Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Customs & Border Protection ....Seized my laser.... HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by LaserGuy216 View Post
    thanks for the thread jacking guys....

I only hope someone on the PL has had to deal with seized lasers like this before and can offer some kind of advice.....
    The only situation I know of was, that in the past there was no getting it back, returned to shipper, shipper then sent it to an alternative address and it made it that time.
    leading in trailing technology

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    The only situation I know of was, that in the past there was no getting it back, returned to shipper, shipper then sent it to an alternative address and it made it that time.
    People who have succeeded usually could correct the MINOR violation, ie supply the missing label, provide a variance, get the Chinese to send the proper paperwork for a product that was actually legal etc.

As for the OEM clause, it used to be OEM parts had to have traceable record keeping of the first buyer. I know, I hit that when I first tried to buy a hene tube in 1988. The tube came with a OEM only use sticker, stating that any use of the part required final approval or use as a replacement. I suspect that has not changed. The OEM maker could be held responsible if the parts were mis-used.

Write it off, and accept, that in these days of "DATABASES" that you will have buy a more expensive laser in the future and possibly obtain a variance or certify as a manufacturer. If the Chinese can cough up the required paper work, you would have a chance of succeeding.

I have this nice 1986 letter from a now retired government employee named Villaforth who said: IF I used a approved hene at less then 4.95 mW and its not a medical device, that he had no problems with me doing a non-profit effect for my high school. That pretty much defined "hobbyist" right there. Lasers were rare then. I suspect no such letter would be issued today.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-27-2011 at 18:06.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    The OEM maker could be held responsible if the parts were mis-used.
    that seems a bit unreasonable... so if I take a DVD burner apart and point it at an airplane the manufacturer of the diode would be liable?

sure glad the CDRH has nothing to do with the ATFE

It is legal for a peson without a variance to purchase a class 3b or 4 laser ONLY IF the laser is COMPLIANT TO CDRH REQUIREMENTS. The average joe off the street can not LEGALLY purchase a laser from china that you just plug in unless it meets the CDRH Requirements. It is the requirement of ALL LASER LIGHT SHOW MANUFACTURERES TO ONLY SELL LASER PROJECTORS OVER CLASS 3A TO VARIANCE HOLDERS.

So I guess you think they took the laser for fun? Marc, you should READ your manufacturers variance (if you have one).
    Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    Slick-

You need to update yourself on Laser regs as you give incorrect information QUITE often. As with our interlock arguments of the past and the above statement you made regarding variances. I know you think you sound like a hot shot when you make claims like that but when you misdirect, misguide and/or mis quote laws and regulations you do nothin but perpetuate a scare tactic.

-Marc

Quote Originally Posted by slicklasers View Post
    It is legal for a peson without a variance to purchase a class 3b or 4 laser ONLY IF the laser is COMPLIANT TO CDRH REQUIREMENTS. The average joe off the street can not LEGALLY purchase a laser from china that you just plug in unless it meets the CDRH Requirements. It is the requirement of ALL LASER LIGHT SHOW MANUFACTURERES TO ONLY SELL LASER PROJECTORS OVER CLASS 3A TO VARIANCE HOLDERS.
    like I said, if its plug and play, or put in batteries and play in the case of a pointer, then its non compliant... if its an OEM product, aka requires other stuff to work, like a laser without a power supply or a laser diode, its an OEM product and therefore does NOT need to be CDRH compliant because its intended to be integrated into a compliant device

Let's start here, instead of throwing around hypotheticals and general rules of thumb which are often not accurate - or can be argued to not apply - what did you buy? That is going to have everything to do with what you can do or not.

1 watt 532nm dpss lasever lab laser... power supply...... modulation unit.... laser head......
    Lasers, Lights, Music, Action!

I'm assuming with a power cord, keyswitch and power button, so you could attach a plug, switch on, turn key and have light?
    If so, I'd guess that is your problem right there.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by slicklasers View Post
    Lets get specific here. That is for projectors containing a laser. No one says a thing if I place a credit order for a compliant lab laser from a domestic reseller. Want a 100 watt Co2 laser cutter?, plunk down a credit card.
    Steve