Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Riya DAC Small Review

Default Riya DAC Small Review

The following text in quote is old. the problem with the cable has been adressed. read edit 3.
    Here's a small review of the riya lite DAC.
    First giving the positives then the bad side.(not with an S)

Well the DAC is mega small! wich i ultra like about this dac...its so small that its only a cable and the end is a small box but still it looks like just a single cable. you just connect it to the PC, and from PC to laser projector ilda. Nothing between wich is really nice. it gets power from USB so no power adapter needed as well.

Also, i dont know much about stuff a dac can do since this is my first, but when it runs, it does everything i want. i more have the idea this is just a cable, like in a usb cable to transfer data. Because the software LSX i use(wich is great stuff as well) runs everything fine through this dac, so i wouldnt need another dac....or would i?

I didnt put that word "when" in bold text for no reason...

There is one con on this dac, wich makes me want to throw it in the garbage can sometimes.
    And im already starting to look for alternatives, wich let me still use LSX, and are usb powered.

The simple reason is that this DAC connects barely to my notebook. When starting my laser projector i usally have to plug in the dac 3 to 8 times or something before windows regonises the dac and starts to work. Touching the cable will ~90% of the cases makes windows dont reconise the dac anymore, wich sucks alot.

Therefore id say the usb connector of the riya lite is crap. Maybe some of you guys wont have this problem, then good times. But i cant recommend this to anyone. i have a external USB hub and 4 ports on my notebook itself, and have 5 devics plugged in always and use 4 for sometimes plugging in, and never got any problem with reconisation.
    The riya lite is the only device that does this. i also did a reinstall about 2 weeks ago and still had desame problems.
    So, i think its ruled out that its me who is causing this problem.

Oh, and when the riya lite is not regonised anymore while in use, the laser projector hangs on its current image. Wich is great(not).

I also send a old unit back and got a new one...Wich maybe solved a little bit. i have the feeling that i used to replug the old riya lite minimal 15 times instead of minimal 3 before it would work.

So there's my review of this little unit.
    my final verdict: Get it. But beware, read edit 3.

EDIT2: Okay problem has been found. the USB cable of the riya lites are very fragile and thats whats causing disconnections and not regonisions by windows.
    I can now recommend you this dac again, if you know how to replace the usb cable(means you can solder ect), or if you can be sure youre purchasing a improved version since riya wont go for these usb cables anymore, clearly.
    Riya has been very helpful with me to get my problem solved, and it is very soon.

Thanks.

EDIT3:
    Ihor from Riya lasers adressed the issue. the next riya lite batches will all include a better usb cable.
    Please make sure you buy from a newer batch and not from a old one, and i can surely recommend this cable/dac again

Again:
    I do not longer contribute to this forum. i only hang around to send or answer PM's, and to watch for dutchlems.
    This edit has been made purely for the respect i have for RIYA lasers.
    Last edited by borgqueenx; 02-09-2012 at 05:28.
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

This is not a bad review borg
    A honest review is the best.
    if riya lasers read this then they might consider checking whats wrong with the usb connector.
    Perhaps they can clarify your problem or maybe your the only riya lite owner having this problem.

Best regards,

Pieter

Riya and me already established that it was the usb connector. Drlava send me a new one and even tested it at his home, he said. Maybe postage damaged it, but that makes again clear that its to damn fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    Riya and me already established that it was the usb connector. Drlava send me a new one and even tested it at his home, he said. Maybe postage damaged it, but that makes again clear that its to damn fragile.
    *Hint* add it to the topic because some people might only read your first post and get the wrong idea, maybe change ur conclusion if this was the reason to stay away ^^ just saying

good idea. 15char.

well, i own a riya lite and i have to say i also love the small size, easy of connectibility, no power connectors etc

i have experienced some issues like the ones you describe, but it was not nearly as bad for me, so i never gave it much thought (and i never asked for it to be replaced or anything). it is only until now that i read your review that i can connect the facts and see that there might be a problem there.

sometimes it caused my laptop to freeze and the projection to stop at one frame (never a static beam). at that point, if i unplug the riya, the laptop is running ok again. still, this is not happening frequently, so i am not giving it much thought

i wouldn't base a paid show on this one anyway, it still is great for a test unit, portable pj, small gigs at home and for friends. all in all, i am happy with it
    "its called character briggs..."

Well it never got my pc freezed up, but it caused indeed that the frame hangs. Plugging the riya out makes the projection stop. I just hate when starting to play something on my projector that it always says Tu-Duung(windows sound).........the driver is not installed-unknown hardware...(plug out and in) tududuung(error sound of usb i think) plug in and out random 5 more times, tuduung......no message, wich means it works till i touch it or sometimes after a period of time.
    In our times of pc users, we want to plug something in, and let it work. Not mess around and replug some times and be lucky.

Have you tried with a powered usb hub?

Or not using your hub at all and going straight into the usb port?
    chad.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Yes and yes. 15char.

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    Not mess around and replug some times and be lucky.
    despite what the marketing guys call it, this technology is called "plug and pray"
    "its called character briggs..."