Thread: Harvested Video Projectors

Default Harvested Video Projectors

Does anyone know if any of the video projectors that provide the diodes we use and are largely parted out for a few additional optics, fans etc are still operational sans blue? Or if anyone who does this can with not too much trouble retain the functionality in future harvesting to allow these projectors to function?

I am planning to look into the possibility of using direct, multi-color laser illumination of the DLPs to produce scanned output

... I've modified 4 of the Casio-projectors (and 3 from other vendors) to either 'only red' or complete 'lamp-less' mode.

The 'only red'-beamers are good for structured-light 3D-scanning, the 'lamp-less' are good for UV-3D-printing with a UV-lightsource or as 'white' beamer with any white light-source fitting into the light-channel (or directly on the DMD-chip) for different tasks ...

Viktor

PM Krazer .
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Daniel,
    Thanks I will.

VDX,
    With your modifications of this particular projector, was the extraction of the diodes naturally disruptive to the later functioning of the DLP, lens,controller.cooling etc. So would I have a reasonable chance of obtaining a usable machine after it had been harvested?

Is access to the FOV of the DLP module once the supplied light sources have been removed, convenient or is it tricky?

AFAIK removal of the diodes does not affect any other part of the projector. The 445nm diodes are confined to a rather neat lump of aluminium that comes out in one piece, thus disturbing nothing else.

I think you can still have it running with just a few diodes left in the block and some sort of ballast.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

... if you want the 'only red' mod and the flex-board, where the diodes were removed, is present (some shipped the beamers without them), then it's enough to shorten two pins on a connector to let the beamer run normally (but only projecting red)

For the 'lamp-less'-mod for white- or UV-beaming you have to do some more delicate SMT-soldering -- the 4 diode-banks are measured/controlled by drawn current with separate ADC's, so you have to fake this with defined voltages to the respective ADC pins.

With the complete empty beamers I had to solder 4 times the same resistor-bridges, with the one beamer with 3 empty banks and one populated with 6 diodes I had only to modify the 3 empty branches.

With the three non-Casio-DLP-beamers with a lamp instead of laserdiodes the 'lamp-less' modification was mostly shortening two pins ...

Viktor