Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hey Spec, A Request

Well i do like the idea of giving helpful members who share their ideas a note on their name but rep systems or awards can get out of hand.

Steve's request was for an avatar for people with variances or who have helped put on a legal laser show. And I am saying that there are plenty of folks on here that DON'T have variances who deserve recognition a lot more for what they have done on here. Most of those people you mentioned would not qualify for the avatar he had in mind. So, again, your point is invalid. Pay attention.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Steve's request was for an avatar for people with variances or who have helped put on a legal laser show. And I am saying that there are plenty of folks on here that DON'T have variances who deserve recognition a lot more for what they have done on here. Most of those people you mentioned would not qualify for the avatar he had in mind. So, again, your point is invalid. Pay attention.
    Gary, I don't want to get caught in this fray but, I will chime in briefly, both in defense of Jon as well as Steve. Actually, the people he mentioned are a mixed bag. Some are in other countries that don't require a variance (Rob and Andy come to mind) and the ones he mentioned in the US I'm certain have something in their background that would fit the spirit of Steve's proposal. In addition, Steve's original post addressed the fact that a provision would be made for those who aren't in countries that require a variance or it's equivalent but, have attained a certain level of professionalism. He even addresses lab/holo guys as well. So, perhaps some attention needs to be redirected on your part too.

I think the intent here is some small symbol that demonstrates that you have attained some level of professionalism and sets you apart from the novice, weekend dj, casual reader or basement experimenter. You have developed and sell a piece of laser software that some regard highly. Heck, I own a couple of copies. That to me, is an accomplishment which also elevates you to a level of professionalism over the novice, weekend dj,.... More so that what I have done thus far to "qualify", which is write a check to ILDA. I have no familiarity with anything else in your laser background. I'm still learning. I have a long way to go. I've filed for a variance. I WILL do safe, professional shows. The more of them under my belt, the more I might just want a little something under my avatar. Oh wait.... first, I think, I need an avatar to begin with! (Jon..? Where's that logo!?! I think I found another use!)
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 01-29-2012 at 20:12.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by kiyoukan View Post
    ..... rep systems or awards can get out of hand.
    You mean even at the Pre-inception stage (like this)?
    Last edited by soforene; 01-30-2012 at 00:27. Reason: Cus I'm Speshul !!

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    You mean even at the Pre-inception stage (like this)?
    That dear sir deserves a burst.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Permission to kipe your Quote / make a T-shirt, Sir? ..Yes, I'll 'send ya one' if I do... "Engineer" On-it, doesn't always mean Engineer IN-it.. LOVE-it!

j
    Please do, I'll order a dozen for the flock I'm babysiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Gary, I don't want to get caught in this fray but, I will chime in briefly, both in defense of Jon as well as Steve. Actually, the people he mentioned are a mixed bag. Some are in other countries that don't require a variance (Rob and Andy come to mind) and the ones he mentioned in the US I'm certain have something in their background that would fit the spirit of Steve's proposal. In addition, Steve's original post addressed the fact that a provision would be made for those who aren't in countries that require a variance or it's equivalent but, have attained a certain level of professionalism. He even addresses lab/holo guys as well. So, perhaps some attention needs to be redirected on your part too.

I think the intent here is some small symbol that demonstrates that you have attained some level of professionalism and sets you apart from the novice, weekend dj, casual reader or basement experimenter. You have developed and sell a piece of laser software that some regard highly. Heck, I own a couple of copies. That to me, is an accomplishment which also elevates you to a level of professionalism over the novice, weekend dj,.... More so that what I have done thus far to "qualify", which is write a check to ILDA. I have no familiarity with anything else in your laser background. I'm still learning. I have a long way to go. I've filed for a variance. I WILL do safe, professional shows. The more of them under my belt, the more I might just want a little something under my avatar. Oh wait.... first, I think, I need an avatar to begin with! (Jon..? Where's that logo!?! I think I found another use!)
    I understand the spirit of what Steve was asking for. I'm not opposed to it because I don't think there is any REAL harm in it. But, at the same time, I don't see any point in it, and I think it might end up hurting some feelings. (WAH WAH) Anyone displaying such an avatar is not going to be treated as elite or get a bonus in their paycheck. It might make those people FEEL a little more elite than those who don't have them and it might make those who don't have them feel somewhat inferior to those who have them but what good will come of that? Best case is that people will see your badges and target you out as the ones to ask questions. It has already been illustrated that some of these "pros" have very little patience for questions from newbies since their responses are often in the spirit of "RTFM". It might result in someone getting a job lead but the chances of that are probably around 0.1%. People seriously looking to employ laserists are not going to sign up for a free forum such as this with all of the BS that goes along with it to post a job opening. There will be people who are looking for hobbyist and people not so serious about their work since they often work for peanuts. See the festival thread for example and at the same time look how the OP was treated by those "pros". I guess what I don't really like about it is that Steve is basically stating that he knows more than most people on here so he and others should be recognized for it in every post that he/they make. That's basically what it really boils down to. He could easily create an avatar that says whatever he wants that would do essentially the same thing. But, he wants Spec to do it so that other people can't also gloat about their achievements unless they fit the rules that he has defined.

I am open to someone explaining to me what good will come out of that and why it is needed or even desired here.

Point very well taken. Nor am I in disagreement with it. Yes, it could very well cause some problems... and Steve did admit to it being somewhat elitist and "ego stroking". And fortunately, we have this forum in the first place to debate the pros and cons. My guess will be that it will never come to fruition in it's originally proposed form but, maybe after healthy discussion, a palatable idea will arise. We have the bolder blue typeface for those of us that contribute monetarily which, in a sense, sets some members apart and, I don't know for certain, but I'm sure there is some thread buried here where the origins of that were debated and discussed.

Oh, and thanks for the avatar logo Jon! That's been on my to do list for about 8 months...

Well Steve’s proposal would help me in one way. It would make it easier to distinguish if I’m being dazzled with brilliance or just being baffled with bullshit.