Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Pangolin Beyond Info Thread

It's not just Beyond 425 that's gone, it's all of the content including QS, Livepro and legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    But the point is there is a constant stream of new releases, some of them stable and some of them not quite so. Some of the releases have new features that then get pulled on the next version, some are only available for a couple of days before the next version is out. I believe that if you go through the correct channels that you are pretty much assured of getting a known stable version.
    The complaint is that there may be a stream of releases but they don't let people know and they stick them in random folders. I repeat: the German arm of Pango advertised Beyond 425 on their Facebook - that's about as official as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeAndMirrors View Post
    ... I repeat: the German arm of Pango advertised Beyond 425 on their Facebook - that's about as official as it gets.
    No need to repeat, I am reasonably intelligent and I do get it. However, AFAIK the particular website that we are talking about was for posting versions of Beyond intended for Beta testers only. Just because it was advertised in Germany doesn't really change the previous fact. Besides, as stated many times, these are *BETA* versions and may or may not contain bugs or have varying amounts of stability. It is not always good to have unstable versions on general release as some people may judge the software on a version that isn't complete.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

The complaint is that there may be a stream of releases but they don't let people know and they stick them in random folders. I repeat: the German arm of Pango advertised Beyond 425 on their Facebook - that's about as official as it gets.
    The reason why they're in "random" folders is because they don't want them shared.

They keep 1 folder they don't mind being too public then the others are hidden away for a reason. Before 425 reached the page you downloaded it from, it was hosted on another page 1st with a specific warning issued not to give the link to anyone else.

As both Jem and I said above, the reason for this is because some of the builds just aren't necessarily stable as large parts of the code may have been altered or added, and so they're only suitable for testing purposes until stability is verified. Obviously 425 was thought to be stable but later withdrawn when problems were found.

That's why if you're doing show with the software you're better off with a stable build than trying to hunt out the latest tester intended version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    No need to repeat, I am reasonably intelligent and I do get it. However, AFAIK the particular website that we are talking about was for posting versions of Beyond intended for Beta testers only. Just because it was advertised in Germany doesn't really change the previous fact. Besides, as stated many times, these are *BETA* versions and may or may not contain bugs or have varying amounts of stability. It is not always good to have unstable versions on general release as some people may judge the software on a version that isn't complete.
    It wasn't advertised "in Germany" as such. It was advertised on the Beyond Facebook page which is hosted in Germany.

Pango have, in reality, not officially released Beyond, despite the hype. We're still waiting for a stable feature-complete version. Unfortunately they have been selling the damn thing. And officially advertising new builds via Facebook. It's a minor PR failure. IMO.

Pango have, in reality, not officially released Beyond, despite the hype. We're still waiting for a stable feature-complete version. Unfortunately they have been selling the damn thing. And officially advertising new builds via Facebook. It's a minor PR failure. IMO.
    Not true. There is a perfectly stable and feature rich version of Beyond generally available.

What you are wanting is new features before they have been fully tested and put on general release. Any software developer has to put their software through a beta testing stage, and it can take some time to iron out all the problems with the help of beta testers.

Basically, you found out about a website where the beta versions were available and you want the latest version. That's understandable, but don't blame Pangolin for software that isn't really meant to be on general release. All good things come to he who waits
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

You are right - the comment on the German Facebook page is merely a "mention" - not a link...............

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beyond.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	31645

The file comes from the Pangolin.de site, not the j------ one. I'm not fluent in German, but it does get pushed to everyone who is subscribed to then page, and is an official Pangolin source. Further, it is UNCLEAR whether this represents improvements / fixes to V1.x of Beyond, or beta versions of V2 - a product which was first slated for last November. Pango have a habit of letting feature creep stall their product delivery, and everything they have said about Beyond has reinforced that belief. Their products are cool. Their product management is pants.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beyond.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	31645

The file comes from the Pangolin.de site, not the j------ one. I'm not fluent in German, but it does get pushed to everyone who is subscribed to then page, and is an official Pangolin source. Further, it is UNCLEAR whether this represents improvements / fixes to V1.x of Beyond, or beta versions of V2 - a product which was first slated for last November. Pango have a habit of letting feature creep stall their product delivery, and everything they have said about Beyond has reinforced that belief. Their products are cool. Their product management is pants.
    I have thoroughly (i think!) searched for a link to a download (including using their search engine on the page) on the Pangolin.de site, but have been unable to find it. Any clues??

I'm guessing they've pulled it because of the aforementioned problems?