Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is it with Americans?

this is why being an American is awesome

that guy you describe in your story is still a douche

when I go overseas the last thing I would be yelling out is "but I'm an American!"

hell there are some countries were I won't even speak English primarily

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post

when I go overseas the last thing I would be yelling out is "but I'm an American!"

hell there are some countries were I won't even speak English primarily
    That's exactly what I am saying. I don't speak any other languages so i keep it shut.

Carlin's take is my favorite

"Pride should be reserved for something you achieve on your own.

Being Irish isn't a skill, it's a genetic accident. You wouldn't be proud to be 5'11". You wouldn't be proud to have a pre-disposition for colon cancer. So why would you be proud to be Irish or Italian or American? Hey, if you're HAPPY with it, that's fine. Put that on your car, 'happy to be an American.' Be happy - don't be proud. Too much pride as it is. Pride goeth before a fall."

i love George Carlin... Penn & Teller are pretty good too

Sorry you've had some bad experiences dnar, there's no excuse for the first guy, he sounds like a jerk no matter what. I have to wonder if the couple at the train stop maybe felt out of place and a bit scared and just threw the first excuse they thought of out there to get away.
    Anyway, hope you come across some that make a good impression..

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    well, i think adam's answer sums it up quite nicely. can't judge a whole population by a few bad apples

however, i have to give it to you wayne. i also think that the inflated egos in the US are a bigger percentage of the general population than in other countries.
    so, the people i read here in PL are a really nice surprise for me. i have come across some terrific guys here and i prefer to base my opinion on them

it is highly subjective. i mean, go around and ask what the people think of greeks nowadays. i think that we are officially classified as scumbags, criminals, thiefs etc etc etc etc. while i can tell you that not all of them are like this, only the rich and famous ones
    I second this.
    But I think the last part was said for the Mexicans
    So I am Half Mexican half American.
    That mean I'm discriminated here and there.
    So when I travel, when they ask where I'm from, some times I said I'm European

Cheers to ALL
    Ed

A few years back I met three guys on the beach in Puerto Escondido(super surf there btw).
    Eventually they asked me where I was from and I replied "I'm from America"--They all smiled and one said "so are we, I am from Brazil-he is from Equador and this guy is local- we are Americans too" Then it hit me-- many from the USA feel we somehow now own he name "America'(entitlement)&we do not. We (and Canadians & Mexicans) are North Americans. I dont use anything but 'United States of America' from that day on.

solo mis dos centavos

Most likely they were trying to sell the guy a seat for Chinese people and it was too small for him.

Whenever I'm out of country, I keep my mouth shut as much as possible. And because of some of the places I go, I tend to leave out "America" as the first response to the question. Many places of "the west" are lumped into one culture which is not highly regarded.

The most impressive national pride I have witnessed comes from all my Canadian friends. They wear the flag daily, and give us flack for the hockey games we win/lose. They can be real jerks about it in the exclusive situation when an American is in the room. "Because we're so much better than you guys".

@ TG - here's a classic example of *well-done* critical-satire...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slKNd22GGaQ&N awesome track...

...THAT'S what you should have based your 'show' on...
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 07-14-2011 at 17:06.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...