Thread: TEXLEM 2012 Wrap-Up - Thank You!

Default TEXLEM 2012 Wrap-Up - Thank You!

Just a quick thank you to those that made TEXLEM 2012 happen!

To George & Catherine at Urban 15 (and Staff) - Thank you for your hospitality, for future possibilities, and for all that you do! You folks rock!
    To Tim "LaserWizard" - Thank you for helping to organize this event, for bringing gear and for sharing your awesome work with us!
    To Len "Hakzaw1" - Thank you for helping to organize this event too, as well as coordinating the BBQ meal on Saturday (Thanks go out to Jack too!)
    To Adam "Buffo" - Thanks for the "LEM" guidance, as well as registering, even though you knew you would likely not attend - shirt on the way!
    To Brad and Jonathan - Thanks for flying in with your gear!
    To Chris & David - Thanks for the Pens and glow sticks!
    To Pangolin - Thanks for the BEYOND shirts!
    To all that contributed door prizes: Dr. Chuck at Aixiz, Mike Dunn, David (DZ), Tim, Patrick, Bob - Thank you as well! I was not aware of all prizes that were made available, but everyone that was fully registered and present on Saturday was a winner!

Door Prize Re-cap:

Jonathan "Platinum" - Pangolin Quickshow (Aixiz)
    Patrick "Opcom" = 445 Laser, Analog Mod (Aixiz)
    Mark - 532 Laser, TTL Mod (Aixiz)
    Len "Hakzaw1" - (1) Laser Show (Mike Dunn), Laser Shutter (DZ)
    Adam "Sugeek" - (1) Laser Show (Mike Dunn)
    ? - Lumia Kit (Hakzaw1)
    Bob - Lumia Kit (Displaser)
    Tim "LaserWizard" - Laser Xmitter (Displaser)
    Brad "Bradfo69" - Green Disco Laser (Aixiz)
    Rodney "Rodman1369" - Laser Scissors (LaserWizard)
    Greg "Displaser" - Multi-tool (Bob)
    Chris "PrismaticMagic" - Meter (Opcom)

We had fun with the lumia & scanner tuning workshops. Everyone had samples to take home! Thanks to all who participated!

I've missed some details no doubt - if you contributed or won a door prize and are not listed, please add to this!

It was great speaking with Paul (Clandestiny) on Sunday - Glad that you were able to come by!

Greg (Displaser)
    Last edited by Displaser; 02-05-2012 at 20:50.
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Arrived back uneventfully about 45 minutes ago. Yes, a tremendous weekend. I'll add more tomorrow but, I'd have to say, TEXLEM 1 was quite a success and you and Len deserve a lot of credit.

I want to thank everyone who made this possible and who attended. I definitely want to do it again next year. I especially want to say thanks to Aixiz for the 300mW 445 nm laser. Having not messed with lasers seriously for decades, I was not even sure that kind of thing was available. I have a good reason now to find a powerful red to go with the 532 handheld and the new 445nm door prize, and I can see Aixiz is the place to go as they have combining mirrors too. - looking at the site, sort of one stop shopping! I was amazed how everyone was willing to explain things and everyone was free to ask questions. That is not like the typical seminar where you pay big money, don't get to touch anything, and are lucky to go home with a copy of the powerpoints. The Pangolin software and module was amazing as were the many scanners (projectors). I wasn't ready for those things but maybe next time.

I posted a few pictures... (the picture is the link)

The videos I need to convert to PL friendly formats.

Thanks to Urban 15 for having us and being wonderful hosts, you have a wonderful thing going on! I can't wait to go back down and visit next time I am in town (LEM or not). The company was good, I had a lot of fun playing with lasers, lumia, being a dork, and hanging out.

