Thread: Spec : Email notification.

Default Spec : Email notification.

Hey, could you add some formatting, maybe a little html color tags or bold to make the email post notification a little easier (faster) to read?

Usually When I am reading the email is on my phone. And usually there is a lot of extraneous stuff to sift through to get the actual message.

Little thing, I know. But should be easy to make nicer?

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

True. This would be an awesome refinement.

Bumpity bump.

chad

Ok, I just dug this out of the database. Here is the actual structure of the instant email notifications:

There isn't much to work with given how compartmentalized the strings are but if you want to give it a go and try to wrap html around it, please do. Remember to use escape characters.

I'll try and find a way to hook this function so that a user can select html/plain text delivery.

Code:
    Dear $touser[username],

$bbuserinfo[username] has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - $threadinfo[prefix_plain]$threadinfo[title] - in the $foruminfo[title_clean] forum of $vboptions[bbtitle].

This thread is located at:
    $threadlink

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    $pagetext

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
    $vboptions[bbtitle]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
    $unsubscribelink

To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please visit this page:
    $managesubscriptionslink

Thanks, I will play with it. I don't understand the esc-chr though. I know very little about html.
    Will the board parse this: $touser[username] anywhere when it generates an email?

chad

$touser[username] is just the way they call variables from strings. $ denotes a string containing an arbitrary number of variables. That's used pretty much exclusively in the email parser.

for example: $bbuserinfo[username] parses back the information the board knows about the login credential *name* attributed to the account. The $touser[] thing is used when the board needs to figure out who it's talking to.

However under the theme layout system here one *can't* call functions like these.(Disabled for security.)

HTML Code:
    {userid}, {username}, {musername}, {sessionurl}, {sessionurl_q} $bbuserinfo[username]
    PHP Code:
    {userid}, {username}, {musername}, {sessionurl}, {sessionurl_q$bbuserinfo[username
    Code:
    {userid}, {username}, {musername}, {sessionurl}, {sessionurl_q} $bbuserinfo[username]
    For more in depth data on escape characters please go here: http://php.net/manual/en/regexp.reference.escape.php

In a nutshell it's a character sequence that tells PHP that the next character or sequences of characters should be interpreted as ascii text instead of code to be worked on.

Hum. Because I have no way to test it, and the chances of me making something that might work are very slim. How about we just trim some fat. I moved the $pagetext to the top so I get a little of the message on my phone. The subject is the title so I know what it is.

Code:
    " $pagetext "
              $bbuserinfo[username]

$threadlink
    Dear $touser[username], $bbuserinfo[username] has just replied to $threadinfo[prefix_plain]

All the best,
         $vboptions[bbtitle]

~To unsubscribe from this thread,$unsubscribelink
    ~To unsubscribe from ALL threads,$managesubscriptionslink