Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tingle from homemade projectors

If sound stuff is connected to your gear and does not have common earth then "jitters" can appear quite easily but not inevitably.
    Unless of course all interconnections are "differential" and have no ground (shield) connections. (eg shielding connected only at one end).

Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 08-20-2011 at 14:06.

So for example if I was to play a show in QS with audio and had to send the audio to the DJs mixer it could cause the scanners to jitter? or if I was to take a feed from the Dj mixer for an audio trigger.

Exactly I can see you are getting the idea.

Unless of course all interconnections are "differential" and have no ground (shield) connections. (eg shielding connected only at one end).
    PS. Sound guy will call them "balanced" not differential connections.

Cheers

Every days a school day!

Thanks for your help. I am just searching through ebay to see what I can find.
    What about something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toroid-ISB-1...item4cf8b8a052

If you need an isolation transformer, look for the kind used for shavers. Commonly found in hotels.

Most of the time they can supply 75-100W which is enough for most projectors, unless you want to run your control gear (PC or laptop) off the same connection.

Isolating your control network is possble when you use Ethernet: Instead of copper CAT5, use multimode fiber optics to a point closest to your projectors and put a switch or media converter there.

the argon i used to run had no gnd. just hot and neutral . I had no problems until somone said to make it LEGAL you have to have a ground. It's for safety purposes. --- and ..... *Electrician's rule of thumb::: "keep one hand in your pocket at all times" ;] .. (to keep any current from running thru your heart) .

Steve... I think you maybe living in the wrong place mate... try going south a couple of thousand miles !

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    If you need an isolation transformer, look for the kind used for shavers. Commonly found in hotels.

Most of the time they can supply 75-100W which is enough for most projectors, unless you want to run your control gear (PC or laptop) off the same connection.

Isolating your control network is possble when you use Ethernet: Instead of copper CAT5, use multimode fiber optics to a point closest to your projectors and put a switch or media converter there.
    If I use these smaller ones how will it affect the jitters? Would one per laser work? or as catalanjo says they should all be powered from the same tranny including the control equipment?

I have found this on ebay which looks like it will suit my needs - 3 or 4 projectors controlled form my laptop with powered usb hub

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230658459340...84.m1423.l2649

What do you think?

Thanks again fopr the help

Cheers
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
    If I use these smaller ones how will it affect the jitters? Would one per laser work? or as catalanjo says they should all be powered from the same tranny including the control equipment?
    I have found this on ebay which looks like it will suit my needs - 3 or 4 projectors controlled form my laptop with powered usb hub
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/230658459340...84.m1423.l2649
    What do you think?
    Thanks again fopr the help Cheers Rich
    Not quite right there Rich... look at my earlier post ....

"If you need more just get another one since they can happily share the same earth."

All the different bits of gear can have different trafos AND share the same earth as long as they are all "Iso-trafos".

Which means YES you can use lots of small bathroom shaver trafos as suggested by Stoney 3k.
    Sounds like a good idea to me cos they must be cheaper than most due to mass market/production !

Just make sure you check their isolation as described earlier. .

Followed your link and the "Toroid Medical Grade isolation Transformer ISB-100W" this will work fine but looks a tad pricey due the "medical grade" bit. However since it is toroidal it wont "buzz" which is handy.

Cheers

Whatever you do don't Piss on it...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin