Thread: Chauvet Scorpion Storm FX

Default Chauvet Scorpion Storm FX

Hey all,

Is there a way to replace either the Red and Greens in there with a Blue or other replacement lasers? I dunno, I'm just asking.

It's well out of of warranty and I'm not the original owner. I bought it on Ebay with only the Red working. I had another unit that needed red so I bought it and took the red out of it. Now I have a box with no diodes.

Is this possible? Legal? I haven't emailed Chauvet....heck I don't know if they can even sell diodes to end users legally. Just starting here because of all the "bright" and "focused" minds on this board.

Thanks,

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by jtnichol View Post
    Hey all,

Is there a way to replace either the Red and Greens in there with a Blue or other replacement lasers? I dunno, I'm just asking.

It's well out of of warranty and I'm not the original owner. I bought it on Ebay with only the Red working. I had another unit that needed red so I bought it and took the red out of it. Now I have a box with no diodes.

Is this possible? Legal? I haven't emailed Chauvet....heck I don't know if they can even sell diodes to end users legally. Just starting here because of all the "bright" and "focused" minds on this board.

Thanks,
    You could replace the original lasers in the unit and yes, they can be bought from Chauvet. They would certainly not modify it to blue. Adding a 445 diode yourself theoretically IS possible but will certainly void any warranty, definately make it not legal and, most importantly no longer make it safe. Chauvets products are made in such a way that they are below the output requiring a variance. Usually by defraction gratings or other methods. Adding a higher powered laser, throws those calculations all to hell.

OK, I think I'll just get a hold of Chauvet. I already knew they were in the 4.95mw category...I just didn't know if I had to do anything to the power supplies to do a brighter laser. This is where the rubber of knowledge meets the road of ignorance when it comes to this stuff. I have a guy in KC that I'd love to hang around...but he's all over the nation doing shows etc. and isn't around much. Brad, thanks again man! Gosh a blue would be so fun in there.