Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi ML501P73 500mW 638

So with these diodes vs the beam of the 445 they are twice as bad.
    and i read on here somewhere else that if you cut the beam in half on the fast axis then put it threw a wave plate then back at the original beam threw a cube.
    you would lose a decent amount of power via the optics but it would make the beam a bit smaller.
    The divergence would still be an issue but better.
    And with the higher power 500mw before optics i think you could get 300mw of power out.
    Would it still be worth looking into or are these to bad to even try getting to use them.
    Last edited by kiyoukan; 09-12-2011 at 22:55.

considering the price difference between these and the 150mw 642's even if you lose half the 300mw beam its still significantly cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    considering the price difference between these and the 150mw 642's even if you lose half the 300mw beam its still significantly cheaper
    I agree, with the low cost I guess we can afford to simply trim the beam and stack/combine them like we do with LOC 650's.

Which does make me wonder: Would such a big rectangular beam be a lot better if we shot it through a telescope to expand the beam, trimmed it to a circular or square profile using an aperture, and use another telescope to compress it?

Well the beam would not be such a big rectangle if you cut it in half and recombine threw a pbs into original beam. and becaused you used a wave plate the beam pattern would still be the same.
    You would reduce the width of the beam by 50% but keep most the power.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

you're going to end up with a big "+" shaped bat signal.

that diode is good for lumia, and ok for firehose beam effects if you throw it through a prism or a telescope, but it's not worth it for graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by kiyoukan View Post
    Well the beam would not be such a big rectangle if you cut it in half and recombine threw a pbs into original beam. and becaused you used a wave plate the beam pattern would still be the same.
    You would reduce the width of the beam by 50% but keep most the power.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

how would it end up a +?
    I think you forgot the wave plate.
    It changes it without rotating the beam. so you would still have a -- beam the differnce is cutting it in half and puttingit back threw a cube you would go from this -- to this -.
    But there would be no change in the beam orientation.

sure, you could do that, but you'll end up with a "__" instead of a "____".

a "+" shape is much better for scanning and color mixing.

when shopping for diodes, be sure to factor in your the expenses of time/materials/light losses when dealing with corrective optics. also, the more you futz with the beam, the larger it will be when it hits your galvo mirrors. those chinese clone scanners have very small mirrors.

i built a rather complicated module for combining two 445's. it would make a pair of those 500mW diodes pretty decent for big beam effects, but i'm not even tempted.

how would it end up a +?
    I think you forgot the wave plate.
    It changes it without rotating the beam. so you would still have a -- beam the differnce is cutting it in half and puttingit back threw a cube you would go from this -- to this -.
    But there would be no change in the beam orientation.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

So it would work the question now is will the results be good enough for use.
    think the beam will fit on 6mm or 7mm mirrors?
    I know these are far from perfect but if they can be made even half way decent and get above 300mw of 640nm even after the cost of optics i think its a path work trying.
    My thoughts were that with the prisim pair you like used on the 445nm diodes, you could do the same after sizing down the beam.
    to go from this ____ to __ then use a prisim pair the beam might just be close to a 445nm still a bit worse but close.
    I doubt there are going to be any new reds for a long time so i think its best we work with what we got.
    Just to ask 300mw of 640nm vs 850mw of 650nm would they be close.
    I was thinking of doing a quad red but i was told that beam would be similar to this one after being corrected.
    so for the sake of tying something new i wanted to know if this had done before.
    i have only heard people mention it once then they stopped talking about it some claim a nda but still its worth looking into.
    Last edited by kiyoukan; 09-13-2011 at 10:27.

i think you're being way too optimistic.

pick up a red quad module from edison and fill it with lpc826 diodes. you'll have better beam specs, a nicer color, and less headaches.

So it would work the question now is will the results be good enough for use.
    think the beam will fit on 6mm or 7mm mirrors?
    I know these are far from perfect but if they can be made even half way decent and get above 300mw of 640nm even after the cost of optics i think its a path work trying.

i got my own mill and lathe and cnc bridgeport.
    Im a stingy person, i like to build things.
    I built a quad setup and the beam is rather large but similar to my 445nm.
    But the color is just not right.
    So instead of going and buying high power lenses and trying to get more out of it going with another setup.
    1 diode vs 4. they both use 4 mirror mounts the differnce is power and the color out the 500mw version i think could get 300mw min with all the optics.
    I am more looking for the people who were testing this setup to give some advice.
    Its been talked about before but i could never find any one who talked about it give any results.
    So it makes me wonder why the people who tested it didnt post results and some claim they signed nda's.
    Maybe im bad at searching and the results were posted but i could not find them.
    Last edited by kiyoukan; 09-13-2011 at 10:49.