Page 13 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Planetarium Star Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by cybertoyz View Post
    I cannot believe you have the Spitz STP from the Saint in NYC!! I was a Lifetime Member of The Saint from 1981-1990. This
    was the MOST SPECTACULAR NIGHT CLUB in the WORLD during this timeframe and the Spitz STP was instrumental in making the venue so popular. The lighting technicians who operated this wonder could do amazing light shows against the fabric
    covered floor-to-ceiling dome which became their "canvas". They would turn a spinning star sky into a glowing dawn and everything in between. Then at the very top of the dome as a motorized sliding panel that would slide open revealing a highly
    complex spinning mirror ball and other special lighting effects.

Please take good care of this very special machine. You have no idea how many thousands of people have watched in awe themagic of this hardware.

Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

Attachment 27264Attachment 27265Attachment 27266Attachment 27267Attachment 27268Attachment 27269Attachment 27270Attachment 27271Attachment 27272Attachment 27273
    Steve, thank you for posting this. I never actually went to this nightclub but I have heard hundreds of stories about it. It was WAY ahead of its time, in form, function and design. The machine has been painstakingly restored and missing parts fabricated by a machinist. It was mostly intact when I found it and in remarkably good condition all things considered. It now rests in the center of my home under a 2 ton gantry crane. The control systems have been completely re-engineered. The only thing it needs is an additional xenon power supply (It requires two; one for each hemisphere). I bought one power supply a few months ago and waiting for additional funds to purchase the second one. The power supplies cost 800 each and the 300w xenon short arc lamps are about 500 each. I have spread out the restoration over several years to keep it affordable. The machine moves now and spins on three axis. Stars have been lit on one side of the machine and the images are very crisp and bright. I anticipate a very disorienting effect with all of the stars lit, and the machine moving with slight variance of tilt on one or more axis in a completely darkened room. Spitz only built one of these, and as I am sure that you know was a custom order by Bruce for the club. Further research recently determined that Spitz had re-acquired one of the machines they had built for the US air force, which was installed at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs and they used parts of that machine to build the one for The Saint. It is an honor and a priviledge to be the custodian for it and I treat it with great respect.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	190441_118045468274066_100002058393425_130733_6955334_n.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	27297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saint.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	343.9 KB 
ID:	27296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post-444-1300637636.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	27298

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    That had to be crazy to pull out! So where do you store 2 26' trucks? Do you rent space or actually fit it all in your place? So glad you got this before it was trashed or re-cycled.
    I rent the trucks. Everthing fits in here but space is at a premium. I periodically have to go and recycle the things I cannot use or find new homes for it. I generally store it within the space I have available which sometimes includes the bedroom but I try to keep that one room "normal".. It can be a bit dangerous in here right after I unload a truck as some of these things are extremely heavy and unstable until properly secured. I am glad that Phoenix is not prone to earthquakes.

Name:	5964961793_8d0a71b6ca_m.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	27299

You are a hero, good work!

Quote Originally Posted by dar303 View Post
    You are a hero, good work!
    Thanks! Well, the truck is nearly unloaded. The Chroma 5 head and AVI scanning tower are all that is left. Not a soul can be found to help me get them off, so I made a trip up to Gilbert to get a drywall cart which are perfect for handling these large laser heads and attached water lines and umbilical. The most dangerous part being that narrow loading ramp, one false move and its game over. With this cart I can do it myself.

Name:	wed1.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	27355

Quote Originally Posted by SpitzSTP View Post
    Thanks! Well, the truck is nearly unloaded. The Chroma 5 head and AVI scanning tower are all that is left. Not a soul can be found to help me get them off, so I made a trip up to Gilbert to get a drywall cart which are perfect for handling these large laser heads and attached water lines and umbilical. The most dangerous part being that narrow loading ramp, one false move and its game over. With this cart I can do it myself.

Name:	wed1.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	27355
    Ok.. Elvis has entered the building. The scanning tower is next.

Name:	wed2.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	27356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wed3.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	27357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wed4.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	27358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wed5.JPG 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	27359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wed6.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	27360

nice glad you found a way to handle it safely for yourself and the equipment. next time you'll have some help

And no late fee bonus

Ok.. Elvis has entered the building. The scanning tower is next.

Name:	wed2.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	27356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wed3.JPG 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	27357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wed4.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	27358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wed5.JPG 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	27359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wed6.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	27360
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    nice glad you found a way to handle it safely for yourself and the equipment. next time you'll have some help

And no late fee bonus
    I feel alot better, now that it's safely on the bench after a 1,500 mile journey. I had set it on one inch foam insulation sheets I layed on the bed of the truck, to lessen vibration.

Name:	wed7.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	27366

That's an awesome find Spitz. I see a lexel 95 sitting behind the chroma 5. By the way, one of the coolest things I like about the Omniscan is that it has built in scan thru effects that move in front of the scan head. Ah, it's hard to explain, you'll love it once you see it!

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    That's an awesome find Spitz. I see a lexel 95 sitting behind the chroma 5. By the way, one of the coolest things I like about the Omniscan is that it has built in scan thru effects that move in front of the scan head. Ah, it's hard to explain, you'll love it once you see it!
    According to Mark Zellers at AVI, per the science center director, "this Scan Tower Head is a one-of-a-kind, with about 10 effects the new lasers cannot do, like multiple images, cloud effects and others." It will be interesting to get it running again, and put it back to work. I am sincerely hoping that I can get some help in testing it out. I have spent all of my time restoring star projectors and this is completely new territory for me. Is it O.K., to post a shameless appeal, for assistance? Free beer and chips for any takers.

Name:	wed8.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	27373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wed9.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	27374

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i'm in!

"think we can merge with this data stream, bit?"

According to Mark Zellers at AVI, per the science center director, "this Scan Tower Head is a one-of-a-kind, with about 10 effects the new lasers cannot do, like multiple images, cloud effects and others." It will be interesting to get it running again, and put it back to work. I am sincerely hoping that I can get some help in testing it out. I have spent all of my time restoring star projectors and this is completely new territory for me. Is it O.K., to post a shameless appeal, for assistance? Free beer and chips for any takers.

Name:	wed8.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	27373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wed9.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	27374
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.