Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Planetarium Star Projectors

Various rescued star projectors Last photo is Ron, he helps me restore them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lift.jpg  

lift2.jpg  

lift3.jpg  

captain_ron.jpg  

Slide mounts for shallow depth chassis installed in Minolta rack. Server installed beneath keyboard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minolta_Cab18.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	26710

Lexel 95.. out of the road case. I hope it fires up.

Name:	Lexel_1.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	26716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minolta_Cab19.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	26717

Placing the brute force transformers back in the Minolta star projector rack using an engine hoist. I had to take these transformers out just to get this tall rack off the truck without killing myself. All connections were carefully marked.

Name:	Hoist.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	26919

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    SpitzSTP, if you ever come across an old AVI projector that has 4 G-120 scan heads (AVI Model S400) and happen to find a box of show tapes let me know. I could care less about the projector but the show tapes I will pay any price for. They will be just regular VHS tapes and will not work in an ADAT. As I understand it, due to neglect at AVI the bulk of this show material was lost. I hold hope that they are sitting on a shelf in a planetarium out there somewhere...
    Can you post a picture of the old AVI projector you mention? I ran across a projector similar to the one you mention, it was in a load of stuff I transported last June. I am curious if it is the same one. There is indeed, a box of VHS-type cassettes that came with it. Can you share any images of what this projector looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by SpitzSTP View Post
    Can you post a picture of the old AVI projector you mention? I ran across a projector similar to the one you mention, it was in a load of stuff I transported last June. I am curious if it is the same one. There is indeed, a box of VHS-type cassettes that came with it. Can you share any images of what this projector looks like?
    Are they vhs or S-VHS? S-VHS would be ADAT. It be way cool if this was the stuff DZ is looking for. DZ how did they decode these vhs?

Also not co
    Last edited by polishedball; 08-30-2011 at 03:20.
    leading in trailing technology

Just need to re-attach the wiring harness.

Name:	Brute.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	26920

Quote Originally Posted by SpitzSTP View Post
    I did some checking around. This is just what I was told, I have no way to confirm the accuracy of the following information:

"ALL the lenses/star plates were going to be removed and given away as memento's to those who contribute great funds. One of the star balls and one section of planet cages will be retained "for possible future display." The remainder of anything else will need to be returned to state general services."
    That's a shame... hopefully it was worn out and ready to be scrapped instead of just being stripped down to give to donors. Part of the charm of going to the Morehead planetarium was seeing that huge things rotate at full speed. Felt like being in one of those mad scientist time machines. With the digital stuff it's like going to a very lame movie.

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Are they vhs or S-VHS? S-VHS would be ADAT. It be way cool if this was the stuff DZ is looking for. DZ how did they decode these vhs?

Also not co
    I haven't seen the tapes yet, the planetarium director called me after he saw a post I made on another board asking about old ADAT tapes and he said that he had a whole box of what he thought were VHS tapes (he doesn't know the difference). It piqued my interest because I delivered a load of donated planetarium equipment up there a couple of months ago and I noticed among the other stuff was an interesting old laser projector that looked to be between 10 to 20 years old, consisting of galvos mounted to an optical table so perhaps it could be an old AVI ? That's why I ask if someone can post a picture of the projector and I can tell right away if it's the same one I saw. A long shot, perhaps but who knows. The director said I can have the tapes so the worse that can happen is I will get some old cornball movies or something... but, these tapes were mixed in with a load of planetarium equipment and included with all this stuff was an old-school laser light projector I'll keep you posted..

Yeah, I know what you are saying.. to me half the magic (or more) is the marvelous opto-mechanical device in the center of the dome. I got my information about the Morehead Zeiss directly from a person who made an appeal to preserve the machine whole, someone that I trust. Why anyone would want to pull out the star plates then scatter them to the four corners is beyond my comprehension, what use is the rest of the projector without the star plates, other than scrap metal? I hope the info I got, was outdated and they really saved it intact.