Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: UK ShowLEM 2012

Default UK ShowLEM 2012

Hi All

Following on from the success of 2011's UK ShowLEM I have booked the hall again for a similar 2012 event.

For anyone unfamiliar with the LEM format here in the UK... We Currently hold two LEM's per year in Surfleet, one in or around April and one in or around September. The Surfleet LEM's are the main meetings of UK Laser Enthusiasts. There is much technical stuff going on and lots of coherent photon's flying about the place - great fun!

However, in 2011 we decided to add another LEM to the list with the focus on playing synchronised shows throughout the weekend and dabbling with lasershow software. This was a 'travel light' event as most of the equipment was provided by just a small handful of people. The ShowLEM is an additional event to the main LEM's and isn't ever intended to be a replacement for the Surfleet LEM's. I think those people who attended will testify that it was a completely different format.

O.K., so, all that being said... We had a great time at the 2011 ShowLEM and are repeating the performance again this year, 2012.

One criticism of last years ShowLEM was that it wasn't long enough. With this in mind I have booked the hall from Friday morning until ~6:00pm on the Sunday. We are allowed to sleep in the hall for 'security purposes'. Just bring a blow up mattress, a sleeping bag, some earplugs and nose clips and you'll be fine

I've pretty much convinced Janet and our girls to do the catering again this year, so look forward to some good food guys, it's a lot of hard work for them and unfortunately I'll have to add a small amount to the cost to cover food this year, but I'm sue it'll be well worth it. I'm also hopeful that we'll be able to repeat the BBQ at my house depending on weather. this just gives everyone the opportunity for a bit of burnt sausage and a non-alcoholic beer and a final chat before driving home

So, it's confirmed, the next ShowLEM will be on 6th, 7th, 8th July 2012. Just pop a reply into this thread to indicate what days you'll be attending and I'll add you to the list. We can get into the hall at 12:00 lunchtime on Friday, and we have to vacate by 5:00 pm on the Sunday.

One final thing... It would be nice to see the ShowLEM format evolve and I am open to suggestions as to how we may acheive this. I thought that we could perhaps have a couple of 'workshops' based around software and/or show safety, we could introduce a competition for best homemade show etc etc... If you have any ideas please throw them into the mix.

Cheers

Jem

ATTENDEES:

Jem (Jem) - Entire Weekend
    Carl B (Carl) - Entire Weekend
    Rob (Stanwax) - Saturday and Sunday
    Dan (DanielBriggs) - Saturday and Sunday
    Richard (Soferene) - Saturday and Sunday
    Al (White Light) - Possibly Sunday
    Paul (Lasermad) - Entire Weekend
    Jim (Smogthemog) - Sadly, probably can't make it.
    Adrian (Dilbert) - Saturday and Sunday
    Andy (Andy_Con) - Saturday and Sunday
    Mark (kel19700) - Saturday evening and probably most of Sunday
    Simon (P1t8ull) - Saturday and Sunday
    Mark (Insanity) - Sadly can't make it due to Gig's
    Mark (MarkMtts) - Hopefully entire weekend
    Kev (Kevski) - Hopefully perhaps one day???
    Nigel (Gashead) - Entire weekend?
    Steve (Laserhobbit) - To be confirmed

Hi Guys

I was wondering whether it was a wise thing to post the location here, but I noticed that I put it in the last ShowLEM thread, so here it is again

Janet is providing lunch for us all on the Saturday, there are plenty of pubs and takeaways nearby for evening snacks.

Location of Hall:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bark...gl=uk&t=h&z=20

Directions:
    Leave M1 at J40 and head towards Wakefield, once off roundabout keep in right hand lane. At the second set of traffic lights turn right onto Queens Drive. Continue on Queens Drive (go straight through traffic lights after approx ½ mile) for ~1 mile until you reach a 'T' junction, turn left. Continue down this road for~¾ mile (be careful, There's a bad bend), After bad bend you'll pass Halfway house pub on right. Continue until see Victoria pub on right (only ~¼ mile further). Primrose hall is on your left opposite Victoria pub. Free parking is available outside venue. It's much easier to find than it sounds!

One other thing. The location widget on Google maps shows up on Barker Road. That is the back of the hall. You need the turning just before. I tried to put the location widget on the actual hall, but for some reason it doesn't want to be moved . Any questions please PM me.

