View Poll Results: Should PL be converted to have *some* Paid-Members-Only Sections to fund PL / Admin?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! I'd leave PL and never-return if I *had* to pay, even a small-amount of $$ for Info!

0 0%
  • No! None of this talk! Free Everything!! Just gimme a 'Donate button' and leave me alone

10 19.23%
  • I don't *like* the idea of Payed-Membership for 'Full-Access', but, I'd do-it to support PL / Admin

5 9.62%
  • Sure! But, only if there's a 'reasonable minimum', like $1.00 a Mo. / $12. a yr, or less

11 21.15%
  • Yes! I'd not only gladly pay a 'minimum' to help-fund PL, but I'd pay *more* on a mo / yrly basis!

18 34.62%
  • I prefer the idea of having Banner Advertisers or an Advertiser'Corral' But..Death to Spamerrorists!

8 15.38%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Topic for Discussion / Micro-Poll...

I am all for trying to get more flow to The Janitor for all the majic he does behind the screen. I think the easiest and least intrusive is the purdy donate button. Some of us know the Paypal eddress is still open for donations but most do not. I actually think he should be able to make a decent paycheck for just providing the platform...

I do not like the idea of limiting the forum for anyone nor do I like the idea of ads, but... I think that ads from the people/companies donating $100 per month would be acceptable and then you offer monthly subscribers the option to not see the ads.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Don't have a lot of time to answer right now but, for those of us that DO currently pay something (the "bluebolds"), we already have an "area" but, nobody has posted there for months. That element of it doesn't interest me too much anyway, as I think everyone should benefit from the tremendous wealth of knowledge that just reading the threads affords. I personally elected to have a monthly contribution to PL be deducted from my checking account because I want to do my part in helping make sure it stays around. I derive value from it in terms of the education, the social aspect, and, I'm willing to pay for that. It totally blows my mind sometimes that, I'm regularly talking and making connections with people in Greece, Australia, England, the Netherlands etc. And, these little packages that show up in the mail from all over the world. Hell think about it... masterpj is flying from Europe to go to a little gathering in an old church in Texas for two days to have a little bar-b-que with his photons, because of the connections made here. I find myself considering attending a UKLEM someday in the future. And... it's all because of this forum. However, I know not everyone is in that position such as CMB mentioned above. And, I'm o.k. with that too.

However... it was a while before I even knew the possibility of donations existed and, it wasn't until a member mentioned it to me that I gave it a thought. Maybe if it were a little more advertised that, "Hey, if you like this site, please consider making a donation or, set up a recurring small contribution." that would help boost support for our Admin. Let peoples sense of what's right, and their current financial position, dictate when they choose to help out. Sometimes you can't always do that financially. Sometimes you can only provide the wealth of your expertise which is equally important.
    My $.02.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 11-22-2011 at 17:34.

By rude to make a living. I was speaking thinking more along the lines of pay walls and the such that many sites have moved to. To lock up content behind a subscribe style site would suck I would hope the "admin" does this site as a passion. If not I'm on the wrong site. I've had to fork a user group because of another site admin who attempted to sell off the site and the user base and it sucks when that happens. The "admin" should run his or her own web store and hawk good shit to the users. if anything that should be his value in the site. Not locking up any user made content. Just hosting to make a buck???? Ads would cover the costs easy and also give the "admin" an 1800's version of the Royal Navy tot. AKA, few swigs of rum per day.

But Im a new user here I have yet to offer anything in the way that should give me such rights to bitch, Im just a voice. But I will STAND UP and fight Bill Brenner if he attempts to take over here like he has done at ILDA. I have seen the pangolin "security" hologram and heard of the all seeing EYE. I will fight the good fight on that with laser pointers of class 4 if I must.

I agree that Spec should be able to make something from running the forum. The comments about "not coming back to the forum" or the "free exchange of information", are great... where are you going to go? The LaserFreak forum?

