Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PT30 help!!!!!!

Default PT30 help!!!!!!

OK after installing the new pt30's I have noticed a problem right off. The prior 12k galvos and amp only used the (+) and the OV post. but my pt30's have a (+) (-) and OV post. When I use the cables that fit the cloner dmx board, only two wires are being used.

1. Do I need all three wires for the pt30 to work?
    2. Can I just use the (+) and (-) posts instead and omit the OV post?

(OV)= as labled on the PDF blowup with no explination as to it's significance.

Currently when I hook it all up for benching, all I get is static scribbles. w/no control over the scanners.

Thanks!

I am sorry to threadjack but since we are on the subject. I had a set of PT-30ks that i bought 4 months ago. Something happened and the scanners failed so I ordered another set from the group buy. My original set also came with the PT-ITrust DMX Show card. Well everything failed so I removed it all and installed the new set of scanners but with no DMX board. I wired up the XY RGB wires all up the the ILDA cable directly(also omitting the 0v ground wires from the driver amps since the DB-25 e doesn't call for it), I shorted the interlock pins and fired it up. Right off the bat things look different than with my last setup. First of all, in quickshow with the scan area at maximum, I used to get a good ilda test pattern at 24k. Right now the pattern doesn't look good unless im at 14k. Even at that speed the circle in the middle is oval shaped like the image posted below. With the test pattern with all the different colored circles, all circles are oval shaped. Also have some tails at the end of some patterns and some of the circles dont complete. What could be the cause, did they ship cheaper galvos with the group buy?

...Now when I snipped the wires from the galvo amps. the 0v wire is actually a sheilding. Could I be experiencing some sheilding issues with my galvo amp wires or does it seem like a grounding problem? Should I short the 0v wires that sheild the galvo amp wires to the db-25 case screw or pin #25?

I spoke with spacelas and I am going to be shipping my messed up galvos back to china as they are only 4 months old. They seem to think i got some humidity problems which is strange because the projector hasnt been outside yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ildatest.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	29236

Quote Originally Posted by nuphotonix View Post
    OK after installing the new pt30's I have noticed a problem right off. The prior 12k galvos and amp only used the (+) and the OV post. but my pt30's have a (+) (-) and OV post. When I use the cables that fit the cloner dmx board, only two wires are being used.

Currently when I hook it all up for benching, all I get is static scribbles. w/no control over the scanners.

Thanks!
    I can confirm that the 0v post is a ground wire. the wire actually sheilds the + and - wires from interference which is probably where I am having my problem. I'm sure someone will chime in soon that actually knows. I'm thinking you have to ground out those 0v pins for it to work properly but IDK for sure. Maybe try grounding out those 0v wires on the DMX board somewhere.
    Last edited by whatsupadrian; 12-12-2011 at 07:30.

That looks more like a tuning problem than a shielding problem to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xytrell View Post
    That looks more like a tuning problem than a shielding problem to me.
    I can go with that. The both sets of scanners have been left on factory settings. My original scanners seemed to perform much better so I can see how tuning would solve that but they came from the factory like this. The PT-30 manual says nothing about how to tune the galvos. Is there a galvo amp tuning guide anywhere. I tried the search function.

Not sure what my scan angle is, using 50% x 50% on QS. This is what my circles are looking like, oval shaped. dont really get round till i turn the scan rate down to like 14-15k, this is 30k i thinkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2275.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	4.61 MB 
ID:	29243

15kClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2282.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	4.67 MB 
ID:	29244

20kClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2283.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	4.63 MB 
ID:	29245

25kClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2284.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	4.53 MB 
ID:	29246

30kClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2285.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	29247

My other set of PT-30's was giving me round circles, they didn't complete and meet in the correct place till about 24k but it was round.

thanks for HIJACKING my post.. i repost it agan..

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Does "0V" mean ground?

Quote Originally Posted by nuphotonix View Post

Thanks!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupadrian View Post
    Is there a galvo amp tuning guide anywhere.
    http://lasershowparts.com/files/Arti...20Tutorial.pdf

It is a lot of work, and you can potentially ruin the scanners. You might want to consider sending them to someone who has more experience.

Right, anyone in So Cal with tuning experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Xytrell View Post
    http://lasershowparts.com/files/Arti...20Tutorial.pdf

It is a lot of work, and you can potentially ruin the scanners. You might want to consider sending them to someone who has more experience.
    don't get intimidated, it is a really well written guide. if you follow through you'll be fine

by the way, a big thanks to buffo for writting this
    "its called character briggs..."