Accomodation:

Overnight sleeping is allowed in the hall is fine if you can stand it

The Quarry Inn B & B - ~½ mile to venue - Room and breakfast ~£32
    http://www.thequarryinn.co.uk/

Days Hotel Wakefield (J40 - M1) - ~2 miles to venue - Rooms from around £42
    http://www.dayshotel-wakefield.com/

Holiday Inn (J40 - M1) - ~2 miles to venue - Rooms from £
    http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/...wy/hoteldetail
    This hotel is showing it's fully booked at the moment, but it my be worth checking.

Premier Inn (J39 - M1) - ~6 miles to venue - Rooms from £19
    http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/W...outh-m1,-jct39

Cheers

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 07-04-2012 at 11:27. Reason: Names added to list of attendees
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

The Show LEM was a great event this year even though I only got to attend on the Sunday.
    I have no issues with the dates for next year and intend to be attending for the full weekend.

You can put me up on the list of attendees Jem. Full weekend.

Carl
    2 x Stanwax Laser 3W RGB's
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    Pangolin FB3QS + Live Pro
    1.3W Laser Harp

my small brain cant think beyond 2011 so will confirm next year ;-)
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I'm in!
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Hi Jem,

The workshops sound great. A full on safety workshop would be great.

Even better would be a full safety course leading to the paper bit. Unfortunately, I think that most companies willing to run a safety course would want to charge commercial fees putting it past the pocket of many of us poor hobbyists. Even £50 is more than I could justify paying for personal use.

Perhaps if someone from a safety training company was attending that company might be willing to do a hobbyist course to the exclusion of professionals attendees at say a modest sum - £20-30? That would avoid taking business away from their professional business course. With 10 hobbyists that could still be £300 for a days work and with the bonus of 2 additional days of laser show casing to watch and take part in for fun as a part of a weekend away.

I'd also like to see a change in the show format to include audience scanning. I understand entirely why it wasn't done this year and I'm not in any way criticising anyone for it being run that way.

However, we have people attending (at least based on this year) who are professionals, who have professional insurance and who are more than capable of setting up projectors measured to MPE and with BAMs. We also have the possible addition of Bill's lenses for next year if anyone chooses to purchase a set making higher powered safe scanning even more of a possibility. I can't see any objection to visitors being there when MPE is observed. On the insurance front, if the problem is that this isn't a paid gig, surely there's an easy work around here, book the person concerned formerly on a peppercorn ie £1 fee so that the event becomes a commercial entity from his insurers POV and thus becomes covered.

If someone is willing to let people have access to QS / Beyond on their pc then it would be nice to let people load and run their own show rather than having it all fall on the one person with everyone else stood around. There could of course be the pc owner / professional supervisor stood / sat next to them to make sure no one does anything silly like disable the BAM or adjust power or settings.

On a general front, I like your other ideas btw.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

I'm tentatively in for Sat/Sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    .... If you have any ideas please throw them into the mix.
    • More Scrim use
    • More Vol-eu-vents (Pretty please Janet ) Those creamy cheese/tomato thingies were truly scrumptious!!
    • Less/No red tape (This rermains the greatest threat to our freedom and the true spirit of laser meets)
    • Small competition for all to enter using a short piece of music (Approx 1 min.)

It may be interesting to select a small musical piece prior to the Showlem (JemLem) and see what peeps could make of it.
    Due to the fact that people would be hearing it a few times (dependant on how many created a small show for it) it wouldn't need to be of "Pink Floyd" lengths to prevent boredom seting in with the assembled massses.

Just a few comments to run up folk's Flagpoles to see if they flutter ........

Thanks for your suport guys

This isn't *my* LEM, it's everyone's, i'm just the facilitator and will do everything I possibly can to ensure everyone has a thoroughly enjoyable weekend. Richard, I agree about the red tape, everything should be as simple as possible. Al, there will definately be some audience scanning at the next ShowLEM, as i've explained before, it wasn't a conscious decision not to do it this year, it just worked out that way as the point was never really raised at the time.

Great ideas though, keep 'em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    Andy... That's what you get for living in Essex, something to do with genetics

List Updated.

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 08-16-2011 at 06:14.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Who you kidding Andy ... you will be there , with babe in pram wearing laser goggles !!

Jem, ...superb , stick me and ritchie down for the full weekend :-)
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

I WILL be there this time! and so will my self!
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Me too... and I can't remember my parents mentioning Essex ... but you never know !

Cheers