Just because you're not getting a tangible, physical item from the forum doesn't mean it's not worth paying something for. I'm sure that there are many users here that have saved untold time and money from the information made available here - what's that worth?. I would agree that the donation option, as was available before, should be brought back.

In light of the time and monies being spent by Spec in support of the forum (and Jon knows this better than any of us), I don't think there's any excuse for there being a "close to the wire month" for Spec. I've said it before - there has never been another time where you could enter this hobby or profession, for less dollars, or less hassle, with regard to where the technology has brought us. I understand some cannot make donations or contribute as they would like... but for those that can support the forum (and especially those that are making money from it), the burden shouldn't fall on Spec and a relatively small group of members to make this happen.

Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

I don't like the idea of donations to access content on PL. First of all, I will not allow auto deductions for any service from any of my accounts. Had a very bad experience last year and I simply will not allow myself to be vulnerable to such an experience again. I don't mind donating, when I think of it. Speaking of which, I don't see the donate tab anymore. The subscription service does already give some advanced features to those that pay. However I do feel that the wealth of knowledge here on PL should remain freely accessible by all.

But I will STAND UP and fight Bill Brenner if he attempts to take over here like he has done at ILDA.
    Oh give me a f'ing break.....

Default My 2 cents

I am absolutely against any sort of advertising. I like reading unbiased reviews of products and making "my own" decisions. As for the knowledge of new products, anyone can post in the buy/sell/trade section. I see enough ads every other second of the day and I like that there are no ads here. If the consensus is the go with ads, what about using the philosophy of apps: contibution=no ads.

As for the issue of a reg fee... I didn't know I wanted to be a part of the community here at PL until I was here for a while(6months). Once I realized what a resource PL is I decided to contribute financially. I think changing the rhetoric of donation to contribution is important as well. I cannot offer any technical knowledge or experience at this point, but I want to feel like I am a part of and contributing financially satisfies that desire for the time being. If the reg fee is mandatory i feel it will change the experience because it will no longer be thought of as a community, but as a product. I am a student and pay all of my own bills as well and manage to set aside $10/month because I am grateful to have this resource available. I am not trying to say that I am better than anyone else, but I want to illustrate that if people want to contribute they will. I don't think we need to limit current material, but rather use creativity to foster willingness to contribute.

I think multi-tiered contribution scale might increase contributions. I could afford more than $10 but not $100. Now if there were special benefits that come with being a contributor (not access to information) it might also increase contributions. I don't have any ideas of what they could be but maybe others can chime in.

DZ sorry you missed the part about the hologram and all seeing eye that would have set off your sarcasm alert.

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    DZ sorry you missed the part about the hologram and all seeing eye that would have set off your sarcasm alert.
    I didn't miss that part, I read it with the rest but didn't see any sarcasm in it. If that was your intent, then I apologize, it is sometimes difficult to read someones intent in such a low bandwidth medium. Regardless, the anti-pangolin rhetoric around PL lately is a big turn off......

Take a poll:
    Paid subscription?
    Or
    Adspace??

At one point or another , this site should make him some money$$, just like any other wesite!
    I vote for selling ad space, so as not to limit memberships,
    A little advertising wont hurt anybody, just look at the LPF forum...

My .02
    Last edited by carlos3621; 11-22-2011 at 16:07.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Default My opinion...

Hi all.

Just thought I'd mention that I wouldn't have joined here if I hadn't been able to look around at the content before hand. If you lock the useful chat behind a 'subscription barrier' will you loose more passing interest such as my own?

How about you let us donate, as and when we feel we can (being self employed, any monthly financial commitment can be a pain come December/January time) as has been mentioned.
    Admin should post up a PayPal donate link maybe?

However, I also like Norty's idea of some sort of deal between the corporate members who pay to advertise and maybe a discount for their services from subscribers?

That would offer a further incentive to us to subscribe without having to hold back any of the good stuff...

Just my thoughts for now... Might have more later
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?