Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 510nm laser diodes within hobbiest hands

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    If it keeps going like this, diode projectors will have as many lines as a gas whitelight; 405, 445, 510, 532, 635, 642, 658-660 , not to mention the 488 and yellow diodes that are out there now, just terribly expensive and low-power at the moment.
    Yellow?? Do you have a link? I would love to read about it.

Oops-- must have been a dpss. I cant find it now . Musta dreamed it - sorry .. bad info.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    taken from LPF

Though I'll mention that their cost was not nearly in the range of what sample diodes like the exotic 488 and 473s cost. Think of this sort of like those 445s that started popping up a year or so before the KasEO diodes

not having a dig just caught my eye. casio diodes were lik £40-50 each
    they were £40/50 when it was found where they were coming from kasio but they were a few hundred $$ a few weeks earlier on ebay,
    i think that what he ment
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

I'll add that I have an order of 200 pcs of 12mm compatible modules for 3.8s diodes arriving in early January. I don't think I'm setup to do individual sales, but hopefully there will be a way I can help get some 3.8mm modules out into the community.
    Last edited by rhd; 12-17-2011 at 19:38.

FYI - I recently came across a new blog by Karl Guttag that I found most interesting and timely in lieu of the major interest in seeming advances toward commercialization of direct green laser diode technology and I wanted to share these links and information listed below:

Diode Green Lasers (Part 1, Wavelength and Efficiency)
    In the next article in this series on diode green lasers, I’m going to discuss the color space problems with 510nm green (namely it can’t be used to get a good bright yellow). For those who know about color spaces or can figure it out just from a diagram, I have included below a CIE chart with the color space triangles for 510nm, 525nm, and 532nm green holding blue at 455nm and red at 640nm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Color-Space-Diagram.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	29576

About Karl Guttag
    Karl Guttag has over 34 years of experience in integrated circuit architecture related to Graphics and Image Processors Digital Signal Processing (DSP), and memory architecture. For the last 12 years he has worked on integrated circuit backplanes for Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCOS) displays. Over the last 34 years he has identified new market opportunities and integrated circuit architectures to serve those markets.

He is named inventor on over 142 issued U.S. Patents including key patents related graphics and imaging processors, graphics interface circuits, microprocessors, signal processing (DSP), Synchronous DRAMs, and Video Rams. Billions of dollars of yearly revenue have been attributed to products using these inventions. Mr. Guttag is the youngest person elected to The Fellow of Texas Instruments; he is a named inventor or co-inventor on over 142 US Patents.

So from the colour space with 510nm the yellows suffer whilst you gain more on the deeper green side.

I would have thought that if yellow diodes ever become cheap the pallette could be great but i have to wonder how good it will be with just 3 colours given that you're losing the top end of yellow and possibly red from the looks of the diagram. Looks like 510 could reduce luminance significantly over a 532 system.

Sorry, but isn't this why the aim of diode development is already set for ~525?

Its made me wonder why 532 isn't apparently working out. Is the color space really so perfectly filled with a green shift of 6-10nm?

That's the point, 532 would be great, they just can't make it (yet).
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Thanks to madmacmo for inviting me here. I'm Karl Guttag from www.kguttag.com

I'm coming from a CMOS I.C. designers perspective rather than laser physics person and have been working for the last 13 years in LCOS displays/projectors. I have pick up some things about lasers along the way. I firmly believe that lasers are going to be in all projectors in the future from the smallest pico projectors to the largest movie theater projectors.

I think there is some confusion above between frequency doubled or diode pumped solid state (DPSS) lasers and direct diode lasers. Today it is relatively easy to make DPSS green lasers with 532nm, but it still is proving very difficult to make direct diode lasers at greater than 510nm (and it is still pretty hard to make even 510nm lasers). It goes back to the physics of the crystals and what it takes to tweak them to get the longer wavelengths. In the long run, direct diode lasers are expected to be the most promising for building small low cost consumer projectors. Direct diode lasers also have a wider bandwidth (on the order of 2nm for the direct diode green lasers under development) which reduces speckle which is very desirable in projector applications.

You are welcome to come to my blog and post questions and I will see if I can answer them. I would also be happen to come here and answer questions if you point me to them.

Karl

Hello Karl and welcome to PL ! ;]
    Last edited by steve-o; 12-28-2011 at 08:07. Reason: being a smart-arse