Thread: Wanted, a little piece of code.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Wanted, a little piece of code.

Hello, I need a little piece of code. I have to teach the insides of a very large machine to newbie engineers. I'd like a little utility that would send 4 or 8 green points spaced about 5 points apart down a single red frame, turning it into a "burning fuse" or or "Chase Light" animation. Please don't tell me to use "follow path", my current software is not Pangolin. I'd also not like to take the time to do a multi-track script for each frame.

The idea is I aim the scanners at the machine and draw the signal flows as a single line frame, and then I can show the flow direction and path with the moving color dots on the existing solid line. I'll need to do this quickly, hence the desire for a piece of code, instead of scripting each frame.

Why am I bothering with this? Well, I need something to act as a memory aid. Most people will not remember if I show them the paths with a stick or a pointer. However, due to a little thing studied by a famous guy named Lev Vygotsky, involving figure-ground contrast, I should be able to enhance the retention level using the laser light.

The higher the contrast of a image, to a certain point, the more you can learn from it.

Its why we all are so attracted to the laser, if you have "the bug". 5000:1 contrast is rare. Vector laser displays are one of the few modes that can achieve that level. Books also have a huge contrast ratio, it is why they have been around so long, they work very, very well. Your brain enjoys high contrast when learning.

Can help me out?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Hello, I need a little piece of code....Can help me out?
    Can you not-use an ILDA-file as a 'baseline' for re-coding? I'd be happy to knock-out an ani-for ya and send off an ILDA-file..

Lemme know if that can-werk..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Can you not-use an ILDA-file as a 'baseline' for re-coding? I'd be happy to knock-out an ani-for ya and send off an ILDA-file..

Lemme know if that can-werk..
    j
    I only have 16 machines to learn, and to teach, they weight 4 tonnes and have 4 sides plus a central rotor. This drives me to "owning code", I can do it by hand, but you can bet I'd need to change it on the fly.
    I'm a mere staff member here, not the "artistic director". I work in a plant of 1500 employees, which is part of a 22,000 employee division. It colors your thinking.

Steve

What is it going to send the points to? How fast do you want the chase?

does it look like this?

*--------*--------*--------*------*------*------*--------

Where the *'s are the red and the -'s are the green... and the line disappears from left to right?

I can write something in Andrew's universal DAC layer if you want?

Your description is a bit hard to understand.

You got it.,, with the astrix. Not worried about the speed, 2 to 10 Hz is optimal for attracting human attention.

Left to right works just fine. Just a windows utility to load a single ILDA frame in and get ILDA or WAV animations as files out is all I need. I have RIYA, a QM32, and soon, one of your Arduino based boards. I have LSX.

I need to do this in a classroom setting, so using existing software is just fine. I might have to cover 6 to 8 data paths in a single lesson, so its worth using the existing platform.

Green added onto red is desirable.

This with a few trailing dots added would work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roPrQ...yer_detailpage

So does something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFByI1S7MUQ

I can probably come up with some nice hardware to reword you for your efforts.

Thanks, Steve

So you want the *'s as green dots that are animated with the -'s as reds... where the green *'s chase eachother ..... like a move over to one side of the road sign on the back of a garbage truck? So you essentially are using it as a look here going in this direction fancy laser pointer thing?

So to define the program:

A) You will give the program an ILDA file with a LINE in it....
    B) You press go on the program
    C) The program chugs and makes an ILDA file with the LINE colored in RED and it has GREEN Dots that chase eachother to follow the PATH of the RED line.
    D) You save the file.
    E) You play the file in another program?

Is that right?

Also how soon do you need such a program?

Hey guys, I was bored tonight and started on a little widget that might do this. If we want to make a couple variants for fun, that's cool (just in case mine turns out poo poo ) I'll poke at it this weekend and let ya know what happens. It was a good catalyst to get my lazy bones off the couch and play with a little code for old times sake.
    -Mike