Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'd like to thank...

As a new member here and as someone way up here in the PNW with little or no chance of attending a SELEM I can't help but put forward a comment about the kind of people that are here.
    A rare breed of folks would go through the troubles you all did to get "one of your own" out to your event.
    I think it speaks volumes about the true character of those involved.
    My kudos to you all.
    And one could only hope that with a growing number of members up here that perhaps something soon may develop for us and with a big helping of luck, we might also find the benefits of that kind of people.

What an outgoing person you must be Mr. "mixedgas" !

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

And one could only hope that with a growing number of members up here that perhaps something soon may develop for us and with a big helping of luck, we might also find the benefits of that kind of people.

End Quote.

You have some Canadian Professional Laserists who used to produce one heck of a bash every year, they KNOW how to do it, and the hotel venue is STILL wired for 3 Phase, cooling Water, and other Laserist useful things. One of them is still in biz, and might be game to host a small LEM in his display facility. I don't know if he reads PL. Some Americans will gladly come if the "Canadian Optics Cleaning Kit" is still available at the Ontario drive in freezer. I don't drink, was the designated driver, so I would not know what that is, however much of it was not available in the states.

I get invited because I love to teach, and know how to fix old things, and because I have this massive tool kit.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-23-2011 at 18:22.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I'm sorry I never even got chance to say "hello". I know the value of Steve's presence at SELEM so, I was glad to help out. I'm happy to hear it was beneficial for people. I spent most of that day monopolizing Marc (CT Lasers) time which was a valuable, albeit costly (lol) experience.

I had a great time watching you tweak the gas lasers Steve, thanks for coming and thank you to everyone who helped get him there!

On a completely unrelated note I've purchased a 15HP rotary phase converter

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacg5 View Post
    I've purchased a 15HP rotary phase converter
    And so the addiction begins! (You were warned...)

Adam

"You have some Canadian Professional Laserists who used to produce one heck of a bash every year, they KNOW how to do it, and the hotel venue is STILL wired for 3 Phase, cooling Water, and other Laserist useful things. One of them is still in biz, and might be game to host a small LEM in his display facility. I don't know if he reads PL. Some Americans will gladly come if the "Canadian Optics Cleaning Kit" is still available at the Ontario drive in freezer. I don't drink, was the designated driver, so I would not know what that is, however much of it was not available in the states."
    "Some Americans will gladly come if the "Canadian Optics Cleaning Kit" is still available at the Ontario drive in freezer."

Sounds like it may have been something...but the "We" i was referring to is us up in the Pacific North West area or more likely the Vancouver BC area.
    My personal choice would be to pick a nice long weekend and take the whole thing out into the wilds. There are lots of easily accessible areas just outside of the main cities (just outside of Mission for those of us `round here) like old gravel pits or logging camps where a couple of generators could provide ample power.
    - sidenote - I'm personally trying to make my own system so that it can run from an automotive inverter and perhaps keep the 12 VDC system charged through micro-hydro power generation & solar cells.
    Think of the fun of going camping and getting high tech at the same time !
    Think of the fun of hearing all kinds of reports of "weird lights and rays coming out of the bushes" in the media afterwards.
    I've done big camping trips like this many times before so I have lots of experience organizing it. (Up to 50 people on a few)
    Surround sound systems, (with the speakers in the tree line so you don't see the sources of the sounds) Turkish steam baths, (thermometres top out at 50 degrees C. Gets hotter than that for 45 minutes or more) glacier fed streams, (for the plunge after steaming and crystal clean water) simple light shows, espresso machines, full kitchens, (just so one guy could make the claim that we even had the proverbial "kitchen sink") and for those of us who plan it right, even hot showers every night before bed. (about 20 minutes of slow running water.)
    If it's too much trouble for some a back-up plan for an un-used racetrack site might also be an option.
    But I'm just a bit ahead of myself with all that at the moment...
    First I need to confirm the number of members that would be interested.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Purchased a Phase Converter.

I have a friend with tonnes of new medical OEM laser heads and PSUs that would run just fine off that phase converter, PM me.

Steve

Very nice to see you again too Steve. A LEM up your way sounds very tempting for sure.

hak

If I may -- I would like to add a thank you letter in the same vein as Steves's from a guy who would not have come for not of the help of many others..

To: "l henz" <hakzaw1(at)yahoo(dot)com>

Please express my sincere appreciation to all those who helped and contributed
    to making my visit possible as well as twisting my arm. And being able
    to meet some of the poeple I've been emailing and newsgrouping with for ages.
    All of you get free lifetime tech support via the Laser FAQ.

I did especially enjoy the laser tinkering in the back rooms and being able
    to see some of the equipment people built up close and personal. I'm simply
    amazed at how passionate everyone is and what they have been able to do with
    resourcefullness and social networking.

Also, express my apologies to the guy (Rich?) who did the Close Encounters
    show for my not seeing it under better conditions (only during the setup).
    If there's any way to view it on a PC, I'd love to do that but I'm not going
    to build a projector only for that purpose. ;-)

cheers---sam
    endquote

aka LaserSam-- SiliconeSam(on Ebay)-- and SAM the Laser Guru--Sam Goldwasser phd-- Sam's Laser FAQ
    HOW COOL IS THAT?
    Hopefully he will attend another LEM.
    Can we somehow put up a video of the 'CloseEncounters' show he was referring to? I think a have a partial vid of it.
    I also want to thank Buffo and everybody else at this years event--
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 08-24-2011 at 16:29.

Since this is a "Thank You" thread, I'd like to thank David for letting me ride with him to and from the event, Brad for letting me sleep on the lil sofa in his and his son's room, Adam for orginizing the event, Len and Brad for the food they cooked, Mario for the songs I made shows to, Jeff and Kevin for the RV, and everyone else for comeing out to make it a great event.

The only downsides were that neither Spec nor 300Evil attended... I guess we will need to work harder as a community to make sure they are there next year. O yea, David didn't get drunk either; must work on that also.

@Sam and Len, it was actually me, aka Aaron, who made the Close Encounters show and I will work to make a video of it for you both.

I also want to ask anyone who attended and is interested in the shows from Mario's songs and/or the Close encounters show to PM me with what shows, what format you want them, and your email address that I can send them to; I will work to get them to you. I can provide Mario's music but the Close Encounters song, Wild Signals, you'll have to get separatly due to copyright issues. The other shows I played I have been paid for and are not available for free... since others have spent money on them... but a few of them are for sale if anyone is interested.

I have a friend with tonnes of new medical OEM laser heads and PSUs that would run just fine off that phase converter, PM me.
    Sweet! PM sent!