Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Large Blacklights

Also, not all 400W UV lamps are created equal.
    The EYE Iwasaki lamps are the best output and longest lasting.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Hey Lels

Not sure if there is anything more easily available than the trust 400W cannon type fixture.
    The wildfire is the only other option I've used, and that was only because they had a DMX shutter unit fitted so the LD could 'instantly' switch them on and off... Most discharge fixtures have a warm up time due to the nature of the lamp.

However, I recently added a bundle of the Chauvet LED UV wash fixtures to my hire stock as they're cheap as chips, DMX controllable (Dimmer/strobe) and provide a slightly narrower beam than the UV cannon. These would probably be the 'wedding dj' type fixtures you mentioned in your OP.. Admittedly, the output is not quite as good as a traditional cannon type unit, however, they're less than half the cost of a cannon and lamp so I can use twice as many to do the same job. Plus, being led, they're going to live longer (hopefully. I've only had them a few months so far so that hasn't been tested yet!)

Another consideration is the fact that most UV cannons don't travel well. I've had to replace far more lamps through mechanical failure through them being transported then from end of life failures... It's annoying to open a flightcase and find a bunch of broken glass in the bottom!
    Another reason I bought the LED units... no lamp to rattle loose and smash in transit!

If you're dead set on WildFire's, there's a website in the US that the big hire companies sell off their old used gear on... think it's gearsource.com or something similar. Try looking for them on there as they're pretty damn expensive new!

Hope that helps.
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Another consideration is the fact that most UV cannons don't travel well. I've had to replace far more lamps through mechanical failure through them being transported then from end of life failures... It's annoying to open a flightcase and find a bunch of broken glass in the bottom!
    What are you doing to them man!!

I've broken plenty of tubes, but never a 400W lamp. I always transport them face down, so I guess less stress on the base (although it's huge). I can see a hard knock if laying sideways might do it, but I'm yet to see it myself.
    I have however seen/spoken to a good number of people who've thrown away good lamps 'because it was rattling, so must've blown'
    Frikkin Lasers

Meh... Dry hire

Other people aren't as gentle with my kit as I am
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Well don't tell the wife but I scrounged all my loose change up and bought one of these: http://www.stagespot.com/product/ALT...%20120V%2060Hz . Should be here in about a week, so Ill throw it a review probably next weekend. I just hope its 10x better than the wedding DJ ones, because I literally could have bought 10 smaller 400watt washes. For for my purposes and ease 1 is better than 10.
    Corporate Member ILDA

No strobe effect, as you requested earlier.

And the focussing functionality is a joke, flood-angle is adjustable between 99 and 105 degrees.

I decided that I will get my strobe effect from a different light source, like an actual strobe light I simply needed a high quality black light wash so that's why I went with it.
    Corporate Member ILDA

I've seen some very good effects produced by over painting a regular picture with UV clear varnishes. When lit by the UV you get the UV reactive part of the picture, when lit by the white of the strobe (either on flash or blinder) you get the underlying image
    Frikkin Lasers

In this video I used a Wildfire 400 Wide Flood and a 600w Nocturn UV...One Wildfire 400w unit with a good lamp is super bright...

BTW....nice finds on ebay right now....If you can score it grab the 2 units for $2000....those two alone may handle the whole club in the main area for sure...then fill in as needed...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Stage-Lighti...p3286.c0.m1538