Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanwax ILDA to CAT5 Adaptor

Laser Warning Stanwax ILDA to CAT5 Adaptor

Stanwax ILDA to CAT 5 Adaptor from Stanwax Laser
    http://shop.stanwaxlaser.co.uk/ilda-...ptor-347-p.asp

The Stanwax ILDA to CAT5 Adaptor permits the use of a pair of CAT5 cables to connect your laser controller to your projector and is supplied as 2 modules one for the controller end with a DB25 Male connector and one for the laser projector with a DB25 Female connector. You will therefore require 2 short 25pin ILDA cables to connect the controller & laser to the adaptors.

The adaptors pass the common signals including differential signals for R,G,B,X and Y and also the ILDA interlock and shutter. There is also provision for the start button signal when paired with Stanwax Laser's ILDA interface board.

Stanwax states clearly that this is not a networking device and therefore should not be connected into hubs, switches etc. as it just won't work.

Photos are attached here with the projector end wired up. At each end you need to ensure that the CAT5 connector 1 goes into CAT5 connector1 at the other end and 2 to 2; in the photos I am using differing coloured CAT5 connectors but equally you could just use good old insulating tape to mark each end of one of the cables.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stanwax-CAT5-to-ILDA-1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	273.0 KB 
ID:	28966 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stanwax-CAT5-to-ILDA-2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	28967 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stanwax-CAT5-to-ILDA-3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	28968

The unit is a durable aluminium construction which is great for regular use so shouldn't have any issues with it falling apart when they get the inevitable knocks and bumps during installation or derigging and they are nice and small.

These units are great for me - many of the venues (theatres in particular) I work in have CAT5 data lines installed so I no longer have to run very long DB25 connectors to connect back to quickshow and for 30GBP for a pair you can't go wrong.

The only little thing with the first batch of the units is that the labelling of ports 1 and 2 could be a little better but I believe that is being addressed and later units will be laser etched rather than stamped.

Just a note on the CAT5 cables - best to use patch (stranded) cable instead of install solid core (unless you're leaving them in of course) as they will last much longer.

A great product to keep in your 'laser toolkit'.

Mark.

Thanks Mark!

Just to say that the first batch sold out quickly and Im waiting for some more end panels to be cut so I can offer these full time. I am hoping to have news on these parts today so they should be back avaialbe before the end of the week.

As for the port markings - they should be laser etched but some issues with the machine cutting them has prevented this on the first ones - the second batch should have clearer markings even if these too are not laser etched as intended.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

nice tool... but..

- need i 2 cables for each connection? that's bad...
    - why not add two more CAT5 ports for fast Y connection?

adaptors + 2x cat cables + shipping... it costs more than a standard ilda cable
    Lorenzo from Italy
    www.LF-entertainment.it

Quote Originally Posted by djlorenz View Post
    nice tool... but..adaptors + 2x cat cables + shipping... it costs more than a standard ilda cable
    ...yes, but you will rethink those words when your 'run' is 300'.. err, 90 meters... ie: Good *shielded* DB25 cable is about $10. a meter, best-case... x 90 meters?... Ouch! ...vs, Good, shielded, outdoor-grade Cat5 is about $150. for *90* meters, so even x2... well, I'm sure you can do the math...

Got a pair of these in for a Client, and can-say wholeheartedly Top Shelf Product... I think they're a great bang for a little buck...

..solo miei due centesimi
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Default ilda-cat5 jobbies

Id like to say im very please with my adaptors, I have got 2 sets of el-cheapo cat5s from ebay, £7 each delivered. One red, one blue.

Colied them with a power cable on an old extention drum, now I have 50m cable set for easy set up for under £50. Cant go wrong

I dont suffer any losses over the 50m lenth, very pleased.

I know ther are lots of other people who would aggree.

Keep up the good work Rob.

Tony.
    Squat that bug,

One day I'll finish my build.
    https://www.facebook.com/Azteclasers?fref=ts

yes you are right!
    i was thinking about a 20mt cable... that is the max length here around... i've already have a ethernet ilda dac, so i don't need to send ilda to very long distance
    it will be nice if you add other two ethernet connections, it will simplify the Y connection with more lasers

i think you use 2x cat5 cables becouse you need more wires inside... what about if i want to send only green signal? is one cat5 enought?
    Lorenzo from Italy
    www.LF-entertainment.it

one cat 5 is 4 pairs, so there is enough room for single colour
    in any case, when using just a single colour, i suggest you use the intensity pair (ilda pin 3 + and pin 16 -)
    this way, you will project the whole frame and not just the green parts of it

so, x+x-, y+y-. i+i- and you have one extra pair for interlock or shutter or anything else (this is the case with differential signals)

maybe with single ended signals and a common ground one could pass x+, y+, r+, g+, b+, interlock, shutter and ground with a single cable? or am i missing something here?
    "its called character briggs..."

These adaptors will not work with a single cable if you are using (as you should) the ILDA interlock. One interlock is implemented in each CAT5 meaning the projector will shut down if one CAT5 is unplugged.
    I have 2 clubs I work in regularly and dont want to leave ILDA leads in place or have to remove them every time I do a gig - so I have run CAT5 into these venues. Its cheap and means I can get running in either venue very quickly without loosing my stock of ILDA leads. In fact in one of the venues I leave a pair of adaptors too.
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

This little puppy just saved my life. I had a gig out in the middle of nowhere where the projector needed to be 400 feet from the control console. The middle of nowhere didn't sell DB25 but it did have a Home Depot which sells CAT5. I use CAT5 for my manual kill switch too so I had much of what I needed already. I had never even tested the Stanwax adaptor but happened to have it with me.

Thank you Rob!
    Last edited by blowfly; 08-15-2012 at 20:43. Reason: typos

And where to leave all the cat5 cables?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foto.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	34325