Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Spec, A Request

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Hey Spec, A Request

One of the other forums I read is for Naval Aviation types... Why? Its a better read then Tom Clancy ever was.

Under their avatars, if they have earned flight wings, they get the correct wing for their service.

I want a logo for professionalism under my avatar.

Simples, if you have a variance or the national equalvalent in your nation, you get a "laserburst". If you can document you have crewed on a legal paid show, you get a laserburst. If you worked as a laserist long ago and were working for a varianced company, you get a laserburst(retired). Citerion: That little 1V number on the paperwork or letterhead, or national equvalent, or stationary from a incorporated company, or a ILDA/Brewster Award, or equalvalent stagecraft / Engineering experince (lest we forget our lighting brethern) Note, variance/national equavalent need not be current.

If your country has no variance/permit, we'll work something out. We have two or three people here who are pre variance, you know you'll get it, too.

Since I forgot the lab/Holo guys, IF you got paid to work on a laser in a commercial environment, or its part of your masters/doctoral degree work, you get a burst. However, if its just 15 minutes in the lab in high school or Physics II, no.

PS, if you possess a successful FAA/CAA letter of no objection, we give you a "Platinum" burst! for patience.

Why its Elitism, Yes!. Pseudo Espirt de Corps, yes!

Why? I earned it! Get over it, with work, you can earn it too.

Might want to put up a tag for ELA (if it still exists) or ILDA membership, too.

Let the screaming by "junior" forum members begin.

BTDTGTS.

Sorry hobbyists, but I like the idea of the "Mark of Excellence". It will give you something to strive for.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-29-2012 at 06:25.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Interesting thought Steve. Although I will state that anyone who has spent nearly any time at all on this forum knows damn well that no logo under an avatar is necessary as a method of establishing your qualifications, professionalism, integrity, dedication, knowledge, helpfulness and a host of other praises. For the rest of us mere mortals though...as I said, an interesting thought. At least I'd have an ILDA wing and soon hopefully a variance wing.

Just one thing, a tiny mark, it need not expand into multiple, complex, groups of symbols

In fact, other then a small sticky some place, it should never be mentioned in a post.
    A "I have a burst and you don't post!" WILL be taboo. It is just plain WRONG to do that.

No, there will be no private forum for ":veterans:" or ":burst:" members.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Interesting thought Steve. Although I will state that anyone who has spent nearly any time at all on this forum knows damn well that no logo under an avatar is necessary as a method of establishing your qualifications, professionalism, integrity, dedication, knowledge, helpfulness and a host of other praises. For the rest of us mere mortals though...as I said, an interesting thought. At least I'd have an ILDA wing and soon hopefully a variance wing.
    "Applied for" gets you the "ONE FUNCTIONAL NERVE CELL LEFT" HIGHEST award of valour... LOL..

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Don't forget your soon to be PLIOC when the sabre arrives.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Awesome_Smiley___Soldier_TF2_by_Sitic.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	30199
    Last edited by sugeek; 01-29-2012 at 18:53.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    "Applied for" gets you the "ONE FUNCTIONAL NERVE CELL LEFT" HIGHEST award of valour... LOL..

Steve
    That IS one bit of mail I'll be excited to open!

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    Don't forget your soon to be PLIOC when the sabre arrives.

We HAVE that "wing" symbol already.... it's the retardo smiley I believe! LOL

I like the idea of having 'achievements' to encourage professionalism here on the forums.

But...

On the flip side, there will also be people who earned that 'professional' wing and will start to look down on newbies and people who are just learning the ropes. Ultimately, I predict there will be some kind of simple "Help!" question that can be solved by many of us through a lot of tinkering, and may not be so easy for a person just handling his first labbie, and a 'professional-wing-bearer' will chip into the thread and spoil a productive discussion by making a simple remark about doing your homework. Not necessarily with or without training wheels.

So even though I really support the notion of earning respect by showing professional conduct, it can be an excuse for some bearers of the achievement to patronize people. Obviously, this won't include the regulars who have been contributing and helping newbies since the forums started.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I want a gold star to show I'm speshul !! .........
    Attachment 30184
    Must be that time of year again ......

Hmm.. Just because something has engineer on it doesn’t mean it has engineer in it. I know, I have to hold the hands of about a third of our engineers.