As for the door prizes I need to thank DrLava for a Flexmod P3 and I won one of the two grand prizes a certificate for a Mike Dunn laser show of my choice which is AWESOME! I do want to also thank: DZ (shutter kit), Chuck of Aixiz Lasers (FB3, 445 and a 532), Hak - lumia kit, Displacer - lumia kit, Tim Walsh (laser guided scissors), and the others I missed because that was off the top of my head! Pangolin was nice enough to send down t-shirts and other swag, thanks Bill. Another big thanks goes out to Platinum because he brought a case of Viso from Portland so I didn't have to break out my pure caffeine to spike fruit juice.

Everybody deserves a big thanks for making it a great event, I wish I had not had to leave so early today and miss seeing clandestiny.

(snipped from other thread, so sorta a repeat, but thanks twice doesn't hurt!)

Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Nice pics, I see Kryptonite and some Hendrix! Damn I wish I coulda made it!

The Jimi song was so good we saw it twice.

Thanks David for donating the shutter- fate keeps pointing me towards doing what it takes to make and do legit compliant varianced shows.

big thanks to George and Miss Cat for the venue-Tim for doing eight+ years of groundwork with URBAN 15-Greg did a super organizing job for all of us. Thanks to all who brought and shared thier rigs and shows and to my good buddy Jack for helping me make the trek and doing a lot of backing me up.

I can never thank Dr Chuck at AixiZ Lasers enough for the continuing support of SELEM, TEXLEM and ILDA and all the help he has given to me.

edit
    The flexmod P3 analog Dr Lava driver may have been donated by Platinum/Jonathon rather than by Andrew--not sure.

There was three Lumia Kits in the prize pool one from Displaser and I donated the other two and a 32mW green 'Disco Laser'. Opcom donated one of the vintage surplus voltage Meters. The two MikeDunn laser show songs should have been put into the first round of draws- instead of a second round... in the future to avoid this all LEM donations should be in the pool in advance and as the actual item or at the very least a certificate for the item.

ILDA San Antonio 2012 is coming soon. There has been some talk about some kind of LEM-like function at URBAN 15 during the ILDA meet. If I attend ILDA it would only be if I could stay at URBAN 15.

hak

PS -those who attended can vouch for the venue.. and it can only get better by next TEXLEM.. we came up a bit short on the funds- it would have been nicer to cover the shirts, all the food cost and also have a bit more to give URBAN 15 and still be able to send some $$ to help support PL.

Next time this will be easier if all who attend convince at least one more to become an attendee and we bring along some more guests. Improvements to the venue are on-going. Next time the dorm rooms will be much improved. IMO we could sleep at least 30+ guys w/o any problems.

As far as our ladies coming.... unless they are into lasers I dont think most would enjoy the meet as much as us guys. There is another shower across from the kitchen which could be set aside for the ladies and there are many cool things aside from the Meet to see and do in San Antonio.

However LEMs are not the greatest place to the kiddos... just too many dangers. We had some younger guys come to SELEM withy thier dads and grand dads and they were great to have...

The kitchen at URBAN15 is excellant-all meals COULD be provided on site if we share the cooking(& clean-up) and the providing of the food. No real need to leave and go to a pricy resturant.

Carpooling instead of flying in can be a great way to save money too,,,,it also allows the bringing of more gear, food already prepared or to cook on-site.

Staying in the dorms can reduce the cost of attending too.

We are thinking of still having TEXLEM 2013 on SuperBowl weekend as it is one that normally does not have functions going on at URBAN 15.

However we can display the game at the venue ( I heard somewhere that the Casio projectors can also be used to do that...lol) and do more lasereshows after the game....& IF we could extend TEXLEM to end on Monday morning/noon and if we can get access to the venue on Thursday evening we could run many more shows all day and night on Friday and hold more seminars/workshops too. By doing it this way those who cannot arrive til Friday or must leave on Sunday will get more. Rental cars are IMHO a wasted expense. The airport is a quick and easy drive from the venue.
    To sum all up- between carpooling-no rent cars-meals on site- no expensive or crappy low-cost motels costs- TEXLEM 2013 could be the bargain LEM of all time.

LAST REQUEST

I think all who attended should send a personal TY directly to George and Miss Cat via the URBAN 15 homepage. Send your thanks to Tim Walsh too-never would have happened with Tim.
    Posting your appreciation here on PL is NOT good enough.

