Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: LPC-836

Well I did a raw power measurement on one of these LPC836 and came to the conclusion it could just as well be a LPC826. A while back I did some measurements with the LPC826 and got 390-400mW @ 600mA for the 826, for the LPC836 I got a max of 409mW @ 600mA. So no sign of any mentionable gain compared to the LPC826. The beam profile appears to be slightly better, could be batch dependent. After having worked with the 638nm for a while now the darker 658nm red is just somewhat more appealing to me.

i was about to post about this, but wanted to verify some of my nymbers first. anyway, my first impression is that this is not much better.

test setup: an astec emerson 5v supply feeding a flexmod p3, a multimeter wried in series and the diode in a dave mount and an optima lens. power went up in 20ma increments. i have no 826 to test against, so i run my comparison back to back with an 815 again with the same setup and an optima lens.

i run it just for a while at 600ma and i got 340mw out the business end using an optima lens.
    quite a different number with what you are getting Frank, but we don't use the same power meter, so an ammount of delta could be attributed to this. i also know for a fact that my uncalibrated power meter can be up to 15% "conservative" in the red wavelengths, so my numbers are more usefull as relative references.

results are nothing to write home about. beam properties are exactly the same, lasing threshold is pretty close (78ma vs 85ma), i run the 815 only up to 440ma, and i only did three runs with the 836 at 485ma, 555ma and 600ma. results below.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the only way this diode could surprise us is headroom. but i will not kill one yet. besides, if i feed it 555mw and get 327mW and then go to 600ma just to get 335mW, is a good indication for me that there is not much headroom either
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    i was about to post about this, but wanted to verify some of my nymbers first. anyway, my first impression is that this is not much better.

test setup: an astec emerson 5v supply feeding a flexmod p3, a multimeter wried in series and the diode in a dave mount and an optima lens. power went up in 20ma increments. i have no 826 to test against, so i run my comparison back to back with an 815 again with the same setup and an optima lens.

i run it just for a while at 600ma and i got 340mw out the business end using an optima lens.
    quite a different number with what you are getting Frank, but we don't use the same power meter, so an ammount of delta could be attributed to this. i also know for a fact that my uncalibrated power meter can be up to 15% "conservative" in the red wavelengths, so my numbers are more usefull as relative references.

results are nothing to write home about. beam properties are exactly the same, lasing threshold is pretty close (78ma vs 85ma), i run the 815 only up to 440ma, and i only did three runs with the 836 at 485ma, 555ma and 600ma. results below.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the only way this diode could surprise us is headroom. but i will not kill one yet. besides, if i feed it 555mw and get 327mW and then go to 600ma just to get 335mW, is a good indication for me that there is not much headroom either
    I didn't use any optics, but that's still quit a difference.

it does not worry me, as i expect 3% from the optima and 10-15% from the powermeter and there you have it, diff bridged!

that's why i say treat my numbers as relative differences. so, my findings tell me that this is not anything much better from an 815, for the part that they are driven on equal terms mA per mA.

let's just wait for more data to come in

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    the shittest testing ever in that LPF thread.

lets just turn the current up and up till the diode dies...
    Har! What did they expect? Is there life after death? LOL.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    the shittest testing ever in that LPF thread.

lets just turn the current up and up till the diode dies...
    Hopefully the guy doesn't review cars or restaurants too.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    Hopefully the guy doesn't review cars or restaurants too.
    That guy would be great for test reviews of hand grenades.

The grenade looks very good, and has a very tactile feel to it. It is the usual drab olive colour used by the military. Pulling the pin reveals a
    This space for rent.

... and pay attention lads, i'll do this only one time!!

No Offence andy but thats all the testing i could have done as i mention it in the thread. Sorry if it was not up to your standerd.

If i had more tool i would. Like i siad in the thread i was only testing for max power and thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    That guy would be great for test reviews of hand grenades.

The grenade looks very good, and has a very tactile feel to it. It is the usual drab olive colour used by the military. Pulling the pin reveals a
    Hahahahaha
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.