Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Pangolin Beyond Info Thread

I wonder if I have a reputation at Pangolin.

I think it was more tongue in cheek.

Having said that Gary, you probably do!

Talk crap about any company in public and I'm sure they'll have you on their shitlist, not just Pangolin

I raised an eyebrow , when i read this , and left a short comment just to draw other peoples opinion in.

I dont know , its strange , its reads to me as ," you criticize our restaurant , dont be surprised if we piss in your coffee and do a dump in your veggie pasta "
    or "you publically list our bugs and faults and dont be surprised if your board goes "POOF" next time you update." To me it doesnt come across as a veiled threat , more of a direct threat.

This would be a "Ratner" moment for Bill if he meant it , which im sure he didnt so surely something must have been lost in translation.

Having seen Justin having his ass bared publically in the last fortnight on the ILDA list and whooped by all manner of passing people Im starting to think there is a conspiracy at pangolin to introduce the term "Teachable Moment " in the the western vocabulary.

Paul
    Last edited by Lasermad; 04-24-2012 at 00:29. Reason: Spelling Corrections
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    Talk crap about any company in public and I'm sure they'll have you on their shitlist, not just Pangolin
    "Crap" is subjective. It may be true but not what a company want to hear, or other people to see. Someone who trolls a company's own forums obviously gets bad rep, banned from posting, and rightly. But this forum is - or should be - independent, and people should, within reasonable limits, be able to publish criticisms; and any aggressive replies from a company (including using the PM system) would itself be an abuse. Further, if people posting criticisms are paying customers, there is a massive risk of backfire.

I can only agree. I've written 4 separate replies to this since Friday, and restrained myself from posting them, because it winds me up so much that I get too emotive.

Between the 'threat' and the condescending reply earlier (which was a perfectly reasonable comment about a 'feature' that makes the application a PITA to use for the user, and brings no direct benefit) it ranks well up there for poor customer relations.

It's made me think long and hard whether I want to put any more money in Bill's pocket.

Maybe Bill is too 'close' to his product, and so finds it difficult to not be emotive about it, and any apparent criticism it receives.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Removed, wrong topic...
    Last edited by cyberb0b; 04-24-2012 at 04:56. Reason: sorry, wrong topic :p

I think you may have got the wrong thread mate

This is the Pangolin Beyond thread, not the Eye Magics one
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I think you may have got the wrong thread mate

This is the Pangolin Beyond thread, not the Eye Magics one
    Hehehe, Norty, sorry for that, i removed it. Thanks for informing me..

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    Lasermad, I think the term Bill/Pangolin was looking for is called "Shit List" Or " BlackListed"
    You guys have misinterpreted what I wrote, but I can understand why -- you didn't have the benefit of understanding the relationship of the person to whom I was posting. Let me clarify.

We really try to be generous to PL members. As an example, we've given away a number of copies of BEYOND for free. And when people contact me privately and tell me that they'd like an upgrade, or even a full software system, and they seem strapped for cash, we try to work with them and give them a deal. Heck, on a few occasions, we gave PL members entirely free LD2000 systems including FedEx shipping! One of them was a 12-year-old kid and I even threw in a pair of Eye Magic scanners! A more recent case was a retiree with limited income.

In return, everyone has their own way of saying thanks. For one guy recently, he made up some abstracts and shared them with me. For others, they give a lot of feedback on how we can improve the product. For yet others, it's just nice to hear from them and hear how they are using the software -- how it made a successful birthday party or so. I really don't expect much in return, but there's something about me that gets upset when they give absolutely nothing in return and instead make a lot of insulting remarks.

So basically if we give something for free -- especially in the case of one individual whom promised feedback and didn't give it, these individuals certainly develop a reputation at Pangolin for being ungrateful, and should not be surprised if we don't offer free versions of software in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Maybe Bill is too 'close' to his product, and so finds it difficult to not be emotive about it, and any apparent criticism it receives.
    Well Norty, in the past years, we've certainly had a number of exchanges, and I hope you will agree that they were eventually resolved with positive results. And although I think you take a different approach to things, I genuinely appreciate your point of view.

Criticism is actually quite welcomed as long as it is levied in a way that is constructive. And we'd appreciate more of an inquisitive approach "Why does Pangolin stop the software from working after six tries" rather than an exclamatory approach "Pangolin has obviously employed a bad design"... After all, there could be good reasons why we do the things we do, but there could also be ways of making it better, thanks to customer feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    Bill .... im reading this 2 ways ....

Are you saying that at our meetings its a benefit to be able to install it on others computers to try out on a commercial basis

<snip>
    Hi Karl,

My explanation had a bit of hyperbole -- clearly. But in fact the explanation is indeed plausible, because it is possible for a single person to install their copy of BEYOND on literally every single computer at a meeting (ILDA, PhotonLexicon, whatever) or within a company, and then start the software with the connected hardware ONCE, essentially authorizing the software to run on that computer. Frankly, if I were present, I'd allow this to happen. No problem! BUT, the question is -- for how long after the meeting should we allow the software to run? THAT is the main question... And we're certainly open for input on that topic.

Quote Originally Posted by araugh View Post
    As in a single pattern moving across multiple zones without the need to break it up into multiple patterns? This is very cool, where could I find this feature in Beyond?
    Yes, this can be done with a "Zone Effect" feature in the latest version. Please contact me directly and I'll be happy to get it into your hands.
    Last edited by Pangolin; 05-04-2012 at 08:48.