Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin Beyond Info Thread

I had a Viasho laser inside my Kvant laser projector. The laser diode driver portion of the system was good, but that particular laser did have thermal issues which changed with modulation frequency and duty cycle. I switched it out for UltraLaser/DHOM which kind of had the opposite problem -- good stability as far as the laser was concerned, but slow modulation. However, the slow modulation was easy to fix, by changing components on the driver.

So far a few companies have contacted me for help as a result of the post above. Always glad to offer assistance!

Best regards,

William Benner

Hi all,

I wanted to let you know that we've created a series of tutorial videos covering the basics of BEYOND 3D. You can find them here:

Chapter 1: The fundamentals
    Chapter 2: The look on the laser
    Chapter 3: Simple solid objects
    Chapter 4: Animating objects and properties
    Chapter 5: Curves and Splines
    Chapter 6: Lathe and Extrude objects
    Chapter 7: Putting it all together
    Chapter 8: Saving 3D files

As you will be able to see, BEYOND 3D is really pretty deep. The collection of tutorials is over an hour and a half, and it barely scratches the surface. It does not get into the animation editor itself, lights, shading, shadows, textures, creating your own 3D objects, importing from others, etc. But it should give a good foundation, and I think once the foundation is in place, you can successfully explore the other features.

As time permits, we'll produce another series of videos about the advanced topics touched on above.

By the way, BEYOND 3D is similar to Cinema 4D in many respects, and you might also check out the "Creative Cow Maxon Cinema 4D Podcast" available at the iTunes store. The most interesting ones will be the Cinema 4D Bootcamps with four topics: Interface, Animation, Modeling, and Texturing.

Best regards,

William Benner

Hi Bill, thanks for the videos, haven't got thru all of them yet, but they have been very informative. My only question so far, is there a preview window for Beyond 3D?

Yes thanks.

I'm going to download them shortly as I'm a complete cave man when it comes to 3D!

EDIT: All downloaded (ripped off Youtube) now. Just need to find time to view. Thanks Bill.
    Last edited by White-Light; 06-04-2012 at 16:11.

Hi DZ (I was going to call you Dave, but I know you're trying to protect your privacy these days )

Yes, you can turn any of the viewports (hehe, or even all of them) into a laser preview window. Right click and choose Shading, and then Laser Over Black. You can also get there in the dedicated Shading menu in any of the views. There are other fun options there too.

Note that once a viewport is used for laser, it is still fully functional. You can select objects, move them, and perform most all manipulations you do in normal views.

If you take time to explore it, you'll find that B3D is really deep. There are many options, and you can actually completely customize the user interface to your liking, including all colors, keyboard shortcuts, placement of windows, etc.

There is also other useful information in this thread:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...-Coil?p=233572

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Yes, you can turn any of the viewports (hehe, or even all of them) into a laser preview window. Right click and choose Shading, and then Laser Over Black. You can also get there in the dedicated Shading menu in any of the views. There are other fun options there too.
    There it is! I was trying to follow along with the videos yesterday and couldn't find that setting anywhere. I was sure that I had seen it before. Thanks!

Are showtime LDS shows capable of being played back in beyond? I know this was a coming feature a year ago. Thanks
    leading in trailing technology

Still in the works Polished Ball, but we believe this will be implemented within the next few months. In fact the shows themselves won't be playable, but we're creating what we call a "bridge" (kind of like a conversion method) between the show formats.

Showtime's format was invented by me around 1995. It's a very compact format and in fact it has it's own microcode and micro-engine. BEYOND format was invented last year and this year, and can take advantage of all of the horsepower microprocessors have today, so there is quite a difference. It didn't make sense for us to have BEYOND load the Showtime format directly.

Bill

I have watched all the tutorials and they are very helpful. The first time I opened BEYOND 3D, my reaction was

But, the basic tutorials definitely help to get you started. I was trying to have a play around with the lights and stuff, but could never figure them out! So definitely keen on some more tutorials

Oh, yes, and I can't wait to take a look at some of those showtime shows also

Hi Daniel,

I agree with what you wrote above. Unlike QuickShow and even some of BEYOND, using a 3D animation and modeling program is not like rolling out of bed. Some 3D programs are downright nonintuitive. We've tried to make B3D as intuitive as possible, and tried to blend the best ideas from 3D Studio MAX, Cinema 4D and MAYA. Still, it's a 3D modeling and animation program, so some training (video or otherwise) is going to be necessary to get meaningful results.

As time permits, we'll work on some more advanced tutorials, covering the animation editor (there is a timeline built into B3D as well) lighting, shading, shadows, textures, creating your own objects, creating hierarchical models (like robots and other things with "joints") etc. In the mean time, you should check out those "Creative Cow Podcasts" for Cinema 4D, since they cover the fundamentals.

At their roots, all 3D programs are similar. If you know the fundamentals, I'm sure you'll be able to figure out B3D. For example, Pieterjan (Master PJ here on PL) was able to figure out the entire B3D program before we had even a single word of documentation. He was able to do this, because he is already familiar with other 3D programs.

Best regards,

William Benner