Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Laser attack' caught on tape: View from plane cockpit

Quote Originally Posted by Internatlaser View Post
    **moronic text deleted to preserve forum integrity***
    Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoop-boing-goodem-zoo-owli-zhiv

[/thread_jack]

I don't agree 100% with Internatlaser but I do agree with him more than some of the other comments.

I think everyone is in agreement that the last part of the vid was filmed (as a demonstration, joke, whatever) inside some sort of sim.

If the first part was "staged" as a prank or faked news event, with full cooperation of the pilot(s) of the plane, that would impy an even higher level of stupidity, in which case I hope all involved get their asses handed to them -
    if nothing else than to hopefully prevent an escalation of the stupidity.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Is the old episode of hard copy where they hit the helicopter with the huge argon laser still around?

IIRC they hit a helicopter with a large frame argon, and also a spotlight. The idea was that the spotlight was much worse.

As I replied in the thread concerning Clark Gables dumbass grandson:

Seeing that I have been actively involved with lasers as hobby for some years now, I probably have several thousand more hours in a helicopter cockpit than just about anyone else on this forum, and have been on both ends - delivering & receiving - laser aimed or guided munitions, I figure it's time for me to chime in (again) with my 10 cents worth:

The hazards that lasers (and spotlights) present to low-flying aircraft genearally aren't the threat of blowing up or blindness -although varying levels of "flash blindness" are a real possibility. The BIGGEST hazard is the potential for unexpected distractions in the cockpit - and when distractions happen to low altitude, relatively slow-flying aircraft (helicopters or other small aircraft), at night in an urban environment (i.e. LOTS of PHYSICAL hazards to low-flying aircraft), cockpit distractions have the potential to turn very serious - or even deadly - in a hurry.

Having recently lost a VERY good friend (and very experienced aviator) in a helicopter accident involving a wire strike, and having more than my own personal share of "close calls" over the years, I can attest that ANY outside distraction in the cockpit can turn serious in a hurry. Regardless of experience level, the tendency of most aviators will be to quickly maneuver away from a sudden flash source (be it laser, spot lights, or something more solid), and in a night-time environment full of potential physical hazards, that maneuvering could be fatal.

The potential for serious outcome as the result of distraction in the cockpit is why ANY spotlighting of flying aircraft (be it with laser or "conventional" light sources) is considered an intentional hazard to flight, and is an unlawful act under FAA / Federal regulations - AS IT SHOULD BE!!!

As far as the concern about the lasers being attached to a weapon pointed at an aircraft (which is also an unlawful act), I would agree that if the laser is actually terminating ON the aircraft, there is slim chance that a bullet fired would reach the same target. However, that would certainly present one heck of a reference for establishing a lead, which is pretty sobering when you understand that the biggest threat to low flying combat helicopters is still generally small arms fire...
    Last edited by Stuka; 08-02-2011 at 15:42.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....