Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DAC?

Question DAC?

Hi guys let me start off by saying that I am a bit of a noob... I was looking at getting a Laserworld CS-600 RGB, is that a good buy, if I can get one for $370. I obviously want to be able to control it via the IDLA port. I was tempted into the iShow package for $50, so that I could use it as I DAC for my friends Pangolin (He lost his DAC). But then I kept reading about how bad it was, so I decided against it. But then I read that it was compatible with Spaghetti, but you needed a driver, which I didn't know where to get. I then saw that you could make one from a sound card, of which I have an old 7.1 channel one, but I couldn't find any instructions on how to build it, or where to get, or what the components are. Then I thought of an open source one (if it exits) or at least one to use with spaghetti, but they are all so expensive. Where could I get a good cheapish DAC. BTW, I know it aint a cheap hobby, and you certainly "don't get a free lunch", but thanks in advance for your help.

Will

the best dac for the least money you can get is the RIYA lite usb dac, at around 130 usd. analog modulation, ttl support and many features of more expensive dacs

just my 2p
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    the best dac for the least money you can get is the RIYA lite usb dac, at around 130 usd. analog modulation, ttl support and many features of more expensive dacs just my 2p
    Never used the lite USB version!
    Can you use DMX control to jump to preset cues ?

Cheers

Laserworld =

But be sure to do a search here for Laserworld just to be sure

Lot of bad press on Laserworld on here from members who allegedly tested their units and found them a long way from specification.

It sounds as if you're in the US in which case its difficult to find a low cost option as projectors need to be FDA approved / varianced.

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post
    Never used the lite USB version!
    Can you use DMX control to jump to preset cues ?

Cheers
    while i own one, i have never done anything dmx with it. i don't think it supports it

i'm talking about this one
    "its called character briggs..."

Ah .... no DMX input then !
    Thanks for the info.
    Cheers

Ahhhh, so with the DAC could I use software like Pangolin?

Thanks

Will

Sorry that wasn't clear, with the DAC pictured, could I use Pangolin or Spaghetti, or something like that.

Thanks

Will

The pic was just a cable that connects to the Riya DAC he mentioned (unless of course it is so miniaturised that it is lterally inside the 25pin Dtype plug)

Cheers