An additional donation to URBAN 15 can be easily made by clicking the link at the bottom of thier home page. Be sure to add a note about TEXLEM and send that as a gift(no PP fees==most who paid for TEXLEM forgot to do this and PP got some $$ that could have been used for the LEM--duh!)
    TY notes should be sent to those who donated to the doorprizes. Contact Greg or me if you need help sending your TYs.

We need your help for TEXLEM 2013-- there is something for everybody to do to make TEXLEM 2013 the best and it is not fair to expect a few to do all the work for many. Suggestions are very welcome.

<3... hak
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 02-07-2012 at 11:57.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Finally a few minutes to sit and compose some reflections. TEXLEM was pretty decent all the way around. I was looking forward to going to a smaller LEM just as a comparison since I've only ever been to the granddaddy in NC. I think the venue has been well documented already and is a neat facility but, having admittedly spent some time in detox and rehab years ago, it WAS a bit reminicent of why I never want to be in that situation again. Having to be "buzzed" in the door to a secured facility and being very communal in nature, without tv... without internet... and living with people that you don't really know all that well and some you've never met, all there for a common purpose brough back some memories. You "pace" at times when you need a break. Anyway... enough about that. Thanks still go to George and Catherine for their vision and hard work to convert Urban 15 to what it will eventually become. Very artsy, ecclectic feel.

Being smaller afforded the opportunity to all have hands on experiences with the workshops put on by Greg and Tim. Many thanks to them for dragging along extra gear and making that opportunity available. Lumia and other effects scanned through, bounced off of and generally observed seemed to be the order of the weekend and it's amazing the types of things people find to shoot a laser through with unique results. Vaccum forming of objects to create lumia wheels is a simple yet entertaining way of further expanding the possibilities of lasers as art. Tim's scanner tuning seminar was also a tremendous help as reading it and actually seeing it done are two very different things. I'm still a tiny bit nervous about breaking out a screwdriver but, it is on my to do list in the very near future with a couple of my projectors. Maybe even as soon as this evening. Tim as also very helpful in re-aligning my projector after it's first handling by American Airlines. I'm comfortable with it but, Tim really helped with some of the finer points and things to look for in the optic train so, I think I can make improvements in the output of some of my other projectors as well.

A number of shows were run in their dance studio and, again, thanks go to Greg for his recent investments in material from Mike Dunn. One thing that is painfully apparent though is the lack of decent content being developed that is easily obtainable. Either by the hobby or professional community. Graphics shows more so than beam shows. Tim had some of his creations including the New Years Eve performance given to the town of McAllister, Texas. Greg had his Dunn shows and I ran a lot of the less watched Pangolin graphics and beam shows from the show site and ftp site but, it was hard to come up with things that we hadn't all seen numerous times. Aside from paying out thousands to real artists, I don't know how one works to solve that problem.
    Not being an "artist", I do find myself scrounging for content wherever I can find it and hope to have some things for SELEM and the eventual DeLEM that few have seen. Currently I'm working on collecting shows/music created for Moncha 2.1 and securing music for everything distributed with LSX Pro.

The "thanks" list for the generous donations is rather long and lest I forget someone, I'll generically say "thanks" to all of the contributors. I hope I am as fortunate when the time comes to host DeLEM to find people so gracious in supporting the hobbiest community. Pangolin, DZ, Greg, Tim, the list goes on... but, special mention should be made though to Aixiz and Mike Dunn.

Thanks also to the culinary works of Sir Hak. I really should have offered to assist more than I did but, this WAS a break from work where I do it everyday and, you had things well under control.

We also discovered some people need to learn the difference between a mirror and a dichro. (Inside joke...ya had ta be there.)

All in all, a very worthwhile experience and much needed break from work. I highly encourange anyone new to lasers or this forum with any interest in the hobby at all to pick a local LEM and arrange to go. You will find it to be a very rewarding experience as a few of our attendees had the good fortune to discover.