Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ether Dream: new Ethernet DAC

No ideas?

Hm, a webpage where the hardware is sold but where absolutely no mail address can be found, a vendor that is "active" in this board but is submerging when anybody asks a more detailed question ... feels like I found the reason why that board was THAT cheap at eBay: ist simply not suitablke for serious applications...

Can you give me the exact model number of the routers you're using?

And, just to double-check - you're confirming that it gets a 169.254. address with sitter.exe?

You can contact me by PM, by email at jacob@ether-dream.com, or on the PL IRC. This is an issue I haven't seen before and it's hard to debug without more info...
    Last edited by j4cbo; 02-20-2024 at 15:38.

Also, can you send me the full output (a screenshot or something) of sitter.exe? (http://ether-dream.com/sitter.exe)

Thanks.

> Can you give me the exact model number of the routers you're using?

Currently a D-Link DSL-2641B, the other one I used for testing is a Siemens Gigaset SE 515 dsl

> And, just to double-check - you're confirming that it gets a 169.254. address with sitter.exe?

Yes. Meanwhile I tired it using an own, small program to receive the broadcasts. Amazingly I can receive the broadcasts within my 192.168.1.x network but the source they come from still identifies as the wrong network:

recvfrom(sock, buf, BUF_SIZE, 0, (struct sockaddr *)&bc_addr, &addr_len); -> receiving broadcast message

sprintf(ipBuffer, "%s",inet_ntoa(bc_addr.sin_addr)); -> here the source of the broadcast is 169.254.x.x

Quote Originally Posted by j4cbo View Post
    Also, can you send me the full output (a screenshot or something) of sitter.exe? (http://ether-dream.com/sitter.exe)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sitter.gif 
Views:	18 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	31798

This screenshot is only half of the story, that IP posp up only for a short time, most of the time the window is just empty.

Huh. Does your test program (or Wireshark) still see the broadcasts being sent even when the sitter.exe window is empty?

Do you have a Linux or Mac system around? What I'm going to do is build a binary that contains an instance of the Ether Dream's IP stack with a bunch of instrumentation - this should make it a lot easier to (a) see exactly what's going on with DHCP and (b) try out changes to fix it. I can try to build it for Windows, but Linux would be easiest. This may take me a day or two, since I'm traveling right now, but I'll get it built as soon as I can.

As a temporary workaround - if you connect the Ether Dream straight to your computer with no router involved, they'll both automatically pick compatible IP addresses and things ought to just work. That's not ideal, of course, but it'll let you get output.

I have Linux systems available, both Fedora and Ubuntu.

Argh. My hard drive died this afternoon. I have backups, but it will take me a bit to get back up and running; sorry for the delay.

I've been playing around with my new ether-dream and it works fine with LFI player but am having some problems with the SD card and trying to play a file through osc.

I've put a .ild file on a microSD card and put this in the ether-dream. Then when I connect power to the Ether-Dream in the sitter application the following is displayed in the source section

source: file playback: not playing, repeat off

When I try sending the following osc command nothing happens:

/ilda/1/play

I also tried putting an autoplay.txt file on the card but that doesn't do anything as well.

I'm using win xp and the etherdream has the v0.4rc2-g66136df firmware

Any ideas?