Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: Planetarium Star Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Iirc it uses special magic seriously look at AVI website. It is a special scanning system meant for domes. I believe part of it is a fisheye type lens along with a bunch of effect. Look at the skylase that is there current product. Av-imagineering.com
    That looks pretty cool! Thank you. I reckon there is a little bit of magic there as on the utube videos there is very little increase in divergence in the beam between top and bottom of the dome.

Try a fisheye lens, I think I mentioned this to you at the LEM
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Try a fisheye lens, I think I mentioned this to you at the LEM
    Yes, thanks Jem. I tried throwing my 14mm over the laser aperture but guess I need a different type of lens or to make sure that the focal point of the laser is at the lens axis?

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    Yes, thanks Jem. I tried throwing my 14mm over the laser aperture but guess I need a different type of lens or to make sure that the focal point of the laser is at the lens axis?
    There usually has to be a few achromatic lenses upstream of the scanners to achieve decent results with a normal photographic lens. You still end up with a 2-3X expansion of the beam.

The AVI lens was designed by folks who make wide angle lenses for full dome flight simulators. The Minolta lens AVi uses is far different then your typical 137' wide angle, and is designed for maximum angle with minimum defocus, which is a bit different then the photographic lens, which is designed for low aberration on a focal plane.

In the US this technique with laser projection is covered by a still valid patent, so one must be careful.

You can get the well designed lens from Pangolin.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-26-2013 at 05:54.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Yes, there is some additional details and photos in this thread, my apologies its not really organized in any sensible fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Chillers often have a pressure release valve across the pump. The valve has a spring loaded adjustable setpoint. If the laser shuts off the water, the valve opens. You put a small accumulator tank on the output to damp the shockwave when the valve closes. Its simples, and it may already be there. Without this, the pump motor stalls.

75% odds its already in the system. If not, the valves are not expensive.

My water to water exchanger has a five gallon tank. Yes, its saves a considerable amount of water, and it makes the laser more stable. Less fluctuations in the resonantor if the water is Konstant temperature.

Steve
    Mine does not seen to have this feature, although like you said, it can be added. I do have a question after I took the top off the Electro-Impulse unit. What is this gizmo pictured? It looks like a spring-loaded valve but the other end is attached to the water jacket through what appears to be a capillary tube. I don't think the previous installation was using it with the Chroma 5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laserscope 024.jpg  

Laserscope 019.jpg  

Laserscope 025.jpg  

Laserscope 028.jpg  

Laserscope 026.jpg  

Last edited by SpitzSTP; 09-26-2013 at 17:58.

Lots of wiring work to do this weekend. Ron built a new control system for the star projector. Getting it wired to the projector is about half finished. A retro industrial look is what we were shooting for in these new control panels. I have two old rackmount control panels that came with the machine, too far gone to restore. They came out of the booth in NYC and I will put them in the back of the rack, behind the door, as non-functional display.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laserscope 035.jpg  

Laserscope 030.jpg  

post-16-1300306110.jpg  

Laserscope 029.jpg  

Laserscope 042.jpg  

Laserscope 037.jpg  

dome-1.gif  

Last edited by SpitzSTP; 09-28-2013 at 01:14.

Looks like an old school temperature control valve, the 'wire' looking part goes to an air bulb which outputs a pressure proportional to the temperature of the water, which is then used to open the valve to let cold water into the heat exchanger (this forming a closed loop temperature regulation system)

Nice looking system overall!

Wiring continues. I took the advice of Sr. projector expert, Ron W. and installed terminal strips to make wiring go faster rather than rely upon AMP/Tyco military-style connectors that are prevalent on the rest of the machine. I love my Stripmaster tool its been getting alot of use on this project. It occurs to me that I have been hanging out alot lately with my favorite stripper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails STP Wiring 002.jpg  

STP Wiring 005.jpg  

STP Wiring 007.jpg  

STP Wiring 011.jpg  

STP Wiring 014.jpg  

STP Wiring 017.jpg  

STP Wiring 024.jpg  

Thanks for the update looking good.
    leading in trailing technology