Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Pangolin Beyond Info Thread

Andy you don't want build 425, believe me. The bugs that were found were serious and that's why it was pulled.

As said above, the latest version isn't always the best.
    Last edited by White-Light; 04-09-2012 at 00:34.

Fair enough re 425. But what i should have said is that I can't find links to ANY build on the P.de site?

Quote Originally Posted by andyh View Post
    Fair enough re 425. But what i should have said is that I can't find links to ANY build on the P.de site?
    Yup. PR screw-up.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeAndMirrors View Post
    Yup. PR screw-up.
    Or maybe they were pulled at the same time but the facebook link wasn't updated.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I can see that there is some confusion over BEYOND updates.

It seems that, for a short while, our distributor in Germany was giving out in-house testing builds to people and didn't really know that these were not the release versions.

For now -- until we get a new Downloads section added to our BEYOND web site, the only way you can get an *official* build is to interact directly with me, personally, by email.

However, I will take a moment to say that I do not agree with what SmokeAndMirrors wrote about BEYOND not being stable or feature-rich. BEYOND (the very first version that we distributed, and the latest version that I personally distribute to people upon direct contact) is indeed stable, and is being used every single day by some of the world's best laserists. Some of them routinely post to our Facebook page about the shows they are doing and could not have done with any other software, and if you came to Prolight & Sound, you would have met some of them and heard their stories and seen their work.

As for feature-rich, BEYOND does some things that no other software on earth does. BUT, BEYOND also does not yet do things that LD2000 does (for example, support SMPTE). AND BEYOND will never do certain things that LD2000 does (for example, supporting the Lasershow Performer Console).

I see Pangolin's role as providing solutions -- not in a single form, but in many forms. If someone needs SMPTE, we have a solution (Showtime). If someone needs Lasershow Performer support, we have a solution (LivePRO or Showtime). If someone needs to control an array of projectors on a ring-truss, with automatic splitting of images, automatic applying of effects, and the ability to trigger pyro remotely, even when it's controlled by completely separate software, we have a solution (BEYOND). And if you're in a theater full of multimedia gear and you need to control sound, lasers, dancers, lighting, and video all together, we have a solution (BEYOND).

Our role is to provide solutions -- NOT NECESSARILY to make one single product be all things to all people. Moreover each solution has an associated price-tag both monetarily and complexity-wise. This is why we prefer a dialog -- to get into a discussion with people before they make the purchase decision, and then we prescribe a solution that best meets their needs.

If you guys need something, please let us know and we'll do what we can to help!

Best regards,

William Benner
    Last edited by Pangolin; 05-03-2012 at 20:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Also, I do not agree with what SmokeAndMirrors wrote about BEYOND not being stable or feature-rich.
    Yeah, that was me talking bollocks. It happens when I get wound up. Apologies.

Actually I did say "feature-complete", not "feature-rich". Which I recognise is kinda meaningless I don't think I could possibly accuse Beyond of lacking features! And it's easily the best laser show software I've ever played with.

Can anyone explain why the following happens (BEYOND v1.4 build 424) and if there is a "cure" for it:

I have BEYOND installed on a flightcased PC which I use when "performing". I also have it installed on a laptop which is what I tend to use when tinkering with it at home and creating new cues/shows.
    I will "tinker" on and off for a day or two, then without warning, when I open BEYOND another day it requires me to re-connect my FB3. In the interim period i have NOT installed a different build.
    What really concerns me is that. shortly i will be away on holiday and whilst away i would like to continue to "tinker"! As I shall be away for 3 weeks I know for sure that before the end of my first week away it will ask me to reconnect my FB3 - which I will not have with me...........

Can anyone explain why the following happens (BEYOND v1.4 build 424) and if there is a "cure" for it:

I have BEYOND installed on a flightcased PC which I use when "performing". I also have it installed on a laptop which is what I tend to use when tinkering with it at home and creating new cues/shows.
    I will "tinker" on and off for a day or two, then without warning, when I open BEYOND another day it requires me to re-connect my FB3. In the interim period i have NOT installed a different build.
    What really concerns me is that. shortly i will be away on holiday and whilst away i would like to continue to "tinker"! As I shall be away for 3 weeks I know for sure that before the end of my first week away it will ask me to reconnect my FB3 - which I will not have with me...........
    This is something I would send to us at the office; I have not heard of or experienced this but it is something I am sure Bill would like to hear about. If it happens again I would also take a screenshot of the error and see if there was a log file created to send to us also.

It's not a bug. Beyond currently requires you to reconnect the Fb3 every 6 restarts, its currently designed that way.

Wow, my "something new learned" for the day.