Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Customs & Border Protection ....Seized my laser.... HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Wizardry View Post
    You have to realize that every laser product right down to Sony DVD players have accession numbers and have had their product reports submitted and approved. ALL laser products regardless of power and wavelength have a paperwork trail with the CDRH or they are not legal to sell here.
    laser product, as in complete product, like I said, a true OEM product does not need an accession number, ex a laser diode can't have a variance

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 11:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Wizardry View Post
    Good point. I should have clarified that more in my post. I should also say that while it is technically true that an OEM product does not need an accession number, the government's definition of what an OEM laser is does tend to vary from our definition from time to time, which brings us back to the reality of our hobby/ industry where if they (customs) can plug it in or put batteries in and get a laser beam, it better have an accession number or it stands a chance of being seized in customs. Or worse, it makes it through but now YOU are on a red flag list. I've seen that happen where a guy gets his stupid laser pointer but then everything they ever order from overseas after that, even DVD's from ebay get held up for days while being inspected at customs before being released.
    thats why I request they not include the SMPS when they ship the laser... if its more complicated than attaching a power cord or inserting batteries I think its reasonable to call it an OEM product

If you want to own any laser above 4.95mW in the USA you MUST HAVE A VARIANCE. Even if it is just for your home use. No US company may sell you a laser above 4.95mW unless you have a Variance. Any seller outside of the USA will sell you a laser, they just want your money, so if it makes it great, but if not, that is your bad for purchasing it without a variance.

Quote Originally Posted by slicklasers View Post
    If you want to own any laser above 4.95mW in the USA you MUST HAVE A VARIANCE. Even if it is just for your home use. No US company may sell you a laser above 4.95mW unless you have a Variance. Any seller outside of the USA will sell you a laser, they just want your money, so if it makes it great, but if not, that is your bad for purchasing it without a variance.
    thats not correct... I can have a 1 billion watt laser inside a sealed enclosure and then its Class I (look at the sticker on your DVD burner)

also you do NOT variance lasers, you variance products... so if its a projector, you variance the projector... if its a lab laser (for real lab use) then you would variance the laser...

but saying "lasers must be varianced" is not entirely clear/accurate

so it states that I can petition for relief from the above liability, has anyone had to do this before, and if so what all do i need to do....when i get home Im going to type out the whole first page.....
    Lasers, Lights, Music, Action!

Slick-

You need to update yourself on Laser regs as you give incorrect information QUITE often. As with our interlock arguments of the past and the above statement you made regarding variances. I know you think you sound like a hot shot when you make claims like that but when you misdirect, misguide and/or mis quote laws and regulations you do nothin but perpetuate a scare tactic.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Which is worrying when you offer to take money off people to get their projector varianced.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by slicklasers View Post
    4.95mW
    Would you care to cite the regulation which includes this oddly precise figure?

thanks for the thread jacking guys....

I only hope someone on the PL has had to deal with seized lasers like this before and can offer some kind of advice.....
    Lasers, Lights, Music, Action!