Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Its very greeeeeeeeen

Laser Warning Its very greeeeeeeeen

here you go, couple of random shots, the collimation is not very good, as I only had an old telescope 2x beam eaxpander and my wifes magnifying glass she uses for sewing ... and I had to get one of the kids to hold it in position while the other one stomped on the "go" pedal. beam output diameter is around 40mm, and 150mm when it hits the building 40m away, so it will be way brighter when I do get it collimated.

Beam is not so good in the last shot as the pesky infant would not hold the maginfying glass still.

Anyway, here you are 20W of green in broad daylight out of the shed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01364.JPG 
Views:	378 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	28834

Name:	DSC01366.JPG 
Views:	345 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	28835

Name:	DSC01367.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	28836

Name:	DSC01368.JPG 
Views:	304 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	28837

This really really scares and shocks me.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

I just noticed, if you look carefully at the shed door, at beam level, you can see the accidental burn marks where someone pressed the go pedal when the door was shut.

It's not too bad if that happens at 20W, it takes a few seconds before it smokes, but anything over 80W pulses and it is pretty instant puff of smoke and a bit of flame.

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    here you go, couple of random shots, the collimation is not very good, as I only had an old telescope 2x beam eaxpander and my wifes magnifying glass she uses for sewing ... and I had to get one of the kids to hold it in position while the other one stomped on the "go" pedal. beam output diameter is around 40mm, and 150mm when it hits the building 40m away, so it will be way brighter when I do get it collimated.

Beam is not so good in the last shot as the pesky infant would not hold the maginfying glass still.

Anyway, here you are 20W of green in broad daylight out of the shed

Name:	DSC01364.JPG 
Views:	378 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	28834

Name:	DSC01366.JPG 
Views:	345 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	28835

Name:	DSC01367.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	28836

Name:	DSC01368.JPG 
Views:	304 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	28837

20 watt is a lot of power man...
    First of all you are pointing this straight at a low angle... so this beam could strike somewhere or against someones eyes and you were not able to see it.

I would recommend pointing it in the air instead of such close to the ground level... still isn't safe but at least you have more view of the enviroment then you have now.
    (Do please be carefull when anything related to airplanes passes and at best ask for permission when turning it on and pointing it at the air)...
    But really... why do you have a 20watt laser? what are you going to use this immense power for?
    Also holding a lens with your hands with a 20watts laser (especially by an infant) doesn't sound too safe...

expect to cop a lot of shit for this post , eeek kids holding lens , and swicthing it on WTF!!!!

but do tell more about the laser its self ?
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    I would recommend pointing it in the air instead of such close to the ground level...
    Ah good point, up would be safer, I'll try and find someone to hold a mirror at 45 degrees next time.

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    Ah good point, up would be safer, I'll try and find someone to hold a mirror at 45 degrees next time.
    No thats not good enough.
    First of all do not hold the lens but somehow properly set the lens.
    A hand close to a 20watt laser is not a good thing, especially not children.
    Please for the sake off at least a bit of safety do not hold parts from a 20watt laser when it's active.

I smell troll poo
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Name:	DSC01340.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	28838

Image of the optical deck

Oooh... Laserscope Orion...
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -