Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for knife-edging dual 445's...?

Default Any tips for knife-edging dual 445's...?

I'm considering combining a pair of 445nm diodes using a dual-diode knife-edge mount.
    The mount holds the diodes in a side-by-side arrangement, with NO correction optics.

Can anyone offer any tips for diode orientation, beam alignment and knife-edge "trimming" that would provide a decent beam suitable for an RGB projector?
    (Primarily for use as a "beam" projector, with some occasional graphics).

Thanks in advance!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I just put together a couple quads using o-like lenses and what I did was stack them as close to each-other as possible. I get a good bit of smoke in the air and keep only the brightest center of the beam. It seemed to be the only way to get anything that would fit my mirrors at all. I'm getting a good bit of loss with my setup, but that was expected and eventually they will be replaced with cubed quads and different lenses. I think as long as you get the focus set well, that is the key. Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ireedz View Post
    It seemed to be the only way to get anything that would fit my mirrors at all.
    Hi there What size scanner mirrors are you using? I'm planning a quad blue using 4 side-by-side 445s with O-Likes.

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    Hi there What size scanner mirrors are you using? I'm planning a quad blue using 4 side-by-side 445s with O-Likes.
    I have the DT-40 Wides with the standard mirrors. I don't recall the mirror dimensions. I think they are 5mm.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

if you're planning on doing RGB graphics, i recommend you do something more than just knife edging. remember, the intent is to have all the far-field spots overlap as neatly as possible.

here's a little dual 445 unit i built. it mixes cleanly, has excellent divergence and has no problems fitting on my scanner (dt40w) mirrors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dual-445-complete.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	27486

Name:	dual-445-ap-09.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	27487

Name:	dual-445-ap-08.jpg 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	27488

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    I'm considering combining a pair of 445nm diodes using a dual-diode knife-edge mount.
    The mount holds the diodes in a side-by-side arrangement, with NO correction optics.

Can anyone offer any tips for diode orientation, beam alignment and knife-edge "trimming" that would provide a decent beam suitable for an RGB projector?
    (Primarily for use as a "beam" projector, with some occasional graphics).

Thanks in advance!!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    if you're planning on doing RGB graphics, i recommend you do something more than just knife edging. remember, the intent is to have all the far-field spots overlap as neatly as possible.

here's a little dual 445 unit i built. it mixes cleanly, has excellent divergence and has no problems fitting on my scanner (dt40w) mirrors.
    That looks quite nice. I'm not sure that Stuka would be happy with the beam that he will get from just knife edging either. I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post

Name:	dual-445-complete.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	27486

Name:	dual-445-ap-09.jpg 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	27487

Name:	dual-445-ap-08.jpg 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	27488
    Dang, that's a lot of optics - but the beam does look good!!!

Care to elaborate on the beam path, the optics you used, and where you got them?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Stuka... See attached pics....This is a experimental test set up I did to just experiment with knife edging in preparation for the Zod Quad. I would only use a PBS with a dual set up....like Swamidog's....NICE BEAM....no knife edging !! I cannot understand the beam shaping optics on the LD on the right....almost looks like cylinderical optics ??? or maybe Anamorphic Prisms turned 90 degree ???

Anyway.....I MUST use knife edging to do a quad !!! My test set up uses Daves LD mounts and Flexmounts. My name for it ( MUST name everything ) is the Zod Dual...mmm or Zuul.....Of Course !!!

I also do not understand why you would choose more optics loss by going thru two sets of beam shaping optics.....then go to combining ??? Perhaps SD can further explain his set up ?????But....his beam SURE looks great !!! That is for sure !!!

Like I said....this is just a set up to experiment....B4 I drill and tap many, many mounting holes in Copper !!!

Oh...And...Go with the JML PBS....I bet it is the best efficiency we are going to see !!!!! 97% efficiency on transmission and 95 % efficiency on reflectance !!!

And for the asphericals...go with the O Like and Simons Prisms for beam shaping...ALL My opinion....subject to change daily !!! haha

CDBEAM and Terrawatt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zod Dual Top.jpg  

Zod Dual Side.jpg  

Zod Dual Beams.jpg  

Zuul.jpg  

Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

sure.. i'm using aixiz blue lenses and prisms/cube from the group buy p1t8ull did last year.

here's the render i made as a template before doing the physical construction.

Name:	dual-445-render.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	27493

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Dang, that's a lot of optics - but the beam does look good!!!

Care to elaborate on the beam path, the optics you used, and where you got them?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Cool - looks good!

Thanks!
    RR

Sweet.....