Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is it with Americans?

Quote Originally Posted by Xytrell View Post
    Carlin's take is my favorite

"Pride should be reserved for something you achieve on your own.

Being Irish isn't a skill, it's a genetic accident. You wouldn't be proud to be 5'11". You wouldn't be proud to have a pre-disposition for colon cancer. So why would you be proud to be Irish or Italian or American? Hey, if you're HAPPY with it, that's fine. Put that on your car, 'happy to be an American.' Be happy - don't be proud. Too much pride as it is. Pride goeth before a fall."
    While I dig Carlin, I disagree with his sentiment here - there are PLENTY of US citizens that deserve to PROUD to be AMERICANS (after all, we ARE the UNITED STATES of AMERICA, hence, "Americans"), US Citizens, or however you want to refer to us.

Our country and its citizens have accomplished much during the USA's relatively short existence, and while our current administration seems hell-bent on giving it all away, we still have PLENTY to be PROUD of.

I'm not saying it applies anywhere in this thread, but I do find it interesting that many other nations want to bad-mouth and criticize us, but we are frequently the FIRST ones they'll turn to for help, and we're often the FIRST ones to respond - often taking care of the needs of others, before our own.

Regardless of the perceived political or economic reasons -

There aren't many nations in the world that have shed as much blood of their own to defend other nations...
    Last edited by Stuka; 07-15-2011 at 05:55.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Like Evil said, there's a mix of 'both ends of the spectrum', here... For the most-part, you can pretty-much blame Hollywood and much of the commercial-side of the music-industry for the * / entitled-attitude culture but even larger, I think one reason there's much 'Americentricity' is that most Americans don't ever get the chance to experience the world, beyond what they 'learn' about it, as-filtered thru the eye of American tv... very-few, comparatively, get to really 'see' the world...

...and I don't mean 'see' as in spending 10 days on a tour bus in the EU or a week in China between hotel and conference-room on a biz-trip, etc, I mean *living* or at least spending extended-amount of time, immersed in another culture(s) to really begin to get to 'know' the rest of the world, as it is, outside of the US-context... *that's* when many Americans are able to develop a 'balanced' attitude, and not see their own world as so 'great'... Then-again, there will always-be some, as you experienced, that still maintain that 'entitled' attitude...

Woah! We thought you drowned?! Blind, huh? I so want-to comment.... but, whatever...you're just not worth the powder...

Why don't you just run for President in 2012 and save us all, oh Great One?...
    WELL said, Jon - on all counts!!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I have been wondering lately what it means to be "an American". I puzzle over the empty sense of pride some have to be American. It is very different to the Aussie pride of Australia.

...?
    Hey buddy -

ALL nations have their share of assholes; I think you need some quality time hanging out in the States before you pass judgment based on a couple of encounters with the same dude.

Besides, we're equally as deserving of the sense of pride -
    After all, BOTH of our countries were basically founded by miscontents, malcontents, undesireables & convicts that were kicked out of the rest of the "civilized" world!

SO no more judgment & stereotyping, okay Dundee? !
    RR

Sweet.....

America is a nation of over 300 million people. Some of those people are bound to be assholes. I'm sorry you had to run into one.

You don't often hear about people who are kind but quiet, nor do you hear much about the "middle" of American politics. Why? Because that sort of thing is boring; it doesn't sell. It's much more fun to watch some raving lunatic (Westboro Baptist Church, I'm looking at you) and then make generalizations about that extreme example that apply to an entire nation. Is that the right way to do things? Hell no. But it's what the TV news does every night.

Look beyond the rhetoric, and you'll see most of us are not as stupid (or as rude) as the occasional bad example might otherwise lead you to believe.

As for the differing opinions re: gun ownership, national pride, or foreign aid, let me just say that our nation has had a very unique history, albeit a brief one. Those events that define our history (the American revolution, Slavery, the Civil War, World War I, The Great Depression, World War II, the Cold War, the Moon landings, the OPEC oil embargo, the unique instance of stagflation in the late 70's, and the World Trade Center and Pentagon attacks, among others) have shaped our culture in specific ways; that makes us a bit different from most other, older nations.

