Thread: !@@&%%**#!!!!

Default !@@&%%**#!!!!

F##KKKK!!!!! Just killed a HL6388. Screwing around with a PBS cube almost ready to combine to make 400+ mw of 638 and must have reflected back thru the prism to the diode and BAM - a $130 LED. And an entire day of work shot. SH*T !!!! It's my own fault. Damn! Gotta be more careful next time. Arrrgh .

Damn, I offer my deepest condolences.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

I concur with what the two above have stated.

Lightbulb

Hey Steve-o...

Sorry, Cap'n... I feel for ya... Here's an idea for you (...and all Red-comboer's..) - once you have your 1st Red all mounted-up, put like a 70/30 beam-splitter right after the red - at a 45˚ - so you are 'dumping' 70% of the power, offsides, and only passing 30%.. for that matter, you could use an 80/20... R the 80% and only 'pass' 20% of the power....

The 'concept' here, is two-fold: a) you are working with less-power going 'out', to your comboing-stage; so, therefore, there is much less power out there TO get 'reflected-back'... AND, b) the 45˚ splitter, in-front of your diode, should, 'block' (reflect) even more of what comes-back, (..if it does..) thus, reducing what can get back into the can, even-further...

Yes, you can certainly just put your mod-signal on a pot, and 'turn it down', but, at least with diodes I've worked with in the past, that 'changed' the beam-profile, at least slightly, which, when you're comboing, you want as 'close to full-power a-profile', as-possible... As long as you use a fairly 'thin' splitter - 1mm or less - you should not 'shift' or distort the beam, that much... And just 'turning-down the power' also does not afford you the 'sunglasses' protection-concept, like above... I've done this in the past, and it worked well...

Actually, you can use both techniques... splitter, while rough aligning; then, when-close, turn diode off, remove the splitter, and slowly ramp-up to full power, when you can see all is good to go.... Of course, you will want to have 'adjustability' on your cube, and diode mount, so you can 'spank' the alignment-in, to compensate for what-little shift having the splitter inline, may have caused...

Now, let fly all the 'why this is a terrible idea's... Hope this is helpfull...

peace...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Thank you all for the kind words.. gone but not forgotten .. poor little thing .. was so young.. <sob> barely had a life before the tragic cruel end .. <sniff> .. and I'm to blame .. BWahahahahahahaahhh.. .. well, such is life, and bless it's little heart, gave it's remains to science for the betterment of laser-kind .. and future endeavors .. :|
    Whitelight- cool casket Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	7 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	27448
    Jon- Thanx for the info.
    And Thx Aaron and MLS :>
    Last edited by steve-o; 09-18-2011 at 16:51. Reason: Giving thanks at the funeral

Your loss might not be for nothing. Many of us are combining diodes with PBS and I for one assumed that feed back from the cube/mirrors and lens was so unlikely to enter a source diode that I never gave it a thought. If you did something wrong, what was it? Even if using a splitter to limit the risk, how do you know when "all is good to go"?

Yeah, what he said ^^

How can a PBS back reflect to damaging levels (assuming it's not at 45 deg orientation)?

All I know is that I was trying to orient the cube to see which polarization was H and V, and suddenly bang-LED. Ive seen this before. The stripe middle is dark. It is still trying to lase (dimly) on both outer edges. It looks like back reflection (facet?) damage to me.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I for one assumed that feed back from the cube/mirrors and lens was so unlikely to enter a source diode that I never gave it a thought.
    Talk to some people here about the "Marconi modules" .

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci
    assuming it's not at 45 deg orientation
    It is possible that when I was rotating the cube there was a 45 deg 'incident' :/