Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing new flexmod p3...help plz

Default Installing new flexmod p3...help plz

Copying a post from a other topic here, because more people will then see it...id like to resolve this fast because im already tinkering with it all day and my parents would like my workspace to be cleared fast(wich is the main dinner table lol)
    ----------------------------------
    Okay right now im doing the installation of everything and the 445nm is real "wide" now, as a dot. Its like 3x35mm or something on about one and a half meter. Is that because ive done something wrong with the prisms, or is it the lens(g-1) or...? (EDIT: resolved by messing with the lens)
    Also its kinda bright in standby and turning the bias down wont resolve it.
    And finally its blinking sometimes in a steady way. like bleep....bleep....bleep...(about 3-7 times i didnt count) not with different seconds between the blips)
    I have a flexmod p3 as driver.
    Thats what i need resolved, hopefully you guys can help me...

Edit: just tried it on the galvos and seems there is no blanking...how can i fix this?
    Edit2: maybe its the standby current thats making me think there's no blanking...i have the feeling its that.
    edit3: here's a video showing it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quSEE6p0-5c
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

Looks like standby current to me. I you turn the projector on without the software running do you get a blue beam, if so you need to reduce the standby current.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

agreed. meter your bias current. if memory serves, those 445 diodes hit threshold at ~150-200mA, but you can turn the bias down to 0 for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Solonar View Post
    Looks like standby current to me. I you turn the projector on without the software running do you get a blue beam, if so you need to reduce the standby current.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

If the bias is 0 and gain is alot more, it should put almost nothing out on standby and at least a bit when it runs?
    Or do i understand the driver wrongly?

that is correct. if you have the bias set completely to zero, you might not get anything out of the diode until you apply a modulation signal.

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    If the bias is 0 and gain is alot more, it should put almost nothing out on standby and at least a bit when it runs?
    Or do i understand the driver wrongly?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    that is correct. if you have the bias set completely to zero, you might not get anything out of the diode until you apply a modulation signal.
    Okay but i already have a modulation signal applied...
    But its strange because i keep screwing the bias down and the intensity doesnt get lower until a point- wich is quite bright. Alot brighter then my last(now broken) flexmod p3 was.

don't adjust the bias current with the modulation signal applied.

remove the modulation signal and short the modulation input. see the flexmod documentation for the proper procedure.

Okay but i already have a modulation signal applied...
    But its strange because i keep screwing the bias down and the intensity doesnt get lower until a point- wich is quite bright. Alot brighter then my last(now broken) flexmod p3 was.

Short the modulation input what is that? I mean if i think what it means, its cutting the wires a bit so its not a long way from the ilda board to the flexmod?
    Edit: by the way it doesnt say how much mA i should set. It can start with 50mA to 150mA. I screwed it down so that the dot is as good as invisible. It now reads 12,85mA wich is not 100% steady.
    Last edited by borgqueenx; 12-02-2011 at 11:16.

read this:

http://hacylon.case.edu/laser/FlexMo...dP3_Manual.pdf

Short the modulation input what is that? I mean if i think what it means, its cutting the wires a bit so its not a long way from the ilda board to the flexmod?

I did, i editted my post above yours...appriciate the help mate