Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Laser Show DAC (USB)

Ok. Good call Steve.

If you are using OLSD V3 then you need to run a jumper wire on the Arduino board from digital Pin 8 to the CTS pin for the FT232RL chip. Usually the chinese Arduino clones have a pin labeled CTS on a 4 pin header. Here is a quote from my web site that explains it:

"In order for the software/hardware to work properly a jumper wire needs to be added between the CTS pin on the Arduino/FTDI chip and digital pin 8. This is used to control the stream of serial data being sent to the Arduino. Some boards make this easy and include a pad for the CTS pin (Arduino and Seeduino brands). The Freeduino will work however it does not break out a pad for the CTS pin (this makes it a bit more difficult to modify)."

This is probably why it appears that the hardware is hanging up. The firmware uses this for flow control. If it isn't hooked up then there is no flow.

V4 OLSD firmware uses digital pin 7 instead of pin 8.

If you are interested in a empty board (and don't mind a bit of surface mount) PM me with your mailing address and I will send you one.

Thanks guys!
    Of course, I read about feedback via pin #8, but could not thought that this is a critical impact on the result. it's almost a shame to me , this modification works flawlessly via OLSDtest.
    The next step for me - to link OLSD and LDS, stay tuned
    If you are interested in a empty board...
    cfavreau, thanks very much, but I have already ordered a v4 board, and I'll be happy to share an excess with friends from PL
    Last edited by Bbe; 06-18-2012 at 12:53.

Let me know if you need help getting those 2 up and running. That is the DAC I currently use with Laser Show Express which is related to LDS. Can LDS load MLD drivers?

Can LDS load MLD drivers?
    I'm not 100% sure of this, but I found in a program folder some other .mld files. But while the result is negative - the program does not see the DAC.
    I also noticed this:
    In the v3 firmware, when the laser is active shutter signal = 1, in the v4 firmware, conversely, when the laser is active shutter signal = 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bbe View Post
    I'm not 100% sure of this, but I found in a program folder some other .mld files. But while the result is negative - the program does not see the DAC.
    I also noticed this:
    In the v3 firmware, when the laser is active shutter signal = 1, in the v4 firmware, conversely, when the laser is active shutter signal = 0
    Ok. I will take a look at it. I do not remember what it should be. What should the shutter signal be at when the laser is active?

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    What should the shutter signal be at when the laser is active?
    Pangolin DAC has shutter=1 when the laser is ON. I think, this can be trusted...

Hi,

I have recently built the V3 OSLD with a view to using it with Dr Lava's excellent LASERCAM. The surface mount soldering is a little tricky to start with but becomes easier very quickly. I found a lot of helpful info with a bit of searching. I now have it working along with LASERCAM and am looking forward to trying it with LSX. I've put a few pix in the gallery. Major thanks to Chris Favreau and friends for putting this design together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0785.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	433.9 KB 
ID:	33746

OSLD displaying ILDA test pattern/LM test

Cheers M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0788.JPG  

Excellent! Thanks for the pictures.

does anybody by any chance have a V4 board he could part with?

http://www.fab-favreau.com/index.php/Main/OLSDRev4

please send me a PM, cfavreau is out of V4 boards and i'd like to try something with one of them.
    thanks!
    "its called character briggs..."

Default OLSD V4 Arduino Shield Prototype

Hi I saw your post @ Photonlexicon I am currently trying to build a USB DAC / audio correction AMP with a Laserboy correction AMP build and a Cmedia external sound card.

I had originally fell in rapture with the idea of using a Arduino. Which you have evolved and have been working on. Originally I was going to try another individual's Arduino design but it was only for 2 lasers. And by all means not easy for me to grasp at the time. Due to the lack of appropiate information. But now I have more skills and have started to venture into the world of Arduino for environmental monitoring and control.
    So for now I am in a current build with the correction AMP/SC USB interface. I am tinkering with HE laser software for now.
    Does your design do away with the external sound card? I would like to try and build your design for two additional scanners. Another thing I saw is someone controlling stepper motors with a Romeo V2 with faster response and a higher torque rate I believe?
    Would it be feasible to use these as drive cards for galvos? What sorts of voltage signals would come off the OLSD to the galvos?

Otherwise can I please buy 2 OLSD V4 Shield boards from you? It would really
    make my next build interesting and help me along to develop my skills.

Kristall