I'm not saying that all of these events have influenced us in positive ways. There are many events in our nations past that have led to actions (and attitudes) that are positively shameful. (Although I should point out that almost no first-world nation is truly innocent in this regard.) Nevertheless, many of the things that make our culture "American" are unique to our nation. Trying to explain why this is to someone who hasn't grown up in a nation steeped in the consequences of these events is quite difficult indeed.

Adam

Interesting conversation
    None as I recall ever directed toward individuals
    National Pride is Noble,
    Patriotic Fervor, Admirable

One world, just a species. None greater than the other
    Although !!!!

Technology even in a laserists little bubble has progressed phenominaly as too has the information we have these days at our fingertips...

All enlightning stuff, outside the bubble, Food for thought or just fodder depends how one views it

Rules , regulations, Conservatives and CONTROL, Gimme the tattoo

Shit when Trump was about to announce I thought anyone could run .
    One can live in a hole, King Rat for president

Giddyup

And heres a Bowie Lyric for ya

Me, I hope that I'm crazy
    I feel you driving and you're only the wheel
    Slow down, let someone love you
    Ohh, I've never touched you since I started to feel
    If there's nothing to hide me
    Then you've never seen me hanging naked and wired
    Somebody lied, I say it's hip
    To be alive

Now your smile is wearing (spreading?) thin
    Seems you're trying not to lose
    Since I'm not supposed to win
    All you've got to do is win
    Me, I'm fresh on your pages
    Secret thinker sometimes listening aloud
    Life lies dumb on its heroes
    Wear your wound with honor, make someone proud
    Someone like you should not be allowed
    To start any fires
    Last edited by Internatlaser; 07-16-2011 at 02:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Internatlaser View Post
    Interesting conversation
    None as I recall ever directed toward individuals
    Your reputation preceeds you. There was no need for you to direct your post at any individual nation; we have a very good idea what you were implying. (We all remember your "Disco Inferno" laser show.)

Adam

What was that 5 or six years ago
    Too soon for some maybe Adam
    More relevant today
    Its a global thing..we have all been fooled..The golden era of ingnorance
    Teach your children well to see through the BullS##t

I can think of many other, far more effective ways to teach my children about the dangers of runaway politics without resorting to producing an inflammatory piece of artwork.

I do believe that everyone has the right to their own opinion. And honestly, had you made your point in a less-offensive manner, more people might have listened to you back then, and maybe even agreed with you - at least in part. (Not that it would have changed world events much, if at all.)

But because of the method you chose to make your statement, people have marginalized you. That, too, is their right. Now you have to deal with the fallout.

Adam

If you or others viewed that as inflamatory or offensive..it was meant to invoke....thought, moreover intelligent discussion.
    Those that harshed up still do so to this day..Somewhat narrow mindedley i feel
    The subject more relevant today
    You would be surprised who agreed...even those who you admire in this industry..although privately.
    I dont feel marginalized, the fallout if any has been from those as you say with the right to their own opinion
    No Biggie
    Nothing wrong with discussion.
    Open discussion even with some bias is healthy..thats what sets us apart. I do find interesting however, here and in other forums the way some people CLING to their security blanket afraid of change and the truths that are presented in a world with a tsunami of enlightning information on a daily basis

It seems technology is the gel that does this
    Im a technologist..still and always

Little edit here as an afterthought

"Runaway Politics"..Shit...!!! look at the big picture man
    Its not just Politics now..its rampant BULL everyone can see through it and still they keep feeding it to the masses...and the masses buy into it wholesale...Scary
    Last edited by Internatlaser; 07-16-2011 at 03:44.

just curious but is English a primary language for you? your posts are really cryptic... either your translating (via your head or a website or something) or your just really cryptic lol