Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RGB Laser group buy

a shutter, IR filters for green and blue and possibly a more sturdy base

Quote Originally Posted by dave
    So what would be involved in making these boxes CDRH complient?

With a 55mW green and blue wouldn't that be a bit on the low side for beamshows?
    You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!

So is anyone else going to get in on this so we can get the price down? I'm definitly in for 1 and I think a friend of mine is also going to get one.

Man - I want to get in on it... BADDLY! But I don't have the scratch right now.

I just dumped what little spare change I had on a used HGM 5 Argon. Should be here later this week, after nearly a month of waiting. Had I known back then about this deal I might have backed out on the Argon, but it's too late for that now.

Still, I'm going to have some fun with that sucker... And perhaps I'll be in a better position to buy one of these RGB units in the fall. (Meanwhile I'll drool over the pictures DreamBeamz posted!)

Junktronix; if you do get one, be sure to post more pics! (grin)

Adam

Default F2000 review - sort of

I hate to reply to my own post, but I thought I'd share a little more information about these F2000 units...

I went to see DreamBeamz this past weekend (he helped me troubleshoot my HGM 5 Argon that isn't lasing), and one of the highlights of my visit was getting to see the F2000 RGB projector in operation up close!

These things are *very* cool. Ok - sure it's only TTL blanking. You still get 7 colors (8 if you count black, or no light, as a color), and the color balance is surprisingly good. Everything I've read tells me that this projector doesn't have enough blue to give you a good looking white. Well, evidently the color charts are wrong. This thing makes WHITE... Not pinkish white, not greenish white, but WHITE.

The teal is stunning, the yellow is vibrant, and the pink (or magenta if you will) is beautiful. And even when displaying the 3 primary colors, no one color stands out as being significantly brighter than the other.

I honestly don't understand why the colors look as good as they do. Based on all the literature out there, this projector should look wayyyy too bright in the red, and seriously deficient in the blue. But it doesn't!

The galvos are average. Sure, they're only 15K, but you can push them a bit, and they look pretty good. NO, you're not going to be able to display EVERY ilda file in your library, but you can do a lot of cool images. And yes, there were a few images that showed some jitter and tails, though I think that may be due to induced noise on the input jack. (They use an 8-pin ethernet jack to bring in all the signals for the box, rather than the ILDA 25-pin standard connector. You have to build an adapter cable, which can induce noise if you're not careful.)

Bottom line, for the money these things will out-perform anything you can build for yourself. Sure, they're not going to compete with a full-blown professional rig, but it's one way to get going RIGHT NOW with full color. Slap in a faster pair of scanners and you'd have a serious projector. (Though I don't know about high blanking rates and the TTL power response of the lasers - that might be an issue...)

I wish I had the money to buy one right now! After seeing it in real life, I'm quite impressed!

Adam

I'll be in for one or maybe two, but I will confirm it in a few days!!

Buffo, about blanking, he says in the first post that it has analog blanking (in the PROS chapter), so finally analog or not analog?

SBK;

Must have been an error when he first entered the specs... That, or else it was claimed to have analog and he's only able to run it TTL with his DAC hardware..

(I forget, is Full-Auto / X-29 capable of analog blanking?)

Adam

I don't know if Full auto is capable of analog blanking, but I think yes...

Can we see on the movies if it is analog or TTL blanking?

But I think, 7 colors is still great for that price

x29 only has ttl color mod, no analog

I ordered one of these. It's hard to tell from the videos whether the system is making colors other than the primary 7, but if DreamBeamz is using X29 and that has only ttl modulation, that would explain it. Pangolin supports analog modulation so I'll verify whether the lasers in the F2000 actually do have analog modulation when it gets here.