Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Laser Show DAC (USB)

SaltyRobot -> gee whiz... i never got the notification for your question. I apologize it has been like 3 years and some small change. The PC side drivers use the FTDI D2XX library to open the FTDI USB to Serial converter by description. Just match the description that the original Arduino's had "FT232R USB UART". You may be able to get away with a Hex editor and modify the string in the OLSD DLL however if you have a description you want used I can recompile the DLL for you or you can do it yourself using the OLSC_VS2005_OLSD_3_2 project that can be opened and compiled with Visual Studio 2005 to the current version (VC++). You should be able to use the C++ express versions and the new VS 2015 Community edition should be able to open the project and compile it too.

djatis ... not sure what you mean by defiance? Maybe difference? Not sure about Fiesta2 resenting the drivers either. I don't think the Fiesta software works with any other DACs than their own DAC. Sorry if I cannot understand the version of english you are using... maybe you could try posting in your native language as descriptively as you can and then we can go from there.

No worries. Are you going to SELEM this year? Maybe I can bring the board that has the NANO and you can show me what you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    djatis ... not sure what you mean by defiance? Maybe difference? Not sure about Fiesta2 resenting the drivers either. I don't think the Fiesta software works with any other DACs than their own DAC. Sorry if I cannot understand the version of english you are using... maybe you could try posting in your native language as descriptively as you can and then we can go from there.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Unfortunately I am not going to SELEM this year. I wish I was but I have a wedding to go to and all my vacation time is used up.

Man... I thought I had already subscribed... I subscribed again just in case.

So for the FTDI chip device description I have attached a picture/screen shot of the OLSD Test program with the laser_output.cpp file open and the location of the description string highlighted in ketchup and mustard lines. Also I have a utility from FTDI chip called FT Prog open and the description highlighted as well as Window's device manager open with the description showing as well for the USB to Serial device for a Arduino board that I have plugged into my computer.

You can download the FT Prog program here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm#FT_PROG
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OLSD_FTDI_USB_To_Serial_Description.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	50206
    It will allow you to change the description of the FTDI chip device and save it to the chip's onboard EEPROM. You could also just read the description on your Arduino and change the code. Or you can send me the description and I can make you a new set of binaries... or maybe I should put the description in an INI file?

The description it is looking for to open the device is "FT232R USB UART".

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    No worries. Are you going to SELEM this year? Maybe I can bring the board that has the NANO and you can show me what you are talking about?

This is really helpful. Thank you. Yeah the whole issue is the fact that I am using a Arduino NANO and it has a different description. This will help me change it on one side or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    Unfortunately I am not going to SELEM this year. I wish I was but I have a wedding to go to and all my vacation time is used up.

Man... I thought I had already subscribed... I subscribed again just in case.

So for the FTDI chip device description I have attached a picture/screen shot of the OLSD Test program with the laser_output.cpp file open and the location of the description string highlighted in ketchup and mustard lines. Also I have a utility from FTDI chip called FT Prog open and the description highlighted as well as Window's device manager open with the description showing as well for the USB to Serial device for a Arduino board that I have plugged into my computer.

You can download the FT Prog program here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm#FT_PROG
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OLSD_FTDI_USB_To_Serial_Description.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	50206
    It will allow you to change the description of the FTDI chip device and save it to the chip's onboard EEPROM. You could also just read the description on your Arduino and change the code. Or you can send me the description and I can make you a new set of binaries... or maybe I should put the description in an INI file?

The description it is looking for to open the device is "FT232R USB UART".
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Hey I am really sorry it took so long to communicate this. I think the subscriptions are working now. I'll PM you my email address if you have any questions about it so you get a faster response in case I goof up my subscription somehow again.

So it's been a few years since this project got any attention.

At SELEM this year I was talking to Dan Barlow about creating a pocket sized Ardunino based device just to throw up test patterns without the need for a computer, software, IDLA cable, or a DAC. Just something to plug into the back of a projector with a few buttons to select patterns and/or color levels, etc.

A more advanced version could even play .wav based shows from an SD card.

But after reading through this thread, building and coding such a device is way beyond my skill level.

With advances in the Arduino ecosystem, as well as platforms like Feather, can the V4 board be simplified or eliminated?

If starting from scratch today, how would you create such a device?

thanks.

... I'll opt for an RaspBerry Zero

Viktor

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... I'll opt for an RaspBerry Zero
    Sure, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    So it's been a few years since this project got any attention.

At SELEM this year I was talking to Dan Barlow about creating a pocket sized Ardunino based device just to throw up test patterns without the need for a computer, software, IDLA cable, or a DAC. Just something to plug into the back of a projector with a few buttons to select patterns and/or color levels, etc.

A more advanced version could even play .wav based shows from an SD card.

But after reading through this thread, building and coding such a device is way beyond my skill level.

With advances in the Arduino ecosystem, as well as platforms like Feather, can the V4 board be simplified or eliminated?

If starting from scratch today, how would you create such a device?

thanks.
    That is a great idea. I thought of the same thing a while back. Well... I would probably make it TTL color and use an ARM chip with 2 x 12 bit DACs built in. That would simplify the circuit a bit. You would still need a a quad opamp, DC to DC converter, and some passives... plus a battery and maybe charging circuit. Did you want a device like this? What would be your target price you would pay for such a device? Which test patterns would you use?

On another note the OLSD firmware has test patterns built in. It has ILDA Test Pattern, Laser Media Test Pattern, Square Wave, a custom Test Pattern I made for tuning. It displays them in Color and Monochrome and at 12kpps and 30kpps. The button on the OLSD board cycles through them. It can be run without a computer ... just add a battery.