Thread: Three transmission holograms (video)

Default Three transmission holograms (video)

I'm addicted to making these holograms now! It's not difficult.

Here's a picture of my hologram exposure area:

Everything rests on a board with bubblewrap under it. I've propped my brick laser pointer on the pot and the uncollimated output illuminates the hologram microcosm. For these transmission holograms the objects being holo'd rest in front of the hologram glass emulsion. Once the film is exposed one shines an unfocused laser at the film to recreate the object. That's it.

The third video below is the hologram created as seen in above picture. There's 7 inches of depth.

Hologram development chemicals:

Hologram film:

Less than $50.00 is all that's required to purchase film and developer. (integraf.com)

videos -

glass paperweight:

(two more videos

magnetic sculpture:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnOaPqsE1Dw

glass trinkets: (hologram corresponds to scene in first image above)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxf5Rq1xZjQ

These videos do not convey the beauty of the actual hologram!
    Last edited by FloggedSynapse; 01-26-2012 at 16:09.

Quote Originally Posted by FloggedSynapse View Post
    I'm addicted to making these holograms now!
    And thus it begins... Welcome to the addicts club

It's not difficult
    Nobody ever said it was , but the problem with holography is that you always want more, you always strive for the perfect hologram. Holographers are their own worse critics as i'm sure you'll find out as you progress.

These videos do not convey the beauty of the actual hologram!
    Sadly, video's never do, but at least it givs us an idea of what you're doing and is definately better than a still photograph. It still looks as though you've got some horizontal banding, did you 'paint' the edge of the plates before exposure as I suggested?

Anyway, that's awsome work, keep it up

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Thank you for the compliments!

I did not blacken the top of the glass. Seemed one more thing to be bothered with while in the dark, and I was a little worried the marker chemicals would affect the development.

I'm not certain what is causing the banding, though the effect is not entirely undesirable.. at least in the videos it gives the holograms a 'TV' look. It may be my apparatus is constraining the vibrations such, how the film is produced, or total internal reflection (as you suggested)

Next time I will blacken the top of the glass and see if that reduces banding. Living in a high-hrise - very difficult to attain a vibration free area.
    Last edited by FloggedSynapse; 01-27-2012 at 05:41.

Excellent!!! The importance of vibration damping is waaaaay overrated. You probably don't need the bubblewrap under your base. The lines seen in the video might just be caused by light hitting the edge of the plate during reconstruction. Cover the edge and see how it looks. Again, great work.