Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TEXLEM 2012 Photos and Stories

Default TEXLEM 2012 Photos and Stories

I hope everyone will post their pics and videos, and comment!

Here are some pics from Friday.It was mostly meeting, and setup. There was some great chili and BBQ. I put out some VTVMs on the BS&T table for $5 each, Hakzaw also brought an Argon ion laser. Tomorrow the lumia workshop should start about 9-9:30 ?? Also the door prizes.. I never saw a Pangolin setup before and it is very impressive what it can do. Just saying it has been >2 decades since I last was a laser show and this with some hands on will be a very worthwhile educational experience.

The people that operate Urban 15 are the best, and very friendly and gracious people.

pics from L to R, by rows:
    Lumia and projector wrkshop area, and administrative area.
    Hakzaw's Argon laser - it was great to see this, wish I could have bought it!
    Power unit for laser. It is all complete.
    small projector, made real nice RGB images.

Lumia setup
    Unique Lumia with big glass glob
    Lumia , not alighed yet, just playing around
    My VTVMs for sale/trade. $5 each here.

Lumia picture
    Auditorium, a 3W beam show set up was runnig all day
    Hanging out
    Setting up scaffolding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0120.JPG  

100_0121.JPG  

100_0122.JPG  

100_0124.JPG  

100_0125.JPG  

100_0126.JPG  

100_0129.JPG  

100_0131.JPG  

100_0134.JPG  

100_0142.JPG  

100_0144.JPG  

100_0145.JPG  

Last edited by opcom; 02-04-2012 at 20:39.

Nice...Keep the pictures coming guys!!!

Wish I could be there with ya..

Mark

I see a couple of familiar faces...

Who all is attending this year?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I hope you guys are having a blast! Really wish I could have made it. Keep the pics coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    I see a couple of familiar faces...

Who all is attending this year?
    I'll let the organizers answer from the sign-in sheet as to whom is attending because I might leave some people out accidentally.

So far, people have come for one day or two, and many staying for Sunday. I am thinking maybe 20+ in all. We are having a riotous good time and right now at this moment the large auditorium/rehearsal room upstairs in the Urban 15 facility is well-fogged and full of beams of too many colors and directions to try and mention. Maybe 9 projectors? The event is going on well into the night with beam shows, graphics, and lumia, all with lots of music. (and a few hand-held lasers in the mix).

The door prizes are super, I'll let everyone say what they won, but I won a 300mW 445nm analog lab style blue-violet laser from AixiZ. Chuck at AixiZ was very gracious to have donated this expensive door prize! This rocks because I didn't have a blue, just a green.. I want to try my hand at some lumia.

Speaking of lumia,and other stuff, today we had workshops all day and learned about glass for lumia, how to select it, where to find it, how to cut it, and how to vacuum form plastic sheets and make 'copies' of hard-to-find glass textures. There was plenty of hands-on. We also made some plastic warp discs using a torch and some implements of destruction. Another segment of the training was making "torture tubes", where we took little glass bottles and warped them with a map gas torch. Everyone ended up with a granite texture glass disk, a vacuum formed plastic disc made with textures taken from stuff that was lying around, a torture tube, and a warp disc.

Another part of the workshop was projector tuning, where we learned about the different compensation types inside a projector's servo system. It was very educational to see how the gain, high frequency damping, and low frequency damping controls affected the dynamic registration of the beams. These controls interact and it is important to understand them in order to get the best pattern a particular projector can make. The physical mountings were also touched up.

Lots of hands-on, I am sure those who missed this must be disappointed, but next year I hope many more people can attend. None of this stuff is rocket science but it is highly technical and there are so many experience-based ways to do things, and 'best practices' that only the combined experience of several accomplished pros could relate this stuff to us. I go to a lot of engineering and technical seminars and can only say that if some consultancy was providing this event it would cost many hundreds just to get in the door (and would not be as much fun or include food and a place to crash)

I have a bunch of videos to upload and link to, but have to wait on that until I'm home and have a fast connection to my server. Here are a few more pictures.

pics in order, L-R by row:
    Two large sets of mirrors oppose each other in the auditorium
    Plastic disc before making a warp wheel
    These particular cheap earrings make a great number of reflections for lumia
    one workshop table -vacuum forming, glass cutting, plastic disc cutting, more..

Nice laser power meter!
    hole saws for cutting acrylic or lexan??)
    vacuum forming machine
    grinder for smoothing edges of glass disks

fused silica tubing
    torture tubes
    a glass doorknob - very good reflecting..

OK well it's not over yet - Still some to do Sunday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_9832.JPG  

100_0174.JPG  

100_0173.JPG  

100_0154.JPG  

100_0155.JPG  

100_0156.JPG  

100_0157.JPG  

100_0158.JPG  

100_0159.JPG  

100_0170.JPG  

100_0172.JPG  

Last edited by opcom; 02-04-2012 at 20:54.

PL Friends,

TEXLEM was a total success! More details to follow, but the folks at Urban 15 were awesome,
    food, shows, workshops, door prizes....wow!

ILDA in San Antonio this year!!! TEXLEM II will happen next year!!!

Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Congrats Guys,

Glad all went well.... Have a safe trip home.

Best Regards,
    Mark

videos and pics are being uploaded now, give it about 12 hours.. 10AM Monday! then it will be made available.The videos show some of the "how-to" for various skills. There are also a few videos of the early part of the laser show. I had no idea how much knowledge and experience was available at this event. Nothing but hit points and experience points as far as the eye could see.

The material will be here:
    http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/texlem2012/index.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails texlem_page_image1.gif  

I posted a few pictures...

The videos I need to convert to PL friendly formats.

Thanks to Urban 15 for having us and being wonderful hosts, you have a wonderful thing going on! I can't wait to go back down and visit next time I am in town (LEM or not). The company was good, I had a lot of fun playing with lasers, lumia, being a dork, and hanging out.

As for the door prizes I need to thank DrLava for a Flexmod P3 and I won one of the two grand prizes a certificate for a Mike Dunn laser show of my choice which is AWESOME! I do want to also thank: DZ (shutter kit), Chuck of Aixiz Lasers (FB3, 445 and a 532), Hak - lumia kit, Displacer - lumia kit, Tim Walsh (laser guided scissors), and the others I missed because that was off the top of my head! Pangolin was nice enough to send down t-shirts and other swag, thanks Bill. Another big thanks goes out to Platinum because he brought a case of Viso from Portland so I didn't have to break out my pure caffeine to spike fruit juice.

Everybody deserves a big thanks for making it a great event, I wish I had not had to leave so early today and miss seeing clandestiny.

I am tired, time to sleep.
    Adam
    Last edited by sugeek; 02-05-2012 at 19:59.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

SOOO JEALOUS!!!!! I hope there's an LEM in Phoenix one day soon. I have absolutely no money to travel but am dying to go to one. Glad you guys had a good time. I love the quad lumia setup. I'm a big fan of lumias. I need to get a few different types of glass to experiment some more. Anyway, even though I wasn't there I'll share this with you guys here

This is my lumia setup. For some reason the red appears much brighter on camera. It looks much better in person, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUXDIAUDtFg
    Last edited by ZeroPoint; 02-10-2012 at 06:39. Reason: i posted the wrong video, lol
    LASERS!!

1x Homemade 500mW 405nm Projector
    1x Homemade 1.2W RGB Projector
    1x Lightspace Color Ray Series 6W RGB
    2x Lightspace Venus 2W RGB

ZPL Lighting www.zpllighting.com