and thinking "wow...just how frickin' stupid am I?" Or quietly bailing at lunch time because I'm totally lost. Will we be able to make a decision to sign up for it while we're there or, does it need to be done in advance?

Smile

Brad;

I e-mailed your question to Greg. I'll let you know what he says. (Still waiting for an answer on payment methods too.)

Regarding the course, I think you'll be fine taking it. You are a quick learner, and we'll all be taking notes too. Plus you absolutely have plans to use your lasers commercially, so you *NEED* this training.

If you get really lost, grab me at the first break and I'll get you back up to speed.

The math isn't that hard. I'm sure you'll be able to remember how to handle it. We're not talking calculus here. But you do need to remember things like order of operations (or have a calculator that does it for you) and understand how to work with fractions and exponents. That's really about it as far as math goes.

By the way, my earlier post wasn't aimed at you at all. Hope you didn't feel like I was calling you out or anything. That was not my intent.

Adam

Business has been going better-ish, I may be able to pull this off. Adam, Please let me know the payment deadline.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Brad;

I e-mailed your question to Greg. I'll let you know what he says. (Still waiting for an answer on payment methods too.)

Regarding the course, I think you'll be fine taking it. You are a quick learner, and we'll all be taking notes too. Plus you absolutely have plans to use your lasers commercially, so you *NEED* this training.

If you get really lost, grab me at the first break and I'll get you back up to speed.

The math isn't that hard. I'm sure you'll be able to remember how to handle it. We're not talking calculus here. But you do need to remember things like order of operations (or have a calculator that does it for you) and understand how to work with fractions and exponents. That's really about it as far as math goes.

By the way, my earlier post wasn't aimed at you at all. Hope you didn't feel like I was calling you out or anything. That was not my intent.

Adam

Sigh... yeah.... I'm probably "in". (You KNOW I'm an easy touch!) And hell.... it's only money. I'll start looking at the feasibility of staying Monday. Let me know what he says about Matthew. He may just sit in the lobby playing games on his computer all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    He may just sit in the lobby playing games on his computer all day.
    My brother will most likely be doing the same. That's what he did last year during the CDRH compliance meeting.

I've warned him that it may be a boring several days... he just wants a road trip. I'd be fine with that but, the problem is I've got to FEED him! LOL
    I can get away with a meal a day..him on the other hand.....WHOLE different story!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I've warned him that it may be a boring several days... he just wants a road trip. I'd be fine with that but, the problem is I've got to FEED him! LOL
    I can get away with a meal a day..him on the other hand.....WHOLE different story!
    My bro really enjoys the laser shows and meeting people. How old is your kid? Maybe they'll get along well. (both gamers) My brother is going on 15 (yikes) in August.